Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 2 Aug 11, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Fireworks
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Have contacted Virgin and they are arranged special assistance through the airports for me.

Go back to the hospital next Monday so hope the cast will come off completely then (fingers crossed) so will wait until then to decide on whether to hire a wheelchair here or there.
Fireworks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 11, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post

broken ankle

Hi i broke my ankle in 2 places a couple of yrs ago and ripped ligaments as well.
I was in a cast for about a week and then a full cast for 6 weeks and then they took cast off and asked me to try and walk but could`nt so much pain as ligaments had not repaired.
We was also going away to weymouth for my 40th birthday with loads of friends so i know its not the same as florida but i did need to get about so i asked hospital if i could have an aircast and what a difference this was i could walk everywhere without crutches with ease and also without pain just looked a bit like robo cop tho but would highly recommend asking for one of these.
You also take it off just like a boot for bed and just put it back on in morning and you get a small hand pump to pump the boot with air if you need more has little valves to do this very easy as well.

Hope this helps

Edited at 07:37 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 11, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
janeg88
Imagineer

janeg88's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I wasn't long out of plaster and using crutches last year. Everything ws made easy for me, seats were made available, even when I didn't need one. The only slight problem was going through security at Manchester as they removed my crutches to scan and gave me walking sticks which were totally the wrong height for me and I ending up hopping (and trying not to break my good leg)
janeg88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 11, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Apprentice Imagineer

1612's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 123
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
Can't believe my bad luck, everything was planned and now I'll have to start from scratch again, that's if I go at all

Assuming that the hospital will take the cast off on the Monday before we are due to fly on the Saturday, and that I am given the OK to fly, I still won't be able to walk properly all the time we are away.

We fly out on 13th August and the parks are going to be very very busy.

Do I cut my losses now and cancel and let the rest of the family go without me, or will the parks be manageable with a wheelchair and what assistance will we get, if any?

Are there special entrances to the rides, or do you just join the normal queue? ALL I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT DISNEY IS IF YOU GO INTO THE TOWNHALL IN MAGIC KINGDOM OR ASK IN YOUR HOTEL RECEPTION THEY WILL TELL YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR PROBLEM AND I AM100% SURE THEY WILL HELP YOU. HAVE FUN

Will we be able to use disabled parking even though we don't normally qualify for a disabled badge.

Anything else I need to be aware of - I am thinking it would be better to try to hire a lightweight wheelchair in the UK and take it with us, rather than have to get to the parks early to hire one each day (if there are any left) and struggle without one when we are not at the parks.
SORRY I WROTE REPLY IN WRONG PLACE

The Clarke Family. Holidaying at Disney every year since 2000!
1612 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 11, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
busybee2
Imagineer

i would hire a wheelchair or ecv, if you do that you do not need a gac and you will just go into the rides using a different entrance etc. you can get a special little boot thing so that you can walk on it when its strong enough etc.
busybee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 11, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Fireworks
Excited about Disney

Well I'm back and had a brilliant time, the fact that I was still in a cast (albeit a removable one) was absolutely no problem at all.

We hired a wheelchair through Sun Mobility and they couldn't have been more helpful. Even though I had arranged for the wheelchair to be delivered on our first morning, it was waiting outside the villa for us when we arrived the night before.

Virgin were brilliant with their special assistance and using a wheelchair through the airports meant no queues for security or immigration.

The theme parks were also very accommodating, letting us park in a disabled bay, or a normal bay right next to the disabled area even though we didn't have a disability badge. Everyone we met throughout the parks went out of their way to help us.

Fireworks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 11, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think people are generally very accommodating to disability they can see even when it is temporary. Glad you had a good time, so glad you didn't cancel.
Caj
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 11, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney2010
Imagineer

Disney2010's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
Well I'm back and had a brilliant time, the fact that I was still in a cast (albeit a removable one) was absolutely no problem at all.

We hired a wheelchair through Sun Mobility and they couldn't have been more helpful. Even though I had arranged for the wheelchair to be delivered on our first morning, it was waiting outside the villa for us when we arrived the night before.

Virgin were brilliant with their special assistance and using a wheelchair through the airports meant no queues for security or immigration.

The theme parks were also very accommodating, letting us park in a disabled bay, or a normal bay right next to the disabled area even though we didn't have a disability badge. Everyone we met throughout the parks went out of their way to help us.

Glad you had a fab time & didn't let it hinder your fun!
Erm... Trippy please?

Zoe x
Old 31 Aug 11, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread