Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 11 Feb 16, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post

6yr old with mild CP

Hi

So as the title says my 6 yr old has mild Cerebral Palsy which affects his right side. He can walk but tires easily. I understand we can get him a DAS card while we are visiting but he refuses a pushchair or wheelchair at home. However he has never had to walk the distances he will need to walk whilst at Disney. Are there places on site we can pick up a buggy or wheelchair big enough for a 6 yr old? Are they only available at the Guest Services at the entrance? Or are they available throughout the site?

Or would we be better buying a cheap buggy from Walmart or hiring one externally.

How much would we expect to pay for such hire?

[This is my first post - we visit Disney in April 2016]
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 16, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post

You can rent them in the parks but I wonder if you might be better with something you could use to help your little one from the parks to the car/your accommodation as those distances can be the bit where they really notice how tired they are.

If you think a refusal of a pushchair might occur the park rentals don't really look like pushchairs and you will see lots of bigger children riding in them. When we went the first couple of visits all three of ours wanted to ride at some point of another (2, 4 and 5, then 4, 5 and 6 years on each trip). We saw much older children riding in them too and I'll admit I even tried to squeeze in once just from somewhere to sit down!
Old 15 Feb 16, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DizzyDisneyMum
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Sorry, no advice, but just wanted to say hello as my dd (10) also has right sided Hemi.
DizzyDisneyMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 16, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bear-family
Imagineer

Mobile

You can rent in the park. I don't think getting a cheap pushchair from Walmart will be up to the job for a 6 year old. My ds is 7 and has CP spastic diplegia. He can walk short distances so does use a wheel chair but even a young child without difficulties would find walking around the parks all day exhausting so I would fully recommend getting something. 😀
Bear-family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 16, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post
orlando10
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi
My daughter is also right sided hemi, on previous trips we just purchased a pushchair from Walmart and used that as she was still small enough to sit in it although she wanted to walk everywhere but it was so handy for wee rests and to put the backpack on, she is 6 now and we will also need something for our next visit a friend has offered us her mcclaren major, but just checking all options as I dont think the ones in the park look that comfortable and given the hire costs it might be cheaper to hire a suitable wheelchair or pushchair.
DLP 2016, 2018
orlando10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 16, 01:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Kingdom Stroller rental hire do special need strollers and child wheel chair rentals if that's any use
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 16, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post

my daughter has left side mono (she was 5 turning 6 last trip, this one 7 turning 8)

last time we hired a buggy in Disney (personally I think she just didn't want to walk, nothing to do with CP! ) end up costing a fortune but saved all the moaning

she will not be having a buggy this year, personally I don't think the ones in Walmart would be upto seating much more than a 4 year old
Old 23 Feb 16, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread