Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
"Wish" charities

I don't know quite where to post this but thought people on this thread may have the best knowledge.

DD is nearly 19 and a student. We have been to WDW many times and she has always been impressed by the various charities that help families to have a magical holiday in Orlando with their ill or disabled children.

She has decided that she would like to volunteer to assist in one of these trips and has found a company who say that they are looking for people to assist families in the practicalities of travel and finding their way around the parks. It says that the nursing and care positions are filled elsewhere and they are looking for general helpers. She knows that she will have to raise a sizeable amount to cover her costs. I know that she would be brilliant at this, she is a very caring and patient person who always seems to be able to talk to anyone and is brilliant with children as well as being a complete Disney nut and knows many Disney Secrets etc.

What I am trying to find out is if there is any way that I can find out if the company is legitimate. Are there any lists or forums that I could have a look at to find out more about them?
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 13, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Is it a company, or the charity themselves? Most charities usually recruit themselves, the only answer is to google them. Sorry can't be much more help.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 13, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post

There are couple of charities that do this. I would google to see if they exist. Are they covering her costs ?
Old 13 Mar 13, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
It is a charity who are recruiting but it isn't one I have heard of.

They are covering a large percentage of her costs but ask for her to raise a certain sum in the name of the charity.

I have googled them and they do seem to be ok but I know flash websites can hide a multitude of sins and just wondered if there was a better source.
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 13, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post

If you can name the charity maybe someone here will have direct experience of them. I'd want to check their charity status from the registration number on the website and maybe meet trustees and other volunteers before becoming too involved. Do they have orientation or training events she can attend to find out more?
Old 13 Mar 13, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I wasn't sure if I could name them on here so I will be Moderators please eel free to remove the post if necessary.

It is Caudwell Children- destination dreams programme.

There is a days selection procedure and there is a residential training weekend as well so it all seems quite organised. maybe I am just being an overprotective Mum, I just don't want her good intentions taken advantage of.
Old 14 Mar 13, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Have a look at this thread from CarolynU who is volunteering with Give Kids The World.

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=670322
Old 14 Mar 13, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post

I have heard of them and looks like they stay at give kids the world. Should your dd go ahead and help, I'm sure she will have a magical time seeing the wonderful smiles on these children
Old 17 Mar 13, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
top4
Imagineer

Hiya ,Caudwell childrens charity is very popular in our area (stoke on trent ),they do lots of respite and offer courses for carers and disabled children ,a close friend went with the cauldwell charity to Florida just before christmas as her daughter has cystic fibrosis and they had an amazing time fully supported by a medical team .
They frequently hold charity Ball's and events to raise funds for this peticular charity ,i think the founder is named John Cauldwell ,a local buisness man who set up this charity to support and help disabled children ,hes a very popular man and frequently appears in our local newspaper about his fundraising he does ,hope this helps a little xxx
top4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 13, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread