Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 17 May 07, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post

all it would have taken is for the cast member to be politer and to have mentioned the pass from the town hall place, they could do that to anyone faking it too.
i have written a letter to virgin already shown on the chat forum detailing the worst of the trip, this complaint was fairly minor i just wanted others in similar predicaments as me to see it - it seems your not actualy disabled unless your in a wheelchair.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 07, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue F
Imagineer

Sue F's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by buddicle View Post
It seems the rules have changed regarding the UK badges. http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...sabled+ba dge
OMG I totally missed this! Sorry for preaching the wrong info. Better get DM down to the nearest office as soon as we arrive on our next trip. What a bummer!
Old 17 May 07, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post

I don't understand why you didn't get the help at the airport we always prearange help a couple of months in advance.
getting GAC's has thankfully become more difficult in that you have to have proof of disability to get one. A blue card should be enough. As i said I am pleased to do this as I'm sick to death of people abusing the system.
If you need a wheelchair you should use one it's got nothing to do with pride, my boys are never upset to see their dad in a chair, he is disabled without his chair we couldn't get around.
Still there are some hopeless cast members out there who don't understand peoples needs. Sorry you had to meet them.
Old 19 May 07, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
keith&carol
Imagineer

keith&carol's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I wouldn't try to justify a CM being rude to anyone but if you have a hidden disability you really should get a GAC for the parks.
We were talking to a CM at Fantasmic while we were waiting for another to find 2 wheelchair spaces for us and he said you wouldn't believe the number of people who develop limps etc and come out with an amazing array of disabilities just because they have left it a bit late to get a good seat or don't want to queue for a ride.
I hate using my wheelchair (what I really hate is my disability) but I don't have a problem with my children seeing me use it. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
What really gets my back up are people using ECV's who take up wheelchair spaces when they could very obviously transfer to a seat. DD4 is quadriplegic and can't transfer but I can and do whenever possible to leave space for someone else. Seaworld is particularly bad for this as their CM's do not control seating and lots of people with ecv's turn them sideways to take up 2 places.
Carol
keith&carol is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 07, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Virgin, or your travel agent should have organised assistance at the air[port or with boarding if you needed it, but this does have to be requested in advance.

There is loads of info on the Disney GAC on the special needs forum. It sounds like this would really have helped you, what a shame you weren't aware of it before your trip. There was no excuse for CMs being rude and they ought to have directed you to get a GAC.

The US ADA legislation does not allow CMs to question any guest about or ask for proof of a disability or medical condition, this is partly why the GAC was introduced. It is centered on your needs rather than your disability and is available for a huge range of special needs not just for wheelchair users. As most ride queue areas are now accessible for wheelchairs, they can wait in line like everyone else and no ramps are needed. Wheelchair users get no special treatment other than the essential access they need for the wheelchair, if you didn't use a wheelchair, I am unsure what 'special needs treatment' you were hoping to get

Maybe using a wheelchair would have made things easier for you, many people do not realise the stamina issues which can arise in a day at the parks. I'm sure your children would not have had a problem with you using one if it was necessary.

Your blue badge would not have been any use to you if you weren't driving, but for the record it is no longer accepted in Florida for parking, a temporary disabled parking tag must be obtained in person from the tax collector's office. You will however need to show it at the office as proof of your right to a permit.
Old 22 May 07, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Catherine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DISNEYBRIDE View Post
- it seems your not actualy disabled unless your in a wheelchair.

Cant agree with you more, we have noticed this massively at WDW. Our son is Registered blind and is a cane user, with his cane its more obvious he has a disability so things are not such a problem now, however before he was trained with his cane it was very difficult as his visual impairment was not so apparant and we got Questioned all the time about our GAP. I do however see the other side, as some ignorant people try and fiddle the system so they must be very cautious.

We had a major problem quite a few years ago in Epcot that caused lots of upset, its quite a long story but Disney gave us 6 Park Hopper Tickets (7 day) passes free and cuddly toys for the bad judgement by one of their staff.

Catherine
Catherine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 07, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

We're in trouble then as DS is awaiting autism diagnosis so therefore looks perfectly ok definitely not in a wheelchair. Virgin have told me to ring back when we have it but if its not through for our holiday we won't be able to get a GAC. I don't think we would use it much anyway but its just a back up in case he has a bad day, which we are getting more of but you just never know. We've never been before so I don't know how he will react.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 07, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread