Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Sep 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
I think that rather depends on the rental company. Alamo seemed fair at least I recent years. Some of the others still don’t
Alamo and Avis are roughly the same - just read the Dollar scheme carefully.

Mick
Old 9 Sep 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by minniemam View Post
Good scheme, but would be worried you are advertising you are a visitor to everyone.
You only have to display it when you're on the toll roads so it can stay in the glove box for the rest of the time. We're giving it a go next trip.

Mick
Old 9 Sep 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

How does this work with Alamo? I understand that with their scheme you don't have to opt-in, but it charges you automatically for any tolls you drive through.
How do you make sure you aren't charged twice for the same toll - once by each scheme?
johnb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by johnb View Post
How does this work with Alamo? I understand that with their scheme you don't have to opt-in, but it charges you automatically for any tolls you drive through.
How do you make sure you aren't charged twice for the same toll - once by each scheme?
Alamo is exactly like every other Sunpass scheme - operates on a toll by plate system by taking a photo just like Avis, Hertz etc. Nothing to switch on or off, nothing to sign up to (EXCEPT Dollar )

I'm assuming that the VTP simply overrides the camera. I don't think anyone who has used VTP on here has been "double dipped" on their CC by the Sunpass.

All the toll roads are here. Open "Traveller Information" then "Rental Vehicles" to show how they all work

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

Mick
Old 9 Sep 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mattyped
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Isn't it just 3.50 per day you use it then the toll.
mattyped is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Nordboy
Excited about Disney

I used it on the recent visit and have just had the final bill. Used it at a toll booth 13 times, including trips back and fore to the airport, and a trip to Kennedy. Total cost was $13.49.
Easy to sign up to and place back in the bins at the airport.

Not sure exactly how much it has really saved me though.
Nordboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by mattyped View Post
Isn't it just 3.50 per day you use it then the toll.
The admin fees charged by each company are clearly shown in the link I inserted above.

Originally Posted by Nordboy View Post
I used it on the recent visit and have just had the final bill. Used it at a toll booth 13 times, including trips back and fore to the airport, and a trip to Kennedy. Total cost was $13.49.
Easy to sign up to and place back in the bins at the airport.

Not sure exactly how much it has really saved me though.
It certainly saved the admin fee that you would have been charged by whichever hire company you used. Plus you get a small discount on the tolls I believe.

Mick
Old 9 Sep 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Good scheme, but would be worried you are advertising you are a visitor to everyone.
Just like the barcodes on your rental car windscreen and sometimes on side windows.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Just like the barcodes on your rental car windscreen and sometimes on side windows.
I was about to mention the barcodes / QR codes on the rental cars - a complete giveaway you're a visitor.

As an aside - if any Dibbers visit Disneyland (California)... beware of the Marina Del Ray near LAX airport. It's a popular stopping off point for people heading to the airport who are running early / want something to eat etc. Thieves actively target rental cars in the parking lots around this area as they know there is a fair chance there will be luggage in the boot.

Some friends of mine had their rental car broken into in this area and when they went to the police to report it, the attitude was "oh, another one today". Thankfully they only lost what would have been their checked luggage - they took their carry-on bags with them which had the passports and electronics in.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

It’s available to all visitors to Florida. 54 million visitors a year. No one knows we’re your from. Your no more a target than the next person. Remember all hire cars have barcodes all over them. Maybe you could try an American accent.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List