Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Jan 20, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
thebig40
slightly serious Dibber

Cornwall in May

Hello,

I'm in the process of planning a holiday to Cornwall for 5 nights in May half term. There will be 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 children aged 13 and 12.

Do you have any recommendations of things to see/do? We have never been to Cornwall before. We are staying in Newquay.

So far I have Eden Project, Padstow for lunch at Rick Steins fish and chip shop and the Camel Trail.

Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thebig40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jovimum
Helping Minnie

Mobile

St Ives, St Michaels Mount, beaches, take the open top bus from st ives to lands end and back, Minack Theatre... the list goes on!
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jovimum View Post
St Ives, St Michaels Mount, beaches, take the open top bus from st ives to lands end and back, Minack Theatre... the list goes on!
Port Isaac., Doc Martin country. very pretty harbour

Mawgan Porth beach , surfing beach and beautiful

Clovelly. a long walk down but worth it.
Old 18 Jan 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

We've been to Mawgan Porth near Newquay. We had a fantastic holiday there. Lots to do and see. We never made it to Port Issac but that's another place I'd like to go. Fistral beach is stunning and a good surf school there but the kids have a long way to carry the boards if the tides out. Mine went surfing at Mawgan Porth and had a fantastic experience with king surf. Padstow is lovely for a look around does get very busy but May should be ok. I wasn't a fan of the Eden Project if I'm honest and I know that goes against the grain. Dont go if the weather isn't great because so do all the rest of Cornwalls tourists. Maybe that's why I wasn't keen it was packed. If your into a laid back vibe book a table at Scott & Babs at Rettorick Mill. Quirky place with great food. They have guitars dotted about to play an eclectic mix of furniture and boxes of hats for hilarious photo memories. I loved it there very different to anywhere I've been. We had a lovely lunch at the Headland Hotel Newquay stunning views.
Old 18 Jan 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
MarionG
Imagineer

If the weather is rubbish have a wander around Trago Mills near Liskeard. It is a discount shop that sells all sorts of things from furniture, garden stuff, clothing etc (have a google). Cafe isn't bad and not expensive.
MarionG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

These are places in Cornwall depends how far want to drive from Newquay

monkeysanctuary/

flambards/

sealsanctuary.sealifetrust/en/

stmichaelsmount/

newquayzoo.uk/

visitnewquay/

cameltrailcyclehire/

newquay-football-golf/
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post

If you decide to do St Ives I recommend parking at St Erth park and ride and getting the train into St Ives. Its a coastal branch line with amazing views over the sea, its a really nice way to start and end the trip to the town.

Trebah Gardens are lovely and worth looking into if you like that kind of thing. It has its own beach so you can take a picnic to eat if you like.

Edited at 06:34 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

All of the above! May/June is absolutely my favourite time in Cornwall - the hedgerows are just full of life. The Minack Theatre is worth a visit - it is set on the side of a cliff overlooking the sea so pretty special. They often have child friendly performances and you can take a picnic and make an evening of it
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Football golf at St Austell is great
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
Originally Posted by deeley View Post
Football golf at St Austell is great
I live literally 2 minutes away from this and still not done it. Maybe this summer

To be honest anywhere on the coast is worth a visit.

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List