Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Sep 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
RonaldMcMouse
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

New roads not yet on sat navs!

Just a quick comment that may help if you are going to Disney in. Immediate future.
We used the Magical Express to and from MCO to Disney’s Art of Animation but rented a car in between. We got a new 2020 model with working Sat Nav but there have been a number of new roads opened and some layout changes that were not picked up by the sat nav and it got me thinking - we know our way around and managed to figure out the changes but for anyone not familiar with Disney it could be quite confusing!
If you take your own Sat Nav (as I know many people do) make sure you update it before you go - even then it may not pick up the very latest road changes to be prepared to keep your wits about you! The route you may remember from last year may not be the same this year - particularly around Disney Springs and Hollywood Studios.
For the first few days we followed the Sat Nav coming from AOA to Hollywood Studios and finally we turned left out of AOA instead and found ourselves in the car park inside two minutes instead of it taking 15 mins following the Sat Nav!
The road signs have not been updated yet either - making for a few quite heated conversations in the car - LOL!
When we finally figured out all of the changes our in car map showed us in the middle of a field - yet we were actually on the correct (new) roads.
Just a heads up...
Milly

Edited at 05:47 PM.
RonaldMcMouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Use Waze it's updated by the user community.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bads
Trying for More Ears

Use google maps I have found this to be up to date, as well as traffic updates if you have data available on your phone
Bads is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Watch out for the roads around HS which have been coned off for staff. Google maps was sending us into them. Look for the portable signs and don’t do what we kept doing. It adds another 10 minutes getting out of the staff area.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MadHatter1
VIP Dibber

MadHatter1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yes we had this problem when we arrived the satnav in the hire car kept sending us into a parking lot for cast members only, not just us everyone including a bus was going through it because the road signs were also wrong.

Wasn't funny at the end of a 24hour journey!

Luckily I knew the rough layout so followed signs to Disney Springs so I could then follow the satnav to POFQ from the another direction, but if I hadn't had a rough idea in my head of where everything is I would have had to stop for directions.
2017 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - The Return of Three Jedi
2018 Rosen Inn at Pointe (Int. Dr.), HRH (Uni)>. > - Rogue One
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - 12 Parsecs
MadHatter1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

In built sat nav's don't get updated as frequently as they could be, if you want something upto date then use Waze/Google maps, both use the same source (google) for map updates.
Old 19 Sep 19, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
In built sat nav's don't get updated as frequently as they could be, if you want something upto date then use Waze/Google maps, both use the same source (google) for map updates.
I have just had a look and Google maps is correct for the changes to the Hollywood Studios entrances. However it can't keep up to date with all the changes to the lanes in I4 between Universal and Downtown Orlando. It won't effect too many people but does prove you always need to keep an eye on the signs as well.
Old 20 Sep 19, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
It goes to show that ANY satnav should be treated as a guide, and that drivers should read and follow the roadsigns first and the satnav second.

Not like this guy
mirror/news/uk-new...river-18949652

Edited at 06:43 AM.
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
Not strictly true - YES Google now own Waze , however the Waze maps are updated by its editors in its user community. (I have carried out edits to place new roads in Waze).

Google say that there is no cross pollination between the 2 applications, however Google Maps seems to be updating with new roads a lot quicker but yet Google still doesn't have the facility for users to directly update the map set.

Call me a cynic, but new roads I have added to the Waze map set have appeared on Google Maps a short time later. I would bet that the information provided to Waze about new roads, closed roads etc is used by Google Maps to effect changes in their map set and not the other way around.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Never felt the need to use Sat Nav when at WDW as the roads are well signed and easy to follow.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List