Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 20 Apr 14, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
NJC
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
I really feel for you, hoping your DS meds help control the seizures. It's very frightening for you though. IMO, you should check with the medical team that he is fit to travel then, nform your insurance company as full cover is vital.

Could you look to postpone your holiday until you are more comfortable dealing with any seizures. Our DS had many hospital admissions during the first year or two he first started with seizures until we learnt how to manage them ourselves.
we already had a piediatritian appointment next week so will decide then what to do. We only went to a and e to get him started on meds ASAP incase of side effects so we can deal with it before we go.We supposed to be going for his birthday. I now don't know what we are doing. We have insurance and will phone them tomorrow. Virgin have on web site you can travel as long as no seizures for 24 hours.
NJC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 14, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by NJC View Post
we already had a piediatritian appointment next week so will decide then what to do. We only went to a and e to get him started on meds ASAP incase of side effects so we can deal with it before we go.We supposed to be going for his birthday. I now don't know what we are doing. We have insurance and will phone them tomorrow. Virgin have on web site you can travel as long as no seizures for 24 hours.
Everything crossed you can travel as planned, you definitely need the break.

Just a few hints; keep your DS as hydrated as possible to prevent further seizures. Keep him out of the sun and as much to his regular meds schedule as you can. We find short, frequent times in the parks easier than long days.
Old 21 Apr 14, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
NJC
Serious Dibber

Everything crossed you can travel as planned, you definitely need the break.

Just a few hints; keep your DS as hydrated as possible to prevent further seizures. Keep him out of the sun and as much to his regular meds schedule as you can. We find short, frequent times in the parks easier than long days.
Thanks. He slept ok last night and meds haven't affecting him(touch wood).
NJC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 14, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Bear-family
Imagineer

Our son (5 years) has been having seizures since November last year. He has cerebral palsy due to brain damage after being born 3 month prem. he was put on epilim which reduced seizures from over 50 a day to maybe 2 a week but then he started having problems with eating, swallowing, fine and gross motor skills. Basically, everything we'd all work so hard on to get him more in dependant was being reversed as the meds slow the brain down. He is always very emotional and has a very short fuse after seizures. The consultant explained to us that he has Ora's before and after seizure which is the cause for the mood. He can be quite spiteful too he's hit, kicked, bitten and pushed over our youngest son (3 years). Consultant said behavioural issues are linked too the epilepsy. We have just been told by virgin that he can't fly if he's had a seizure within 24 hours of flying as the air pressure when in the air is very likely to trigger another one.
Bear-family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 14, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Luckily DD hasnt had any more, and we are going to see consultant on 28th, hopefully for MRI results and where we go from here.

Like most meds sometimes side effects are nearly as bad as what they are given for.
Bootrip2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 14, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bear-family View Post
Our son (5 years) has been having seizures since November last year. He has cerebral palsy due to brain damage after being born 3 month prem. he was put on epilim which reduced seizures from over 50 a day to maybe 2 a week but then he started having problems with eating, swallowing, fine and gross motor skills. Basically, everything we'd all work so hard on to get him more in dependant was being reversed as the meds slow the brain down. He is always very emotional and has a very short fuse after seizures. The consultant explained to us that he has Ora's before and after seizure which is the cause for the mood. He can be quite spiteful too he's hit, kicked, bitten and pushed over our youngest son (3 years). Consultant said behavioural issues are linked too the epilepsy. We have just been told by virgin that he can't fly if he's had a seizure within 24 hours of flying as the air pressure when in the air is very likely to trigger another one.
My dd is severe epileptic and we have never been told this. Can you cope with his seizure when he has them ? Does he have to go to hospital after ? I would talk to his consultant and ask his opinion and if he's happy for him to fly ask for a letter saying this.

My dd can also be a right handful when seizure is brewing, we often comment ones on the way. The teeth hurt the worst
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 14, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

We've always been told not to fly within 24 hours of a seizure by Virgin.
Old 19 May 14, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post

We've always been told not to fly within 24 hours of a seizure by Virgin.
I guess down to person who you talk to in special assistance. Beth would not of gone on half her holidays if we had not flown if she had a seizure the day before. I still would ask consultant for their opinion. Another thought due to this I would be making doubly sure your travel insurance covered should this happen.

Edited at 09:17 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 14, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
lepres
Excited about Disney

Hi
My daughters Consultant told us when she was diagnosed that there is No flying within 24 hours of a seizure.

Nearly didn't make it home last year as she had a seizure in Disney car park day before we travelled home! Can't praise staff, Firemen/Paramedics enough - Excellent treatment.

Due to weather flight ended up delayed for 2 or 3 hours so timings were just ok.

It is going to be a stressful time each time we fly... as we won't know until takeoff if we are going on holiday.

You Must, it goes without saying inform insurance company when taking out policy.

Oh and I mentioned to Air crew once boarded and seated on each flight that daughter is an Epileptic - just incase a problem - they were fine and seemed pleased to be informed and just told us to call them if we needed anything.

HTH

Best wishes

Gilly
lepres is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 14, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mainecoon lover View Post
I guess down to person who you talk to in special assistance. Beth would not of gone on half her holidays if we had not flown if she had a seizure the day before. I still would ask consultant for their opinion. Another thought due to this I would be making doubly sure your travel insurance covered should this happen.
Michelle, we were asked at check-in last week if Josh had suffered a seizure within the last 24 hours. It's the first time that has happened. Luckily, he hadn't.

Caron