Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 15 Apr 09, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post

1st draft of statement has arrived! Help!

Help...

My Ds (10yrs) first draft statement has arrived and I have read through it ...
but help me please because i havent got a clue if its adequate or not!
What should I be looking for?
How will I know if enough is in place?
It came on saturday but was dated the 9th and I only have 15 days to object and they dont go back to school til monday which will be day 10 from arrival or day 12 from post date!

I feel really useless right now and desperately dont want to screw this up for my son!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 09, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post

god this is a hard one to answer as every childs statement is different depending on that childs needs

your best bet to get you to look at the fine detail is the IPSEA helpline and i know it's always busy but i would perservere on getting through as they know the stuff and will talk you through each line and any worries you have (it's manned by parents who are well trained and have been through the process themselves)

details are here ipsea.uk/helplines.htm

the main thing with a statement is the support should be quantified and qualified and that is hard to explain on here (i.e the general gist is that the number of hours and the person giving the support is clearly in the statement)

for example things like a programme of support to access PE is just not good enough to be honest it should have the times listed and who or how they are going to do it how often etc

hope this helps a little
Old 15 Apr 09, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh right
well his statement just seems to state that "in addition to his entitlement at school action plus he will recieve 14 hours per week of lsa support or an equivalent alternative level of support eg from a teacher or lunchtime supervisor. which may be provided individually or in a small group according to his requirements".

It stipulates in the provisions bit.. which say things like "additional adult support in practical lessons and those requiring the manipulation of tools to take account of his fine motor difficulties." and " additional adult support to help him to develop his ontask concentration skills" and " will require the mediation of the spoken enviroment to help support his access to the curriculum and the social enviroment"

There seems to be a lot of additonal adult supports put in place (a total of 6 out of 14provisions) and thats not including the group works for social skills etc. but there doesnt seem to be alot of hours given for it (if that makes sense? )
He has been awarded a total of 14 hours but it would seem like he needs more? just by reading their provisions or am i reading it wrong?

So confused now...
Old 15 Apr 09, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mazz View Post
for example things like a programme of support to access PE is just not good enough to be honest it should have the times listed and who or how they are going to do it how often etc

hope this helps a little
There is one like this in mine it says
"Regular work on a specific, structured programmes to develp his literacy and numeracy skills" and "Regular opportunities to work on a programme to be develop his motor skills. The programme should be devised and monitored by an appropriate therapist and implemented in school by those in daily contact with him"
along with the "he will require regular access to alternative recording techniques for example the use of ICT, scribe support, peer recording and diagrammatic recording" but there is nothing to say what regular is!

OmG its a mine field!
Old 15 Apr 09, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
pudge
Imagineer

pudge's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Hi when i did my sons Co-Ordinated Support Plan (as they are called in Scotland) I was always told to write down the very worst day that you have had. My son now attends a Special Needs School and now has all the support he needs, when he attended a base unit attached to a mainstream, I again was lucky as he was always with a teacher or a nursery nurse, or auxiliary and he also had a playground assistant to help him.

Good Luck as it's not easy filling in those forms!
[/B][COLOR="Magenta"]2006 Crescent Lakes/New Port Richey, 2008 Highlands Reserve, 2010 Cumbrian Lakes (freebie) & Rolling Hills, 2012 Highlands Reserve, 2014 Bridgewater Crossing, 2015 Rolling Hills/HRH, 2016 Dibb villa Highlands Reserve/HRH & Vegas, 2017 Rolling Hills, Xmas 2018 Rolling Hills & RPR, 2019 Highlands Reserve, 2020 Highlands Reserve canx 2021 Emerald isle fingers crossed
pudge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 09, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by pudg View Post
Hi when i did my sons Co-Ordinated Support Plan (as they are called in Scotland) I was always told to write down the very worst day that you have had. My son now attends a Special Needs School and now has all the support he needs, when he attended a base unit attached to a mainstream, I again was lucky as he was always with a teacher or a nursery nurse, or auxiliary and he also had a playground assistant to help him.

Good Luck as it's not easy filling in those forms!
Thanks

But all the forms are filled in and they have issued a statement which I have to approve and theres where i come unstuck a bit
Glad to hear your son is getting all the support he needs
Old 15 Apr 09, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

I would query the fact that they don't quantify the amount of help he will get and from whom in each area. If they are going to say that he needs "regular" help in "specific" areas, they need to specify how many hours per day, how many times per week and what the areas are. You also need to know, for your own peace of mind who will provide this help - is it going to be one individual that you can liase with or a team of people - they should be named.

