Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 May 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

With a couple of minor exceptions that won’t apply to the OP, BA Club World has 8 seats across in 2-4-2 configuration (the new Club seat coming later this year in 1-2-1, but rollout will be slow and very unlikely to be relevant for the OP here).

All the window seats face rearwards and all the aisle seats face forwards, so with a window/aisle pair you’re sort of facing the person next to you, with a divider screen that can be raised. The centre pairs face rearwards and don’t have the up/down divider, so are probably preferable with a 6 year old who wouldn’t like to be separated.

I would bear in mind that while BA will allocate seats free of charge 3-6 days out due to the child in the party, you may want to consider paying to get the seats you want. Due to the smaller cabin (especially on refurb LGW 777s with only 32 CW seats) and usually more people with free advance seat selection privileges, it’s harder for BA to keep families together than in economy. The child would be close to you within CAA guidelines, but given the layout, possibly not as you’d prefer, subject to availability. I’d recommend factoring seat reservation cost into your calculations.

Edited at 10:43 AM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi Claire,
We are also taking the plunge using Club world this year with our 7 year old and we are a party of 3. There are quite a few seats remaining on way out but not as many on return leg, although knowing one of us will be seated with her am not too concerned. I certainly will not be paying £600 to secure seats each way!
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

If it help at all, this is the barrier (down, he disappeared when I raised it ) between mine & DS’s seats on BA business last month MIA-LHR.

Excuse the face, he can’t take a normal photo!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DurhamGirl View Post
I would also recommend booking the FlyDrive - no additional insurance to purchase and straight across the road from the terminal exit.
Please look at both options on tgecBA website:
1 fly/drive
2 flight only tgen add car hire to booking.

I have found getting a price for a flight, then adding a car still gives you the deposit, but the price for the same flights and same car cones out cheaper
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireVC
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
With a couple of minor exceptions that won’t apply to the OP, BA Club World has 8 seats across in 2-4-2 configuration (the new Club seat coming later this year in 1-2-1, but rollout will be slow and very unlikely to be relevant for the OP here).

All the window seats face rearwards and all the aisle seats face forwards, so with a window/aisle pair you’re sort of facing the person next to you, with a divider screen that can be raised. The centre pairs face rearwards and don’t have the up/down divider, so are probably preferable with a 6 year old who wouldn’t like to be separated.

I would bear in mind that while BA will allocate seats free of charge 3-6 days out due to the child in the party, you may want to consider paying to get the seats you want. Due to the smaller cabin (especially on refurb LGW 777s with only 32 CW seats) and usually more people with free advance seat selection privileges, it’s harder for BA to keep families together than in economy. The child would be close to you within CAA guidelines, but given the layout, possibly not as you’d prefer, subject to availability. I’d recommend factoring seat reservation cost into your calculations.
Thank you, great advice
ClaireVC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireVC
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Hi Claire,
We are also taking the plunge using Club world this year with our 7 year old and we are a party of 3. There are quite a few seats remaining on way out but not as many on return leg, although knowing one of us will be seated with her am not too concerned. I certainly will not be paying £600 to secure seats each way!
I hope it all goes well, thanks for your feedback, I think I’ll really look into this.
ClaireVC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Please look at both options on tgecBA website:
1 fly/drive
2 flight only tgen add car hire to booking.

I have found getting a price for a flight, then adding a car still gives you the deposit, but the price for the same flights and same car cones out cheaper
I agree with this, IME fly drives always come out significantly more than booking separately.

We don’t pay to pre book our seats when we fly BA, we’ve always been sat together either at free selection time or last month it auto selected for us.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ABZDisney
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I would echo what previous posters have said, BA Club World is a huge step up from the premium economy offerings of both Virgin & BA.
Assuming that you opt for BA & based on the fact that there are three of you travelling then I would opt for the two middle seats & an aisle seat, which will allow one of you to sit with the youngster & the other to sit in the aisle.
The aisle seat faces forward while the two middle face to the rear, with the screen lowered you can easily have a conversation with the person in the other seat.
Anytime we fly BA we always pay to book the seats that we want, I know some people don't but it's a lottery on BA if you don't particularly in Club & we like to know where we are sitting.
Another option that you may want to consider is Aer Lingus via Dublin, they have some great business class fares to Orlando & although the UK to Dublin, Dublin to UK legs put some people off we love clearing customs & immigration in Dublin & walking off the plane in the States as a domestic passenger, you also get access to the lounge in Dublin on the way back, so you can grab a shower & freshen up before your flight to the UK.
All of the business class seats face forward & they are flat beds as well, we actually prefer Aer Lingus over BA.
November 2014 at Old Key West & The Yacht Club
November 2012 at The Swan
ABZDisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

The 2 seats in the middle face backwards and and with the partions up give the impression of being in your own pod . The seats either side if the passengers are reclining you have to climb over their legs to get out , and the people in the seats either side have the cabin crew leaning over them when they are serving your food .I didn't think they were worth the money.

Virgin PE used to be great when you just had the 28 ? seats in the bubble , maybe my memory is playing tricks but PE these days seems to be what economy used to be , in regards to room ?
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by lesley1960 View Post
The 2 seats in the middle face backwards and and with the partions up give the impression of being in your own pod . The seats either side if the passengers are reclining you have to climb over their legs to get out , and the people in the seats either side have the cabin crew leaning over them when they are serving your food .I didn't think they were worth the money.

Virgin PE used to be great when you just had the 28 ? seats in the bubble , maybe my memory is playing tricks but PE these days seems to be what economy used to be , in regards to room ?
I first travelled in PE in 2002, I always researched seat pitch and it was 38 inches then and it is 38 inches now. Definitely always been the case for both BA and Virgin. I never looked at seat width though, maybe that has changed, I don’t know.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List