Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Sep 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by neatfrk View Post
Hold on a minute. On the other side of the Atlantic you have to pay fines to take your kids on holiday during school? What kind of nonsense is that?
Here in the UK, if you take your child out of school and this absence has not been previously authorised by the school then it is classed as an unauthorised absence. The school provides information to the local council on the number of unauthorised absences a child has had in that period. The local council can then fine the parents of the child if the amount of unauthorised absences is deemed unacceptable (in some cases, this could be as few as one day of unauthorised absence). I believe the fine is £60 per child per parent although I could be wrong.

It's a way to try and encourage parents to ensure their children attend school as much as possible. Some people tend to respond more readily when money is involved compared to just asking them nicely. Sometimes the rules are applied in a draconian manner.

Note that you can apply to the school to authorise the absence. We've done that in the past - once for a holiday and a few times for DD to take part in national sports events. You do not get fined if the absence is authorised.

BTW, it's also something of an emotive subject here on the DIBB.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 03:30 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Is there a rule for parents with essential jobs. Ie nurse doctor police fire brigade. Etc. Iv heard from someone recently that theses are exempt from fines if they obtain a letter proving they could not take leave during school holidays.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
Is there a rule for parents with essential jobs. Ie nurse doctor police fire brigade. Etc. Iv heard from someone recently that theses are exempt from fines if they obtain a letter proving they could not take leave during school holidays.
I have no idea.

I suspect there isn't a law that states this and instead it is a discretionary "rule". The school can authorise an absence based on whatever criteria it wants. I'd guess in this case some/most schools would authorise the absence because it falls under "exceptional circumstances". But it's up to the school whether it authorises the absence. Equally, it's up to the local authority to determine whether to fine or not if the absence is unauthorised.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Can someone post the link to this video please?
Old 19 Sep 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My husband is a police officer and I work within paediatric wards in a busy hospital, we couldn’t get time off together during the summer holidays other than 4 days where we visited family in Cornwall. We’re takibg the kids out for 5 days in October because we have had a rubbish year with my mother in law suddenly passing away, myself being in hospital with heart problems, my brother in law being hospitalised with a blood clot - which incidentally is what my mother in law died of, and coupled with my husbands job as a PC in London, dealing with multiple murders & stabbing, we could request a letter but I’m not going to. I’ve been open and honest with the schools so far and if they want to fine us so be it, we need this time together more than anything.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Friday'sChild
Imagineer

Friday'sChild's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Can someone post the link to this video please?
I would like to see this too please

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7748_13.gif
Friday'sChild is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Everything just seems doom and gloom on here when talking about a Disney stay these days. We have been going since 2012 and our love and passion for it doesn’t diminish. Last time back in May we had 6 days onsite. Next time we want 14. It can’t be that bad
gjdjud is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m not sure if there is an official exemption but DH works in an essential job where his leave is determined for him by his employer and he has no say on the dates he’s given. His employer is happy to provide a letter stating this and where this has meant taking the kids out (as otherwise we don’t get any holiday time together as family) the school have authorised the absences as exceptional. We’ve only needed to do this twice; DH always tries and swap his leave with his colleagues so that he gets at least one school holiday period off but this is getting harder and harder now that most of his colleagues also have school aged kids.

In my LA, as long as the absence doesn’t exceed 10 sessions/5 days and provided the child’s attendance isn’t below the schools threshold, they don’t refer to the local authority for a fine.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Everything just seems doom and gloom on here when talking about a Disney stay these days. We have been going since 2012 and our love and passion for it doesn’t diminish. Last time back in May we had 6 days onsite. Next time we want 14. It can’t be that bad
I don’t think it is so much doom and doom.

I consider Disney a bit of a Marmite thing in that it can polarise opinion at either end of the scale. I personally do not like Marmite. Others do.

It is an unescapable fact that the Disney business model has changed dramatically over the 14 years that I have been visiting Orlando and an unescapable fact that they are finding new ways to extract the maximum out of the pockets of their visitors.

Most people have a budget and most are not sufficiently blinkered in their love of a Mouse that they do not weigh up the product against that offered by others (whether in the Theme park type business or otherwise). The big question is where the tipping point occurs where people turn their back and go elsewhere, both in expense and general satisfaction with the product. This I find fascinating as the opinions on the thread are so varied.

Some would still go if the price was tripled because they absolutely love it.

Some have already walked away from Disney either because of price, growing children or dissatisfaction with what is perceived as increased gouging..

Some seem to look forward to increases that will place the price beyond the means of some, reduce the number in the parks and make their own personal experience more pleasurable.

Some can afford to go regardless and do not worry about mere money.

Some are abandoning Orlando completely and looking at wider Florida, wider USA or even wider World. For any one.. or several reasons.

I can only speak for myself. I abandoned Disney years ago, but not Orlando. My reasons? Kids increasingly found it boring and in addition, I felt that the Mouse was picking my pocket from the moment I got out the car. We have generally still visited as part of a wider Florida or even USA vacation.
This summer was probably our last. We got no buzz out of Universal, Islands, Aquatica, Busch or Volcano Bay. It was ok. The kids preferred Rainbow River, Lazy H Ranch, Buffalo Tigers airboats and Delnor Wiggins State Park 1-4 with Discovery Cove coming in a distant 5th.
For us, the love affair with Orlando would seem over with a non theme park West Coast next year and probably Vietnam the year after that.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:03 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

It is an unescapable fact that the Disney business model has changed dramatically over the 14 years that I have been visiting Orlando and an unescapable fact that they are finding new ways to extract the maximum out of the pockets of their visitors.
Yes. This. Well said.

I think there are a lot of us on here who do not intend to generate doom, we have just visited so often over the years; and for us the radical changes are all too apparent. what used to tug at our nostalgic heartstrings is being eroded by the obvious decrease in value...and we are sharing our common dismay and disappointment.

Rewind the calendar a few years and I was a huge advocate for WDW. I was the office Disney geek helping everyone plan and optimize their trips and schedules. Today, I advise them to stay away (and most listen...so my hunch is that they are hearing or reading negative comments elsewhere too).
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List