Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 19 Apr 14, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

? After siezure

DD had a seizure last Sunday night, prob due to her tumours on optic nerves, infection etc ruled out at CT scan. She has been quite short tempered since, just wondered if this is normal. She is only 5 with no speech, we don't think she has remembered anything, but she cannot tell us. Got consultant appt soon, after MRI next week. Anybody have experience with kids with simlar?
Bootrip2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 14, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post

I would ring the consultants secretary and ask to speak to her consultant to query it, we've done this with our ds cardiologist when we've had concerns and we always get a call back the same day from one of the team.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 14, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Yes, DS has frequent seizures and is always the child (21) from hell for a few days afterwards.

A friend who had seizures says it feels like he's run a marathon after he had one.

DS Consultant told us Seizures during sleep are not as severe but we've found the after effects are worse.
Old 19 Apr 14, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Thanks, she hasn't had another yet. It's been horrible putting her to bed as we frightened she will have one at night and we wouldn't know or be able to help her. It's a frightening new experience for us. At least I don't think I am imagining her mood swings!
Bootrip2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 14, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

We find night time seizures the worst. We hardly sleep despite alarms etc x
Old 20 Apr 14, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
NJC
Serious Dibber

Hi my son had his second ever seizure early this morning in his sleep. He is six. We now have meds from the hospital and have started tonight with them. I just hope they work with no side effects. He had a huge meltdown today also but does most days so don't know whether the seizure has caused this.
I am very fed up.
We are supposed to be going to wdw in less than 2 week.
NJC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 14, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

It must be a very difficult time for you, do you know what caused your sons siezure? They think DDs is due to inflammation around her brain near where she has tumours, and while i know thats not good, at least it may not be another problem we are dealing with alongside her others.
I feel as though we are watching for her to go again, been a week now, so hpefully she wont repeat, although thats the uncertainty, hopefully life will return to normal soon, she going back to school next week so i will let them know. She goes to a special school anyway so they are used to kids having siezures and it is also our local school, so if worst happens and she does fit at school, DH will be there before ambulamce probably, and i will be already at hospital as i work there!
Old 20 Apr 14, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by NJC View Post
Hi my son had his second ever seizure early this morning in his sleep. He is six. We now have meds from the hospital and have started tonight with them. I just hope they work with no side effects. He had a huge meltdown today also but does most days so don't know whether the seizure has caused this.
I am very fed up.
We are supposed to be going to wdw in less than 2 week.
I really feel for you, hoping your DS meds help control the seizures. It's very frightening for you though. IMO, you should check with the medical team that he is fit to travel then, nform your insurance company as full cover is vital.

Could you look to postpone your holiday until you are more comfortable dealing with any seizures. Our DS had many hospital admissions during the first year or two he first started with seizures until we learnt how to manage them ourselves.
Old 20 Apr 14, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Beth can be very bad tempered before and after seizure. When she is at her worst we can predict a seizure is on it's way. It's a real shame when our kids have these without being able to understand that one is on it's way or when it's happening.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 14, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
NJC
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
It must be a very difficult time for you, do you know what caused your sons siezure? They think DDs is due to inflammation around her brain near where she has tumours, and while i know thats not good, at least it may not be another problem we are dealing with alongside her others.
I feel as though we are watching for her to go again, been a week now, so hpefully she wont repeat, although thats the uncertainty, hopefully life will return to normal soon, she going back to school next week so i will let them know. She goes to a special school anyway so they are used to kids having siezures and it is also our local school, so if worst happens and she does fit at school, DH will be there before ambulamce probably, and i will be already at hospital as i work there!
Yeah it sound as though we have kids that are very similar. My sons problems are chromosone related though. He attends a special school and is mostly none verbal(try's to say odd word). They deal with seizures every day so probably better at dealing with them than us. The local hospital did give us both first aid training the other day which was really good. We also have emergency meds just incase.
NJC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread