Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Sep 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Should I remove dead heads?

I have these sunflower type plants - while most are blooming, some flowers have clearly come to their end and either petals falling of or all gone.

Should i remove the heads? And do I just pull them off or cut them or?! Will they grow again?

Also, once they completely die, should i cut the long stalks right back?

Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Alison. No idea sorry but may I jump on this thread and ask the same question ref my lavenders that are in tubs.

Hope you don't mind.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Alison. No idea sorry but may I jump on this thread and ask the same question ref my lavenders that are in tubs.

Hope you don't mind.
Not at all!

We need a friendly gardener to pop in!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

Hope you don't mind.
Lavender definitely needs to be cut right back down. If you don’t it will get all woody at the base. I’m no gardener by any means but we do have quite a few lavender bushes as they seem to thrive in our garden.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Lavender definitely needs to be cut right back down. If you don’t it will get all woody at the base. I’m no gardener by any means but we do have quite a few lavender bushes as they seem to thrive in our garden.
Do you any views on sunflowers 🙂
Old 16 Sep 21, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

From the photo they look like a variety of dahlias - did you plant them and if so were they a tubers you planted of do they die down over winter and come back up in the spring (can be late spring for some of our dahlias depending on the variety). If they are dahlias then I do take the dead heads off.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

They are not sunflowers but Dahlias and definitely dead head and cut back so the strength can return

Lavender is hardy but late autumn cut back to the base - no need to dead head but it can be nice to pick a bunch and smoulder it around the house at night
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
Do you any views on sunflowers 🙂
Sorry I did not include you as I wasn’t sure what they were and would have been guessing what to do.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

This is my patch at top end of the garden. They are a variety of Rudbeckia, you can see mine have a darker centre. Hardy perennials ( come back every year and multiply). They will die back , just leave them.

For the lavenders, as op posted you should be cutting down from now. Don’t cut too far though, woody stems (old part) will not flower for you next year. A nice trim works wonders
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 21, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by silverfox46 View Post
This is my patch at top end of the garden. They are a variety of Rudbeckia, you can see mine have a darker centre. Hardy perennials ( come back every year and multiply). They will die back , just leave them.

For the lavenders, as op posted you should be cutting down from now. Don’t cut too far though, woody stems (old part) will not flower for you next year. A nice trim works wonders
Sounds like my head! So that's why I am all but bald - the Barber cut too much off and the woody bits failed.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List