Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 8 Oct 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Alaska - which cruise line should I choose?

We're planning to do a Rockies/Vancouver/Alaska trip in 2021. I'm just gathering some info at the moment as flights and some cruises aren't yet available to book. Does anyone have any recommendations for who we should choose to cruise with? Any to avoid? We've recently taken our first cruise with P&O so don't have much to compare to. Any tips gladly accepted!
kateb78 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I would choose Princess, or Celebrity, both do Alaska, I have heard lots of good things about Princess cruises having the expertise for Alaska, dedicated trains, lodges etc, so a good bet, if not, my favourite cruise ships are Celebrity Solstice class.
If you can get a balcony do so, for the views and wildlife watching etc. Inside passage is recommended and Denali park if time pre or post cruise. This is on my bucket list so if you book please come back and let me know!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
I’ve just come back from a Princess cruise - I can definitely recommend and if you get the chance to choose an itinerary including Glacier Bay - it was absolutely breathtaking 😊

Taken from my balcony

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We’ve sailed Princess many times and like them. When we cruised Alaska, we chose Holland America because they did a true 14 day itinerary which got to some of the more out of the way places such as Kodiak, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Homer, Anchorage as well as the more usual ports of Juneau, Ketchikan etc. It was a wonderful itinerary.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
I would choose Princess, or Celebrity, both do Alaska, I have heard lots of good things about Princess cruises having the expertise for Alaska, dedicated trains, lodges etc, so a good bet, if not, my favourite cruise ships are Celebrity Solstice class.
If you can get a balcony do so, for the views and wildlife watching etc. Inside passage is recommended and Denali park if time pre or post cruise. This is on my bucket list so if you book please come back and let me know!
Yes I’d read about Princess having their own land elements of the trip so will find out a bit more. We’re definitely hoping to have a balcony - you can’t beat an early morning cuppa watching the world go by I’ll definitely keep you posted on our progress!
kateb78 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
I’ve just come back from a Princess cruise - I can definitely recommend and if you get the chance to choose an itinerary including Glacier Bay - it was absolutely breathtaking 😊

Taken from my balcony
Wow! This is why we’re booking! Beautiful. Glad to hear you’re a regular with Princess.
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
We’ve sailed Princess many times and like them. When we cruised Alaska, we chose Holland America because they did a true 14 day itinerary which got to some of the more out of the way places such as Kodiak, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Homer, Anchorage as well as the more usual ports of Juneau, Ketchikan etc. It was a wonderful itinerary.
Every itinerary I’ve seen sounds amazing! Well probably be limited to 2 weeks for the trip (because of work) so wouldn’t want to take a 14 night itinerary at this stage. Definitely one I can see us returning to in the future though What did you think of Holland America compared to Princess?
Old 8 Oct 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
Every itinerary I’ve seen sounds amazing! Well probably be limited to 2 weeks for the trip (because of work) so wouldn’t want to take a 14 night itinerary at this stage. Definitely one I can see us returning to in the future though What did you think of Holland America compared to Princess?
For us, Princess has the edge but both are recommended. Both are good for food and service but Princess has better entertainment.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post

Taken from my balcony
Wow! That is just stunning. I need to go!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Wow! That is just stunning. I need to go!
It was absolutely amazing - I’ve just started to write the trippie, so lots more photos to come if you are interested

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List