Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Jan 22, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
arty688
Helping Mickey

Upper Class

Hello,

Just booked my tickets LHR-MIA and have noticed the upgrade on the way back to Upper class is £650 a lot of money but not as much as I thought it would be.

So I'm seriously considering fgiving the family a lifetime experience. a few questions

Is this a good price or just a normal price ?

How does the bidding thing work and what sort of chance do you have of getting it cheaper?

Is it worth it ?

Sorry about the last question the answer probably is no but not everything has to make sense...

Cheers
arty688 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

That is a bloody good price (IMHO) and worth grabbing. The lounge at MIA isn't that great but a lot better than the terminal but to have the bed on flight home (plus use of the onboard bar if you cant sleep) would swing it for me without a doubt plus you will get to use revivals at LHR when you land for shower and breakfast which really means you can maximise sleep onboard (ie skip onboard breakfast) and the revivals lounge really is very good indeed.

Edited at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

You'll get two main camps for Upper. Those doing it for the seat comfort and those doing it for the experience.

If you want to do it as a "once in a lifetime" experience, I'd recommend trying to upgrade your outbound flight rather than the return. On the outbound, you get the proper Virgin Clubhouses which are much better than the Delta Sky Club lounges you will get in the US. And it's also a day flight, so you get more service from the cabin crew and are actually awake to experience it. It will usually be significantly more expensive than a return upgrade though.

I am in it for comfort, so I prefer to upgrade the return for the lay flat bed. Therefore, I wouldn't personally pay a huge amount for the upgrade but will do it if on a decent deal. Whether £650 is a good price will depend what you paid for your original tickets but it sounds good if you got an average price for them.

Edited at 01:00 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
arty688
Helping Mickey

Upgrade not an option on the way out , also I would guess if it was it would be a lot more. I paid £2.3k (economy delight)for the 4 of us so the upgrade would be more than the flights so head saying 'don't be stupid'
arty688 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
12randal
Excited about Disney

12randal's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
i would be of the camp imagine the experiences i could give my family in Orlando with £2.5k
especially as it is the return flight no one will be happy when you disembark in the UK
12randal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
You'll get two main camps for Upper. Those doing it for the seat comfort and those doing it for the experience.

If you want to do it as a "once in a lifetime" experience, I'd recommend trying to upgrade your outbound flight rather than the return. On the outbound, you get the proper Virgin Clubhouses which are much better than the Delta Sky Club lounges you will get in the US. And it's also a day flight, so you get more service from the cabin crew and are actually awake to experience it. It will usually be significantly more expensive than a return upgrade though.

I am in it for comfort, so I prefer to upgrade the return for the lay flat bed. Therefore, I wouldn't personally pay a huge amount for the upgrade but will do it if on a decent deal. Whether £650 is a good price will depend what you paid for your original tickets but it sounds good if you got an average price for them.
A perfect summary.

I'm certainly all about the experience, so if I were pushing the boat out for what may be a one-off, I'd do outbound. I see little merit in spending a fair chunk of cash so I can lie down and try and get some sleep - I'll do that when I get home. Mrs B, on the other hand, would be the exact opposite.

From "drive-thru check-in", through the Clubhouse and then the in-flight experience - outbound wins for me every time.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

For us, that £650 each would be next years flights taken care of, so although I would love to do it, I wouldn’t.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Malificent
Imagineer

I would say, go for it!

You’ll be glad you did with those beds!

Can I ask - where do you see the upgrade price?
Old 21 Jan 22, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
arty688
Helping Mickey

I went into the manage my booking and the Miami flights had a button to the right which said upgrade to PE for £343 so I clicked it and it went into the seating plan and if you selected an upper class seat a pop up said £647.

Reason has prevailed I'm not in the position I can justify spending extra £2.5k , we did PE a few years back so that'll have to do .
Old 21 Jan 22, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

The usual on-the-gate price for Economy to Upper is £750, so this isn't too bad.

Is it worth it? I've had amazing flights in UC on the 787 and 747 (now gone).

However, A330 was terrible and definitely not worth the money IMHO. Absolutely packed in and cramped.

A350 would be the best one with the new suite. I'm yet to do that one as my flight got cancelled. I'd secured seat 1A but never got to do it.

So I'd advise factoring in the aircraft type too.

That's my view on it 😉
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List