Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Nov 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Stew_the_red
slightly serious Dibber

The good and bad of the NHS...

So a mad couple of days at the reds, Monday morning and our god daughters younger sister was taken in to Alder Hay Childrens hospital to have open heart surgery to repair a hole in the heart, the mrs and i know first hand how good a hospital it is with our own daughter being under their care for 2 years for a far less life threatening condition, but the care this special young lady has had since monday is beyond exceptional however fast forward 36 and our eldest was taken into one of the wigan hospitals near where she works with breathing problems to be sent off with a bag full of tables and told to crack on without any

we are lucky to have such a good health service but the difference in care from one trust to another is worrying at times

lets hope the next government dont sell off anymore of the family silver
Stew_the_red is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Its worrying isnt it.
I wont visit certain hospitals because it of it!
Hope your eldest is okay now

DVC member since Sept '18
Youtube - Kymmieakiss
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
leenkerri
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stew_the_red View Post
So a mad couple of days at the reds, Monday morning and our god daughters younger sister was taken in to Alder Hay Childrens hospital to have open heart surgery to repair a hole in the heart, the mrs and i know first hand how good a hospital it is with our own daughter being under their care for 2 years for a far less life threatening condition, but the care this special young lady has had since monday is beyond exceptional however fast forward 36 and our eldest was taken into one of the wigan hospitals near where she works with breathing problems to be sent off with a bag full of tables and told to crack on without any

we are lucky to have such a good health service but the difference in care from one trust to another is worrying at times

lets hope the next government dont sell off anymore of the family silver
I know what you mean. I have 2 main hospitals each about 20 miles away. One is amazing and so helpful, Kerri got sent to other one last Thursday for several scans and still waiting for results.
Still don’t like to knock NHS as I wouldn’t want to be a doctor or a nurse. So much respect for them.

Edited at 05:36 PM.
leenkerri is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

How old is your oldestt? Are the tablets working if not I’d go straight back or to GP, shortness of breath is scary
Old 6 Nov 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Unusual to have a bad experience at wigan. My daughter has been far too much time there over the last 10 years. Just a couple of weeks ago we was there as she had high ketones due to a infected wound, they could not do enough, had her on her two drips within 15 mins. Outstanding service. I embarrassingly fainted when they was cleaning out the wound so the nurses had to deal with me too.
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
allycat228
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Something needs to happen as the Nhs as it is isn’t working well
allycat228 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Unusual to have a bad experience at wigan. My daughter has been far too much time there over the last 10 years. Just a couple of weeks ago we was there as she had high ketones due to a infected wound, they could not do enough, had her on her two drips within 15 mins. Outstanding service. I embarrassingly fainted when they was cleaning out the wound so the nurses had to deal with me too.
I agree. I have had amazing treatment there. I was sent there via a locum doctor who wanted them to check me out. Within 5 minutes of a nurse seeing me on arrival I was on a trolley in resus and received the most fantastic care and compassion. I owe them my life.

Edited at 10:41 PM.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mallky555
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I work in the NHS and would say most of the time it depends on how serious your complaint is to how long you wait however unfortunately staffing issues also have an effect on patient care 😢 I work in mental health and I can’t remember the last time I was in a shift that was fully staffed🤦🏻 And even if our unit is fully staffed if the other units are down 2/3 staff then we all have to lose a staff member to support!
It’s the same with the physical health wards however you can get cardiac nurses sent to wards with other specialities which means they don’t know everything that needs doing so that slows things down unfortunately.
Mallky555 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

I have worked in the NHS for 29 years and have seen and worked with the good, the bad and the ugly in varying hospitals. 😂. It can all depend on so many things. Funding, staff availability, training, local priorities, day of the week, time of year, existing senior management and leadership etc etc. It shouldn't but it does.
The population is growing, we are all living longer with more serious and complex or multiple complex conditions. The NHS is amazing at saving lives but ongoing long term care needed by the majority of us is pushing capacity to the limit. The crisis in social care has also not helped with things like getting people discharged or reducing AandE attendances. The issues are multi factual and multi agency so can take ages to improve. I always say you can't turn this oil tanker round on a dime. The NHS is so big it takes ages to stop practice that isn't up to scratch and move forward. That is very frustrating on a personal and professional level.
It will be interesting to see what the next government say and do about the NHS.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by allycat228 View Post
Something needs to happen as the Nhs as it is isn’t working well
Yes, but what needs to happen is ...
1. People not rocking up at A&E because they can't get an appt at their own GP surgery
2. People realising that the NHS is not a care home for their elderly mum/dad/aunt/nan.
3. People calling 999 because they can't remember the non emergency number.
4. People actually using the services outside of the hospital that can help, ie, pharmacy, health care assistants, ANPs, PAs, 101, NHS website and many more.
5. Government bringing back the bursary for those in medical Uni (and keep them in the NHS for 10 years after they've qualified)
6. People become grateful for those on the front end of all the plop and rubbish thrown at them every day by patients/families.

My twopennethworth!

Joa