Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 May 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
show_the_magic
Excited about Disney

Mobile Newbie needing advice!

Hi all! I plan to binge read though some forums tonight but in the meantime I'm hoping someone can advise me on how to book.
I'm looking to take my 5 yr old next May, preferably a Disney moderate resort. Am I best booking direct? How would I then book flights? What is the average cost for direct flights at the beginning of May?
Sorry if I sound daft but I'm a bit nervous about booking it all myself and not through a tour operator... unless a tour operator is the better option?
show_the_magic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
show_the_magic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Also; what airline is best to book with?
show_the_magic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Mobile

Originally Posted by show_the_magic View Post
Also; what airline is best to book with?
Welcome!

If you asked this to 10 different people you’d likely get 10 different answers.

What’s most important to you?

Price
Airport location
Direct flights
Etc

Ours is price. So I use Kayak to compare prices and go from there. Make sure you include extra luggage charges (find this on the airlines website).

My biggest tip would be to do as many dummy bookings / pricing ups as you can. You’ll get a feel for what’s a good deal, what’s not and what’s fair.

Don’t rush into booking something if you’re not 100% sure.

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hello and welcome.

I’ve just come back from WDW Moderate resort with a five year old grandson. First of all he and you will love it.

As for methods of booking everyone has different reasons for doing so but fundamentally it usually comes down to price.

Price up direct with Disney. ( you should qualify for free dining)
Then look at airfares usual suspects are
virgin, BA, Tui, Thomas Cook and Norwegian , all depending on where you are flying from and to.

Do you need a car? If so possibly a fly drive would be better but factor in Disney resort parking

Then

Grab a few moments and look at what the travel agent side of
Virgin
Tui
Thomas cook
And others and see how the prices and offers compare.

Lots of people on here will be able to point you in the right direction but eventually it comes down to price. Some people prefer booking direct others prefer an agent. Me personally I book direct and get my own flights. Make sure you have insurance in place and read up about ESTA requirements and getting one before laying out big money

Edited at 07:19 PM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Mobile

Regarding booking direct or not, just price up what’s best for you and your budget.
Sometimes a package is cheaper, sometimes it’s not. Sometimes booking direct is cheaper, sometimes it’s not.

Regarding flights. Most flights are released at around 11 months prior to the date you arrive home, so you’re likely going to have to wait for a bit if you’re booking flights separately.

Start searching now and see what comes up.

You don’t sound daft at all. It’s a lot to take in. Take a pen and pad and write the prices down as you go so you don’t get confused.

Just ask any questions on here; there’ll always be someone around to answer!

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Trebor1
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi all! I plan to binge read though some forums tonight but in the meantime I'm hoping someone can advise me on how to book.
I'm looking to take my 5 yr old next May, preferably a Disney moderate resort. Am I best booking direct? How would I then book flights? What is the average cost for direct flights at the beginning of May?
Sorry if I sound daft but I'm a bit nervous about booking it all myself and not through a tour operator... unless a tour operator is the better option?
We looked at DIY initially and booked a villa only for the owner to sell up and cancel. But they gave us plenty of notice.

We have a 7 year old and didnt want to chance that happening again so searched for a package and got a really good deal with Virgin Holidays. Villa Car etc. Liked a Villa with having a child of that age to give us space etc especially on a night.

Direct flights were also an important factor for us as didnt want a mega long travel day.

I just shopped around and took a price I was happy paying. Booked park tickets with attraction tickets direct. They were very reasonable and recommended.

Good luck and enjoy.
Trebor1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
show_the_magic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thank you all!
I'm flexible with dates and airports (UK ones). Wont be needing a car. I've got a quote with Virgin which surprisingly seems the best available.
I will look at Kayak and see if I can get some dummy prices when the time comes round to do so.
Do flights have to be paid upfront?
Old 20 May 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Trebor1
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you all!
I'm flexible with dates and airports (UK ones). Wont be needing a car. I've got a quote with Virgin which surprisingly seems the best available.
I will look at Kayak and see if I can get some dummy prices when the time comes round to do so.
Do flights have to be paid upfront?
Be careful with Kayak I've heard iffy things of booking flights via them. People not getting what they booked etc.

Virgin can be very competitive and the planes(in flight entertainment and kids stuff they provide) and overall service is fab. Like anyone they're not perfect.

Edited at 07:59 PM.
Trebor1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStacey
Apprentice Imagineer

I use Skyscanner to check flight prices and have always found the best time to book late April/early May flights is in mid September.

Depending on where you’re flying from, I wouldn’t be paying more than £400pp - the last two years we have flown at that time and have paid around £350pp. We booked both of these times with Netflights.

Last year fights even dropped to the mid £200’s. These were with virgin from Manchester.
BA also often has some really good prices from Gatwick as well.

Flight only bookings do generally have to be paid for upfront.

The only thing I would look out for regarding booking flights is that your luggage is included (assuming you need it), since virgin introduced the economy lite fare (not including luggage) it’s easy to get caught out with what seems a good price. (You will most likely be wanting the economy classic fare).

It all seems daunting at first, but keep reading the forums and asking questions and you will soon build up a good knowledge of things.

ETA - a piece of good advise I was given was: research flight prices for that time of year, check prices regularly (often several times a day), and book when you see a price you’re happy with. And then don’t look again!

Edited at 08:27 PM.
DisneyStacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
show_the_magic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

This is all great advice, thank you so much everyone. My brain frazzled with all the number crunching so I'm going to read through some of the forum and have a look at it all again tomorrow.
Thanks again!