Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 13 Sep 21, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Hoops65
Gone all Goofy

Recent changes, anyone not going to Disney next time

Being from the UK its been a while since we were able to visit Disney and we always loved it there but following recent changes/announcements I think a lot of the magic has gone. We always joked that Disney was taking money from you with a smile but now appears the smile has gone.

To name just a few

lack of theming for hotel rooms now just IKEA with a character photos
new barges blocking view at Epcot
Innoventions loop gone
Massive increase in prices
Disney Genie
Lot of the new rides just do not appeal anymore with the exception of ROTR

We are supposed to be going there for 4 weeks next year (was 4 weeks last year then this). We had 3 weeks Disney passes booked which are now cancelled and can only purchase 2 week tickets whereas we would have been in the parks spending money for a few days in those additional week

We are now seriously discusing maybe get another 14 days universal/Seaword passes and spend the rest of the time visiting things we would not have done normally and going further afield

Basically it simply doesnt seem to be the same and I would rather remember as it was rather than spend 1000's at Disney and be left disappointed

Anyone else of similar thoughts ?

*Apologies just realised its similar to the Genie Plus enough to make you cancel thread

Edited at 07:03 PM.
Hoops65 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 21, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Doesn't make a difference to me, but at least you have some new reasons to add to the list compared to the usual threads.

Although I am with you on the IKEA rooms, it's ruined the Contemporary. Shame as the common area refurbs look good so far, don't know why they went cheap IP in the actual rooms. Think it'll get a refurb within a couple years, those decals will be peeling off within weeks.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 21, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Shinealight
Getting Excited

We were only going to do Hollywood Studios and Epcot on our visit next year however when we worked it out we may as well just get the ultimate tickets for all the parks.

Edited at 09:09 PM.
Shinealight is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Danex
slightly serious Dibber

We are planning for 2023 and we were only doing Universal, Seaworld, DC etc.

But now we have 2 friends coming with us who are first timers and want to do Disney so we’re going now as well.

Although we’ll be staying in a villa rather than our usual on-site at Disney, I’m not paying the hotel prices for no benefits.

Of course if they bring out free dining for 2023 that might change lol 😂
Danex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

we have holiday vouchers to use and are hovering over pressing the button on WDW rather than the Maldives. It has been about 6 years since we last went so there is enough for us to see and do. It will be for the last weeks in August so crowds should be low enough to not worry about genie+, accommodation to be decided but im not going to drive this time - uber all the way.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
MrIncredible
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

As it stands I’m done with Disney for the foreseeable future.

Cancelled my trip for next year and feel 100 times better since I did.
MrIncredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We weren't meant to be doing to WDW in 2019 but we caved and went anyway.
So we'd already decided not to go on our next trip (currently next year), but the addition/subtraction of benefits etc has certainly made us think we're doing the right thing.

The annoying thing is 2 newbies are coming with us and will do WDW and I just know its not going to be the same as we've seen it before.
grant_w is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
KBRB
slightly serious Dibber

Its going to change the way i do it. No way am i paying onsite prices for the privilege of getting up at 7am to beat others in a race to pay an up charge.

They took the Free DDP, i did nothing.
They took the EMH, I did nothing.
They took the free magic bands. I did nothing
They took the magic express. I did nothing.

They try and make me pay $15 a day per person and then have the idea for Pay per ride? Thats it for me.
KBRB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

It's a complex issue, for sure. Usually money (or lack thereof) was at the forefront of all my decisions about when to go to Orlando. Thanks to pandemic/furlough savings, I'm in a unique position (for me) in that I could have paid the balance on Sep 22 when I booked it. Ironically I think it's made me reconsider doing Disney slightly more if anything.

Would we get the same experience as before, or at least close enough to not feel aggrieved at the price? - this is the key for me. I reckon Universal we could bend to our will and get a cracking holiday regardless, just as long as we could get there. Disney I'm not so sure of. If it wasn't for EPCOT and Animal Kingdom it would be a no brainer.

As I said in another thread, I'm torn. Part of me thinks I only get 12 full days in Orlando anyway so Universal, SeaWorld and KSC (love that place, definitely want to go back if I can) would be more than enough. Part of me thinks my heart will be drifting towards Kilimanjaro Safaris and Soarin'.

The last part thinks if value for money is that important to me, why have I spent £20k (and am planning to spend another £10k) on 4 (maybe 6) weeks in Orlando... then I realise I may not anywhere near as financially prudent as I like to think I am!

Ask me again tomorrow, I'll probably have a different answer and different reasoning
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 04:28 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Not at all…. Looking forward to getting back again next year and doing it bigger and better than we ever have done before….