Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 17 Mar 14, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Brave5
Apprentice Imagineer

? for Manual Wheelchair users

A question for anyone who uses a manual wheelchair.

My DS14 is a disabled athlete and is ambulatory. however, we would like to take his wheelchair for two reasons 1. to use in parks (don't think he will be able to walk all day) 2. so he can play basketball with his brothers during down time (all three boys play basketball/wheelchair basketball)

What I want to know is if we use his chair at the airport will it be treated like a child's buggy, I don't want to count it as a piece of luggage or pay extra to bring it over. Not to bothered with the way over but will need all our luggage allowance on the way back

I also would like to know if I will have to take the wheels off as his basketball chair doesn't fold (not a problem, they just pop off). Could you also tell me what happens at security with the chair.
Brave5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 14, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Brave5 View Post
A question for anyone who uses a manual wheelchair.

My DS14 is a disabled athlete and is ambulatory. however, we would like to take his wheelchair for two reasons 1. to use in parks (don't think he will be able to walk all day) 2. so he can play basketball with his brothers during down time (all three boys play basketball/wheelchair basketball)

What I want to know is if we use his chair at the airport will it be treated like a child's buggy, I don't want to count it as a piece of luggage or pay extra to bring it over. Not to bothered with the way over but will need all our luggage allowance on the way back

I also would like to know if I will have to take the wheels off as his basketball chair doesn't fold (not a problem, they just pop off). Could you also tell me what happens at security with the chair.
Your son can take the wheelchair straight to the plane door. With my wifes chair they label it up at check in ( tell them you need it for boarding) and then we take the cushion on the plane and they take the chair...it is then waiting for us by the plane door in Orlando. We do have to wait until everyone else is off the plane but are then taken to a special line for immigration so don't wait too long. You do board first as well. I guess you will have to take the wheels on board the plane.
call the airlines Special Assistance to let them know as well...
Hope this helps

Edited at 01:39 PM.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 14, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Brave5
Apprentice Imagineer

I guess you will have to take the wheels on board the plane.
I was slightly worried about this - I will call and find out about it though.

We do have to wait until everyone else is off the plane but are then taken to a special line for immigration so don't wait too long.
We usually wait until the end anyway but don't linger any longer than necessary
Brave5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 14, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post

I would tell them the chair does not come apart or fold up. My dd's does not and we have never had a problem. Ask to keep his chair to the gate and brought to the gate on landing
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 14, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Our DS's wheelchair does not fold. I label it clearly with instructions to this effect and we have it with us right up to the aircraft. No airline will charge you or count mobility equipment in luggage allowance so you have no worries there.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 14, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
kc1
Imagineer

Phone the airline you are travelling with we have found they now like to know the dimensions of the chair and whether they fold or not. Che ck they will accept a basketball wheelchair as a " normal" chair . Prob b fine but better to b safe than sorry we always take seat cushion onto plane with us not sure about taking wheels off would of thought frame cud get bashed about easier! Just a thought! Let us know how you get on
kc1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 14, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread