Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 19 Jun 08, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by caz1712 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions relating to our upcoming holiday to WDW in November and just thought I would ask for some of your thoughts on them. Bit of background is that my eldest who is 9 has ADHD and my middle son who will be 7 is Autistic.

1) We are flying with Virgin and we are unsure of whether or not to contact their special needs dept to see if Bulkhead seats would be possible. We are a party of 6 so thought we could get two rows of 3 one behind the other so we can swap round if necesary, just the boys do tend to get fidgity and would worry incase they kept kicking the seats in front of them?

2) Also have read about priority boarding but not sure if this would be better or to request to be boarded last - in order to spend less time on the plane as possible? But then again being boarded first while its quiet would give DS2 time to adjust to his surroundings ? Anyone been in similar situation?

3) GAC? I'm not overly keen on using this if we did get issued it to be honest as we had something similar at Legoland a few years ago and the looks and tuts we got was unreal and just made me feel very uncomfortable. But our first week is Thanksgiving and got a feeling the queues may be a bit longer than the boys would tolerate to stand in ( stupid me for booking those dates - the whole point of Nov/Dec was for it to be quieter for them!). Do you think using Fastpass itself would be a better option? Bearing in mind we would have to use Child Swap service also? Any opinions would be great.

Another quick question has anyone used these before with Autistic Children that have sensory issues? Found them but didn't know if they would be a bit over the top or not?

amazon/PELTOR-GREEN...3733983&sr=8-1

Thanks for reading and any opinions would be fab!

xxx
Hi, its amazing how many issues we have to address before we go on holiday. Please contact virgin customer care, they are fantastic. We are travelling in 17 days time and they are trying their best to accommodate our needs. My son has ASD/ADHD and sensory issues have a huge impact on him. One issue for my son is certain smells so being in a position by the toilet wouldn't be suitable. We have asked to be on the plane before anyone else so he can have a wonder around without too many people being around. We are also doing a social story about the journey to to airport, the plane and the holiday all incorporating photos. I also asked Virgin to send me a photo of the virgin plane. The more pre-tutoring you do will cause less stress and anxiety for our special children. Customer services advised that we are also entitled to go through premium check in services to avoid queing and also you are allowed to get of the plane first as well so you do not have to wait too long going through customers. I've requested no artifical colourings/preservatives in his food and drinks.

Regarding his sensory issues, ask your doctors whether you have a service available where you live called 'Sensory Intergration Therapy', this therapy is done by paediatric occupational therapist and for a majority of children with ASD/ADHD it helps emensley with their sensory impairments.

Regarding the ear protectors. I must admit is us to use a protector similar, however now I am teaching my son to address the issue himself. It's hard but I am teaching him, if there is a noise which causes them pain, to put their hands on their ears to try and block as much of the noise out. We have to prepare our children for society and to accommodate situations which could happen obviously everyday and at times resources like earphones may not be available.

Sorry to have gone on, but my last comment. Get a GAC ! I am, you and your family deserve to have a wonderful holiday and whatever is there to assist make us of it. Don't forget to take your DLA just incase they ask to see proof.

I once use to feel how you did about people tutting or mumbling behind your back, it is so difficult when you have a children with a 'hidden disability' but now I look and pitty them for their ignorance !

Take care xxxxx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 08, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Just wanted to say that I called Virgin Special Assistance today and the guy couldn't have been any more helpful. He didn't even need explaining to what ADHD and ASD were! He told us that we were to check-in via Premium at the airport and he has requested Bulkhead seats but they are not guaranteed. He also asked about food if there was anything particular for them to eat which I thought was great. As long as my boys get Chicken Nuggets they will be happy and I will have a supply of other bits that I know they will eat with me anyhow.

So all in all very pleased with the service - just need to pray the flight goes smoothly!

Think we are going to get the GAC and see how it goes - it can't hurt can it? I know I need to try and ignore what other people think but its hard (like you all know), especially if they are having a meltdown etc as that just makes you feel ten times worse - inadequate parent and all that!

I think they boys are going to have a great time - and we going to do countdown calendars, social stories and a little journal for Aidan to read up on before we go. Although the amount of times he has watched that Disney Planning DVD he already knows what rides are at what parks so think he may be guiding us!

The thing with Aidan is there are some things that you think are going to send him into meltdown that don't and the things that you would never dream of being a problem can be. Preparation is always great but as you all know - the world of ASD is a very complex thing and we will not be able to plan for every eventuality! So all we can do is plan what we can and hope for the best. As long as my kids tell me that they had a fabulous holiday everything else will be insignificant really!

Thanks all for the advice I really appreciate it

Oh and "Happy Vacation" would it be possible for you to post that picture that Virgin sent you at all? Don't worry if you can't I can see if I can google it.

