Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Sep 21, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

My sister is a midwife and hasnt enough fuel to get to work and home today unless she can get some , looks like either shes sleeping at the hospital or those babies will have to hang on !
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Feebee2 View Post
Our experience of this supposed easy street benefit system is far from easy street.
DH who is poorly can't work as he can't use his legs or arms and can't speak. His benefit is £120 a week. Anyone fancy living off that.
💜

My comment was aimed at those who can work, are able, but choose to scrounge instead.

They walk amongst us.

Disney332
Old 25 Sep 21, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
annachief
Imagineer

Ok so rather than blaming each other or people on benefits (not entirely sure how that is relevant). What solutions should there be?

I’m very surprised that the government have been rather quiet/absent and all I’ve seen is ministers saying there is no crisis despite many people on here saying there are long queues at stations or stations empty of petrol/diesel. It all seems a bit like the scene in naked gun where there was a huge explosion and Frank Drebin says there’s nothing to see here?! I think a start is admit there is a run on fuel as people are scared they won’t be able to do their normal plans whether that’s get to work, visits to family etc. So that has led to shortages and actually quite large road jams. What is their solution to deal with it, both immediately and to stop it from happening again?
annachief is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

There isn't an easy solution though is there.

A combination of Covid, Brexit, IR35 and the generally poor working conditions in the industry have led to a massive driver shortage and even the easing of immigration restrictions may not help much as this shortage is reflected across Europe, unless we get a continuing significant sustained increase in pay and better working conditions which may lure drivers here.

It's petrol now, it' s still supermarket shelves and the chances are that as demand grows towards Christmas we'll see more shortages. Trainee HGV drivers now are unlikely to be on the road before the new year, so unless we get a big influx of drivers when they change the rules or more drivers are lured back ti the industry by improved conditions this is an ongoing problem. The only solution currently is adapting our behaviour to deal with it sensibly.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

In rural areas where you absolutely need a car this is what you get and people have no choice to buy it as it can be 20 miles to the nearest petrol station which could have run out .
This is a genuine picture online in our local paper today.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Some people in this country really have lost the plot! Words escape me…..
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Managed to find somewhere and just filled with what I require for Monday. Went to Morrison's in the end, which was great although held up hugely by people filling jerrycans and dripping petrol everywhere so the staff kept having to sweep up!

Edited at 04:00 PM.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
Managed to find somewhere and just filled with what I required for Monday. Went to Morrison's in the end, which was great although held up hugely by people filling jerrycans and drilling petrol everywhere so the staff kept having to sweep up!
The Jerry Can brigade are out in force everywhere it seems. The mind boggles what goes through their minds.
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
The Jerry Can brigade are out in force everywhere it seems. The mind boggles what goes through their minds.
It's bizarre. I've never used one but they look so small I can't see the point unless you have literally broken down with a lack of petrol!?
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
It's bizarre. I've never used one but they look so small I can't see the point unless you have literally broken down with a lack of petrol!?
Lawnmower , hedge cutters etc. Even some power washers use petrol.

Builders for cement mixers
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List