Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Jan 22, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
arty688
Helping Mickey

TUI included car hire

Hello,

Just looking at book late Aug 22 for 14 nights and have been driving myself crazy on Skyscanner. Thought I would look at packages and TUI flights seem ok price wise given they are direct and from my local airport , but only if you have them as part of a package. The flydrive includes a standard car with rubbish insurance and for 4 people with 4 cases plus hand luggage is probably a little small. So to upgrade to a standard SUV or Mini van costs about £1k with upgraded insurance. Which I orgially though was very expensive as my past trips to Florida I have had much better cars for much less. However on further inspection car hire prices seem to have sky rocketed .
My questions are
Do people thing they will be coming down anytime soon ?

Also could I not use my hire car say if I found a cheaper deal or if I book a fly drive so I have to have the car ?

What the chances of getting an upgrade when we are there given that its Melbourne so I guess the on site fleets would be more limited. Not to mention the risk of no upgrade available.

Another option is to book the holiday with accommodation stay there 1st night and last night and hire a car in orlando by the accommodation . Has anyone done this ?

Hope it makes sense my brain is a little mangled ATM with all the different scenarios.
arty688 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OK lets break this down in to chunks.

You can book the fly-drive with the unsuitable car and useless insurance and just ignore it and do your own thing. It doesn't have to be collected.

However maybe that price to get the Car size you want and be fully Insured is actually not bad. Only research will tell.

Have you looked at a stand alone car hire that will be exactly what you need and fully Insured? There are a host of 3rd Party Suppliers that we on this Forum use.

Have you checked out for example BA and fly in to Tampa to keep costs down? Quicker than driving from Melbourne.

Have you thought of Indirect? That will be a lot cheaper.

What about going in to and out of Miami? That will be cheaper again.

Finally if you want suggestions on car prices pop back with your dates and I'm sure people will muck in for a stand alone hire.

Happy planning.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

I’m flying TUI into ‘Orlando’ Melbourne in late July.

I’ve hired a full size SUB for 5 folk + 5 suitcases.

14 night car rental is £1500 via AVIS although I’m keeping eyes open in hope that it goes down.
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
arty688
Helping Mickey

Thanks for the response.

The price of the car included isn't bad compare to what's available EG standard SUV is +£1k or £2k from discount florida car hire. Its just a lot more than they cost a couple of years ago (like a lot of things I guess)

BA Tampa more expensive and from Gatwick , I live 25mins from BHX

Still considering indirect but doesn't save that much and again not many options from BHX , although the flight via DUB look ok as immigration can be done a DUB but again more expensive than TUI package. So probably looking at LHR.
Miami is the cheapest option we flew to MIA the last 2 times (2018&2019)we didn't really want to do it again as this time we are restricted to 2 weeks and don't want to spend any time in Miami we are looking at Orlando 1 week and Sarasota 1 week and not really an option to land a MIA and travel on the same day. Plus the added hassle of traveling to/from LHR.

Dates we are looking at are around 20,21,22 August for 2 weeks
arty688 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Innocenti
Helping Minnie

Also flying with Tui into MLB in July, I've booked a Mustang through tuicars.com for 14 nights for 800 Euros ... looked today and its now 1800 Euros.
Be interesting to see what i get on collection.

Edited at 02:55 PM.
Innocenti is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Does that price include all your insurances? If so - it’s pretty damn good!

I initially booked through enterprise and got what I though was a great deal - but on further inspection it didn’t include cdw etc so would have eventually cost much more.
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Innocenti
Helping Minnie

Yes, fully inclusive in all insurances/breakdown etc. I booked it May '21.And its through Avis btw.
Old 19 Jan 22, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Excellent deal - pays to book in advance I guess!
Old 19 Jan 22, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

is it cheaper to uber 2 of you from the airport and keep the car for pootling about. obviously get some extra insurance.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
arty688
Helping Mickey

Having said all that about not wanting to go to Miami I have just booked to go to Miami so won't be using TUI now anyway as its £1.5k cheaper to go to Miami.