Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Sep 21, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by goofyfave View Post
Where are you finding these cheap flights to Tampa?! I wouldn't mind at all but for my dates next year they are coming up pretty much the same as MCO. What am I doing wrong?!
I got a great price for Tampa compared to MCO but I booked on day of release. It had jumped by around £900 (for four people) a day later.
HFJohnson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I changed my booking today!

LHR to Miami 17th August
1 day car hire drop off at Hard Rock
Pick car up 2 days later when we move to Disney
Fly home Tampa to London - 5th September
£3089 - 2 adults 2 teens.

Virgin was £3900, and they’re letting me change my booking to hotel only & keeping the Hard Rock so I won’t lose my deposit. (£50pp admin fee)

But still an overall saving of £500-600 and 3 extra days, so gone from 16 nights to 19 nights.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
I have done this journey several times, it is about 65 miles to Champions gate and usually takes about 1hr 10. You will almost certainly be in Champions gate quicker, from landing to villa, than you would from MCO. I can appreciate the time difference, but I for one am never in bed after landing before 10pm ET and I dare say neither are most of us.

Dave
We prefer Tampa and would choose it over MCO every time if prices were similar but just wanted to mention our experience of driving across on the Saturday of Presidents’ Day weekend in 2020.

It took nearly two hours to drive from the airport to Universal, and as Mazbar said, by this point it was late at night so being stuck in traffic after the long flight was not much fun. Yes we were going further than Champions Gate or Disney and yes it was a holiday weekend but if anyone is booking under similar circumstances to us, it’s worth bearing in mind it probably won’t be 1 hour 10 minutes in that case. But we did have a short immigration wait so probably would have been swings and roundabouts with MCO that day.
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Where are you flying from?- as for me, it’s about the same as MCO 🙄
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
kells
Trainee Dibber

Gatwick to Tampa from 21st august to 4th September. Still wasn’t cheap but was 822 each for four people plus car hire, mco was £1100 each.
Old 19 Sep 21, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

Is it only London airports that fly to Tampa?
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by themeparksandy View Post
Is it only London airports that fly to Tampa?
Yes, generally BA from Gatwick.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Steve Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by kells View Post
I was looking for our flights and car hire for next year and it is £300 cheaper per person direct to Tampa rather than mco, for a family of 4 that’s a fair bit to save but was just wondering if anyone has experience of Tampa, other than distance is there any other disadvantage from using Tampa, we plan on getting a villa around champions gate area.
Thanks in advance guys.
100% worth the saving. I would fly to and have done a few times to Miami for that kind of discount. Tampa to Orlando is a nice easy drive.
Steve Florida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

So it maybe quicker coach transfer than flying into Sanford or Melbourne but wouldn’t want to drive 2 and a half hrs from Birmingham without traffic and last time I flew back to Gatwick when XL airways went bust I nearly crashed the rental car on the way home for been tired. Be looking at flying from Birmingham for Melbourne airport or Manchester for Orlando airport depending on the price.
Maybe when the kids are older could think about flying to Tampa or even in direct flights.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by themeparksandy View Post
So it maybe quicker coach transfer than flying into Sanford or Melbourne but wouldn’t want to drive 2 and a half hrs from Birmingham without traffic and last time I flew back to Gatwick when XL airways went bust I nearly crashed the rental car on the way home for been tired. Be looking at flying from Birmingham for Melbourne airport or Manchester for Orlando airport depending on the price.
Maybe when the kids are older could think about flying to Tampa or even in direct flights.
I would dream of a mere 2.5 hours drive to my departure airport. Our choices (and we arrive in the evening at rush hour) are…
LHR at 5 hours on a good day.
LGW at 6.5 hours on a good day as we hit it at around 1700.

Clearly with those distances, we must inevitably travel up on the day before.

Probably my often stated preference for anything out of LHR is partly fuelled by my dread of the M25 South and this makes an indirect from LHR generally quicker than a direct from LGW when looking door to hotel room. It is also this preference for LHR that may have influenced our ever increasing desire to see the rest of the USA, given that this is the most prolific airport for those flights into Boston, NY, D.C., California etc.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List