Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 10 Jul 07, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post

! **** Health and Safety ! *******

Hello,
I have just got back from my DS school, after being 'kept back for a quick word' with his form teacher.
They are holding Sports Day next week and have now decided that it is against their 'Health and Safety Rules' for his carer to push his wheelchair in the races.!
Since he started school six years ago, they have always pushed him in the races as he finds it too difficult to push on grass.
His teacher then asked me if 'it was ok for him not to participate' at all
I am really upset about this, as I feel its discrimination.
He has two carers at school who have apparently now got 'bad backs'.
Recently they have been complaining about everything, from his brakes on his chair being 'too stiff' and the fact that he is too 'floppy' for them to handle? (He has cerebral palsy and his muscle tone can fluctuate)

What do I do?
Am I wrong to think that they are being totally unreasonble ? I am dreading telling him when he comes home from school today that he cant take part in the races as he is really looking forward to it.

Sally
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 07, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I don't know the rules, but that sounds totally wrong to me.

in the short term, can you or your DH participate in the race with him?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 07, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

I'd also suggest you push his wheelchair for him.
If they aren't going to let him participate in the races, they should at least think up some games he can participate in - at the boys school they have a ' catch the bean bag relay' each team stands (still) in a line with spaces between them ( appropriate to age ) and on 'GO' a beanbag is thrown down the line and back up again - on the way back up they sit down as soon as they've thrown - first team sitting wins.
Or the 'dress up' relay, the dresser has a selection of hats/ scarves/ bags etc and on GO must take one item at a time to dress their team mate ( who is sitting ) about 30 ft away first team fully dressed wins.
the boys' school use the above games as a way of involving the whole school - reception kids with yr6 kids, so I should think they'd work well for your DS.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 07, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahc
VIP Dibber

sarahc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
So much for equal opportunities! The school obviously needs to re-think some of their events! It is not really acceptable for your son to be unable to participate in any way, and if this is the case you should ask to speak to the PE co-ordinator or the Head to see if you could work something out.
Old 10 Jul 07, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post

That is so sad, surely someone will push him, I would if I was closer, bless him. xx
Old 10 Jul 07, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Have they carried out a risk assessment? If they have ask to see it. Also get in touch with the Disibility Rights Commission for advice. t may be that they have done a risk assessment and that has come back that they cannot push him in the race if that's the case then you may have to push him yourself but I think it is totally out of order for the headteacher to say he cannot participate without looking at all the options first.

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 07, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
reading on here over the past few weeks about how pupils are being treated by their scholls i am absolutetly disgusted, the scholl should be handed an official complaint as they cant legally exclude him from any activity, surely they have a legal obligation to provide your son with able carers. i'd say go and push him yourself but by no means forget about the treatment you have received. fight, fight, fight
Old 10 Jul 07, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you all for your advice, I have calmed down a bit now, unfortunately my DH cant push him as he is in a wheelchair also, (quadraplegic). I am either going to do it myself, or take it in turns with a friend whose son goes to the same school. They are not getting away with this, and I will take it further.
I will also ask if they have carried out a risk assessment as was suggested, (thank you) and demand to see it.

I'll let you all know if we win any races. ! Ha Ha!

Thank you all and best wishes

Sally
Old 10 Jul 07, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post

oh how disgusting i hope you get it sorted
and good luck in the race hope you win
Old 10 Jul 07, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post

If they do a risk assessment it will come back in their favour, too much risk involved, no offence but they are probably right.
Closed Thread