When we were writing Individual Education Plans (not exactly the same thing, I know! ) we were told that all targets should be SMART - specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timed. IMHO I believe these criteria should also be applied to statements or it is very difficult to ascertain what help has REALLY been given !
Old 15 Apr 09, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by chattychick157 View Post
There is one like this in mine it says
"Regular work on a specific, structured programmes to develp his literacy and numeracy skills" and "Regular opportunities to work on a programme to be develop his motor skills. The programme should be devised and monitored by an appropriate therapist and implemented in school by those in daily contact with him"
along with the "he will require regular access to alternative recording techniques for example the use of ICT, scribe support, peer recording and diagrammatic recording" but there is nothing to say what regular is!
OmG its a mine field!
this is what would worry me most

the defination of regular ? could that be once a week, once a month, as and when a member of staff is avail or when the child is so obviously in distress and becoming disruptive ? - regular is not good enough:angry:

they know the lessons he will need help for and how long those lessons last so that's where the hours to be quantified come in and this is really where having Ipsea onboard helps (most ed authorities are a little wary of them as they are so thorough)

structured programmes how and when and where all spring to mind? and how often will they be reviewed to meet his continued needs, any improvements, monitored for new targets set etc?

appropriate therapist, who? and when is he/ she coming into school and when and what times will the designated people be working with your son and feeback given etc etc this all needs, times, places and how often needs asking

regular access to recording techniques? again they know the lesson and when so it should be quantified to a time and the support in minutes, hours, one to one support etc

it is a minefield and you do need more than i can offer and that's why i keep pushing Ipsea as i've been helped by them myself

time wise - don't worry if you need more time, you acknowledge in writing receipt of the proposed statement and state that you will require more time to seek help and further advice as you are not certain it meets your childs needs

good luck marie

Edited at 02:11 PM.
Old 15 Apr 09, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mazz View Post
this is what would worry me most

the defination of regular ? could that be once a week, once a month, as and when a member of staff is avail or when the child is so obviously in distress and becoming disruptive ? - regular is not good enough:angry:

they know the lessons he will need help for and how long those lessons last so that's where the hours to be quantified come in and this is really where having Ipsea onboard helps (most ed authorities are a little wary of them as they are so thorough)

structured programmes how and when and where all spring to mind? and how often will they be reviewed to meet his continued needs, any improvements, monitored for new targets set etc?

appropriate therapist, who? and when is he/ she coming into school and when and what times will the designated people be working with your son and feeback given etc etc this all needs, times, places and how often needs asking

regular access to recording techniques? again they know the lesson and when so it should be quantified to a time and the support in minutes, hours, one to one support etc

it is a minefield and you do need more than i can offer and that's why i keep pushing Ipsea as i've been helped by them myself

time wise - don't worry if you need more time, you acknowledge in writing receipt of the proposed statement and state that you will require more time to seek help and further advice as you are not certain it meets your childs needs

good luck marie
marie am i able to write and state I require more time to seek further help etc will they be happy with that?
Do I just say I do not feel it has been specific enough and am enlisting the help of outside agencies to help ensure the statement meets his requirements?
sorry to keep asking all these questions (i will be ringing Ipsea for help).
and thank you for all the advice given so far

I know NAS told me that speech and language should be pushed to go into ed priovision not in non ed provision because its part of the reason he cant access the curriclum so therefore it is an educational problem,
Old 15 Apr 09, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post

yes sarah

as long as it's all in writing there should be no problems with you asking for more time to seek further advice (ipsea would know the exact time specifics on this though and guide you how to word the letter)

and the NAS are right the SALT should be in the educational part, the school and the salt team should be working together

if your child is in a mainstream school it's most important you get this statement right, my son went through mainstream primary with some great teachers and some pretty rubbish ones and mainly without speech, his statement was rubbish for a long time but the school itself was excellent (apart from the odd teacher who was soon brought into our way of thinking)

i know you are concentrating on the wording but what impression have you got from the school re support as the schools whole attitude in how they support your child can make a big difference so even if the wording is not perfect ask yourself do you trust them and is he happy and ask the teacher and head outright if they feel the hours given (being funded by the LEA) are enough? sometimes it works to your advantage to be open and candid and say you feel it's not specific enough you never know the head may actually agree
Closed Thread