Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 8 Jan 22, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I think it's just a case of being very careful about your choices and avoiding sauces - asking for either no sauce or on the side- as these have hidden carbs.

Breakfasts - go for berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry) with cream or sausages, eggs, smoked salmon, bacon - all low in carbs.

If you are making your own food, the Americans seem to have a much greater range of low carb products - check the labels - including breads. I have to make my own bread here as there isn't much (any!) in the shops.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 22, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
homerthecowboy
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
I think it's just a case of being very careful about your choices and avoiding sauces - asking for either no sauce or on the side- as these have hidden carbs.

Breakfasts - go for berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry) with cream or sausages, eggs, smoked salmon, bacon - all low in carbs.

If you are making your own food, the Americans seem to have a much greater range of low carb products - check the labels - including breads. I have to make my own bread here as there isn't much (any!) in the shops.
I'm type 2 diagnosed last April, managed to get my hba1c from 86 down to 28, I'm on Metformin but trying my hardest to put it into remission and I'm on course to do it, eating out can be hard but learning what is acceptable for me by testing blood sugars regularly
homerthecowboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 22, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
If you like broccoli you should be good to swap it for fries. seasonal veg nine times out of ten is broccoli ..I don't like it.

I have had philli cheesesteak with broccoli instead of fries and no bread. I begrudge paying for the bun but hey ho.

Ranch dressing is my favourite on a salad and is low carb, just remember to say no crutons or you could pick them out.

I usually fall off the wagon while out there but places like cracker barrel may offer more choice of veg than just the usual broccoli

chicken wings in buffalo sauce are also low carb

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 22, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by homerthecowboy View Post
I'm type 2 diagnosed last April, managed to get my hba1c from 86 down to 28, I'm on Metformin but trying my hardest to put it into remission and I'm on course to do it, eating out can be hard but learning what is acceptable for me by testing blood sugars regularly
86 to 28 is an amazing reduction - that must put you into the non diabetic range or remission range? Well done!

I thought my (hard fought!) 42 was good but 28 is amazingly low!

I don’t have much advice for T2 but the Freestyle Libre transformed my 44 years of T1 - lifechanging.
Old 9 Jan 22, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
Looking towards our next trip (2023), I was thinking about food 😁😁.

Since our last visit, I've had to change to low carb due to blood glucose issues.

Has anyone found it harder/ more difficult to eat out while following low carb? I'm guessing it won't be an issue in most places to change fries to salad etc.

We'll be eating off-site for lunch or dinner and some breakfasts.

Any recommendations on specific places to eat would also be great.

Thank you
I’m in exactly the same position and we have a couple of trips planned before you.

I’ll do a food report when there. Fully expecting to make a couple of mistakes but will be doing my best to avoid carbs and sugar spikes.

Just researching universal menus at the moment and a few offsite places for next month and more than happy to share once I pull something together.
Old 9 Jan 22, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
I’m in exactly the same position and we have a couple of trips planned before you.

I’ll do a food report when there. Fully expecting to make a couple of mistakes but will be doing my best to avoid carbs and sugar spikes.

Just researching universal menus at the moment and a few offsite places for next month and more than happy to share once I pull something together.
Fantastic. Looking forward to reading all about it .
Old 9 Jan 22, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
homerthecowboy
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
86 to 28 is an amazing reduction - that must put you into the non diabetic range or remission range? Well done!

I thought my (hard fought!) 42 was good but 28 is amazingly low!

I don’t have much advice for T2 but the Freestyle Libre transformed my 44 years of T1 - lifechanging.
Fingers crossed I keep it up luckily my annual review is 3 weeks before we go to Orlando so can worry a little less whilst there, I've been using libre 2 as well but have to self fund with being type 2 which gets really costly but good to know what spikes your sugars I've been using it for about 2 months now, do you find the a1c accurate to the lab results?
homerthecowboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 22, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Fingers crossed I keep it up luckily my annual review is 3 weeks before we go to Orlando so can worry a little less whilst there, I've been using libre 2 as well but have to self fund with being type 2 which gets really costly but good to know what spikes your sugars I've been using it for about 2 months now, do you find the a1c accurate to the lab results?
Your results are amazing. I’m due my first check of a1c at the start of next month. Like you I bought a monitor to use to check my sugars. Do you plan to take your away with you?
Old 9 Jan 22, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
homerthecowboy
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Your results are amazing. I’m due my first check of a1c at the start of next month. Like you I bought a monitor to use to check my sugars. Do you plan to take your away with you?
I plan on using the freestyle whilst away as no issues taking it around the parks and will let me know if it's too low, was really happy with the a1c results and have managed to lose 5 and a half stones in 9 months so that will help with the results
Old 9 Jan 22, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

That's brilliant and you sound similar to my husband, who was in the 90s a year and a bit ago. He had an appointment check up just before Xmas and is now off all medication. So I guess it's never going to go away, but the low carb diet has definitely worked for him. I'm sure you can do it too! Just look for no bread, pasta, rice or potatoes - the big ones! - abs choose fish, meat and green veg where possible.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List