Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 21 Jan 22, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MUAlumni View Post
Is there any particular reason for this? We have been looking at planning our next trip for August 2023 and I’ve seen a lot of calendars showing the end of August less crowded than other times of the year
US schools start going back in August so it gets quieter as more return to school.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
WindyMiller2
Very Serious Dibber

WindyMiller2's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
Disney are the worst for it. Only on two occasions has the waited post time matched, we’ve had anywhere from 30-10mins less waits than posted.

This is probably the cynic in me but I feel the longer posted waits and the way they’re currently operating the queues (lots of outside queuing and not really opening much of the inside queues to pile everyone in therefore making the queues look longer) is just to try convince people to A) buy genie+ and B) make it look like it was worth it for Genie+ when they see the wait time and walk past the “long” queue.

Have to agree too. The posted standby wait times are often longer than actual wait times. The cynic in me thinks the same. Perhaps the Genie+ purchase isint quite as expected. For a family of 4 its expensive on top of ticket and parking too.
WindyMiller2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by MUAlumni View Post
Is there any particular reason for this? We have been looking at planning our next trip for August 2023 and I’ve seen a lot of calendars showing the end of August less crowded than other times of the year
As mentioned above, US schools start to go back around mid-August. So the end of August tends to be a bit quieter (note that I said quieter and not quiet ).

Last year, the parks were pretty quiet at the end of August. If you look at the last week of August 2021, the average wait time for FOP was generally 30 minutes or less.

The only problem with August is that it's very hot and humid. So bear that in mind if you go then.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WindyMiller2 View Post
Have to agree too. The posted standby wait times are often longer than actual wait times. The cynic in me thinks the same. Perhaps the Genie+ purchase isint quite as expected. For a family of 4 its expensive on top of ticket and parking too.
Yes, I think Genie+ isn't being taken up as much as has been calculated in the wait times. Their algorithms seem to be quite simple so I think it's calculated based on full G+ usage when they're seeing far less than that. That's just speculation on my part but it's very similar to the industry I work in, so it's an educated guess.

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
As mentioned above, US schools start to go back around mid-August. So the end of August tends to be a bit quieter (note that I said quieter and not quiet ).

Last year, the parks were pretty quiet at the end of August. If you look at the last week of August 2021, the average wait time for FOP was generally 30 minutes or less.

The only problem with August is that it's very hot and humid. So bear that in mind if you go then.
You have to exclude August 2021 from wait time stats as this is when Delta spiked, so there were massive cancellations in an already quieter time. Attendance was down at least a third against forecast.

But generally speaking, the new "low" season is late August through September. Not winter as it used to be many years ago now.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
With respect to wait times for both fastpass and fastpass+ with the exception when rides break down I found standby times were always longer than actual, and touring plans over the years as proven this.

If you join a Q saying 120 mins and you are through in 100 mins you are happy, if you join a Q saying 100mins and it takes 120mins you are unhappy.

Its the disney pixie dust magic
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive
baggies is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
glenandem
Apprentice Imagineer

Did another park today that was empty, SeaWorld although it’s never been busy for us since the black fish scandal that hit it!
Walked on both rides apart from manta that was closed and shamu show or whatever they prefer to call it these days😂 was very empty in the stadium.
Was a pleasant day in the glorious weather again.
It’s only mainly Disney I’m hearing that’s mainly rammed these days with universal hit n miss!
glenandem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
You have to exclude August 2021 from wait time stats as this is when Delta spiked, so there were massive cancellations in an already quieter time. Attendance was down at least a third against forecast.
Well, just wait until the Omega variant hits this coming August.

But, yeah, last August was a bit different.

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
But generally speaking, the new "low" season is late August through September. Not winter as it used to be many years ago now.
Late August to the end of September has always been the low season.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 04:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I stood and waited 30 minutes for the People Mover today in MK. You know its busy when the queue for that is more than 5 mins ! Lol

Old 23 Jan 22, 02:17 AM  
Link to this Post
LittleDot
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

We are finding the crowds really busy for what we thought would be a relatively quiet time.

We did however brave Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Rail which said it was a 45 minute wait only for it to be roughly 25/30 minute so I do understand the sentiment above!

It wouldn't surprise me tbh. We did do MK one of the days and did 1 ride in 5 hours because everything was posting 60 minutes however the day after we did G+ and managed to get on nearly everything so we left 'happy'. Maybe that's what they want however you can visually see some of the rides looked a lot busier than usual I.e. queue for Small World was outside Pinnochios, Peter Pan was by Rapnuzels WC, People Mover was snaking around Tomorrowland.

We will probably do G+ for HS as we didn't really experience anything when we went without it because it was so busy everywhere.
LittleDot is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
WindyMiller2
Very Serious Dibber

WindyMiller2's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post
I stood and waited 30 minutes for the People Mover today in MK. You know its busy when the queue for that is more than 5 mins ! Lol

Yes, we waited 25 mins for people mover too, longest ever wait They did seem to be slowing people getting on, e.g., once the escalator was full, they stopped the queue and people getting on for a while, then load again, whereas whenever we have been on it before it was a continuous loading.

Hence I saw many people mover carriages going round overhead with no-one on them!
WindyMiller2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List