Thanks alot
xxx
Old 20 Jun 08, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post

As soon as I receive it I let you have a copy, I would also post you a copy of the social story we do for our son, it may give you some ideas. As you said every second, minute is different and what you think might sent them on a 'meltdown' doesn't. They just like to keep us on our toes! Tinaxx
Old 20 Jun 08, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

I know what you mean about expecting the unexpected. The first time we took our son to Florida, we were really worried about the journey (although we are lucky and he does love holidays!). We did a social story for him and prepared him as best we could. We had quite a lot of turbulence, which I thought may set him off but he was as good as gold. We were amazed. The second time we took him, I was a little more confident and although we did try to prepare him, we thought everything would run smoothly. It did but then suddenly, 8 hours in, he had a complete meltdown because he had gone into a different toilet and it did not have the "don't throw rubbish down the toilet" sign which the other toilet did (his current obsession is warning signs and is driving me slowly demented! ). It was not a pretty sight and you can imagine the looks we got from other passengers when they overheard his tantrum over this issue!
Expect the unexpected at all times is one of the first and most difficult lessons anyone dealing with an ASD child should learn, don't you think?
Louise.
Old 20 Jun 08, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Worgie View Post
I know what you mean about expecting the unexpected. The first time we took our son to Florida, we were really worried about the journey (although we are lucky and he does love holidays!). We did a social story for him and prepared him as best we could. We had quite a lot of turbulence, which I thought may set him off but he was as good as gold. We were amazed. The second time we took him, I was a little more confident and although we did try to prepare him, we thought everything would run smoothly. It did but then suddenly, 8 hours in, he had a complete meltdown because he had gone into a different toilet and it did not have the "don't throw rubbish down the toilet" sign which the other toilet did (his current obsession is warning signs and is driving me slowly demented! ). It was not a pretty sight and you can imagine the looks we got from other passengers when they overheard his tantrum over this issue!
Expect the unexpected at all times is one of the first and most difficult lessons anyone dealing with an ASD child should learn, don't you think?
Louise.
This probably sounds awful, but we always go to our doctors and get some Phenergan and a doctors letter explaining why we are taking this medication on the plane. It's just a precaution in all honesty, but it does work !

We have only had to use it once, but the first time we were told about it we tried it at home first just incase.

Phenergan is used for allergic conditions, such as havyfever, rashes or hives, for travel sickness and as a short term sedative.

The doctor works out the dosage suitable for the child.
Old 21 Jun 08, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Happy Vacation View Post
As soon as I receive it I let you have a copy, I would also post you a copy of the social story we do for our son, it may give you some ideas. As you said every second, minute is different and what you think might sent them on a 'meltdown' doesn't. They just like to keep us on our toes! Tinaxx
Thanks ever soo much I would really appreciate that - I have no idea on where to start with a social story either.

It is amazing what we have to think about before hand isn't it. All adds to the fun though!

xxx
Old 21 Jun 08, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh yes this is sooo true. As much as routine is paramount for my boys you just can't plan EVERYTHING!

xxx
Old 21 Jun 08, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
buffalo
Imagineer

As you said every second, minute is different and what you think might sent them on a 'meltdown' doesn't. They just like to keep us on our toes! Tinaxx
I think if I expect the worst, then anything better is a bonus.
March 1995-Indian Wells, Sept 1996 - Westridge, June 1997 Creekside, Nov 1998 - Westridge, Sept 2000 - Westridge, April 2001 - Westridge, Sept 2005- Westridge, Oct 2008-Tuscan Hills, Aug 2009-Legacy Park, July 2010- Legacy Park, July 2011-Calabria, July 2012-High Grove, July 2013-Solana, August 2014-High Grove/Anna Maria , Sept/Oct 2015 OKW/Anna Maria/High Grove
buffalo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 08, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPlanner73
Apprentice Imagineer

I once use to feel how you did about people tutting or mumbling behind your back, it is so difficult when you have a children with a 'hidden disability' but now I look and pitty them for their ignorance !
Can I also say a HUGE thanks for the information and advice given, ds (8) was diagnosed in Nov with Aspergers and you have helped me out with information.

I love the quote above and will use it as a mantra - this is the one thing that really upsets me, just because ds "looks" the norm we are judged as either bad parents or the "whats wrong with him" questions is on their faces.
Old 25 Jun 08, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by caz1712 View Post
Thanks sooo much for all your replies really appreciate you taking the time.

Think we will definately call Virgin Special Assistance and see what they can work out for us. After much thought DH and I think it probably would be best to board first so that the boys (especially Aidan) have plenty of time to get themselves sorted. At least if the Nintendo or PSP is on whilst everyone else is boarding it will distract them hopefully.

Aidan doesn't like to have things "in" his ears and won't wear the inear headphones so we will either get those ear muffs on Amazon or get the over the head style noise reducing headphones I think.

Great to see so many families who have similar needs have done WDW successfully though. Have been a little bit apprehensive about it but as long as we properly prepared we can hopefully avoid any major meltdowns! LOL Famous last words though eh?

Thanks again
xxx
Hi, Also not sure whether you have been told this, when I rang Customer Services at Virgin today - Tel: 0844 5573998 I was concerned once you have got your boarding passes and you go through imagration. These lines at times are awful. If you ring Virgin they can make a note on your booking tickets regarding 'Fast Track Pass' which you can show, and they may be able to allow you to go in the que where first class passengers go - which is obviously a lot shorter.

Good Luck.

Tina
Closed Thread