Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 22 Oct 14, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
disneychell
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

2 insurance policies?

Ok, so I have been assigned the task of finding affordable travel insurance for my brother and his family. They have had a horrific year and it would be awesome for them to take their daughter to the happiest place on earth. The problem i'm having is not many companies will insure both of them for their pre existing medical conditions, and the ones that will are for over £1000.

The cost of the insurance is the deal breaker for the trip, they are expecting it to cost more than normal as they both have medical history but +£1000 just isn't affordable.

I have found a company that will insure my DSIL for her condition but wont cover DB for his history, they will for everything else and it is a reasonable price. I have also found another policy that will cover DB for his conditions but not for DSIL condition.

My question is can they take out both policies (the combined cost is very reasonable) and if needed claim off the appropriate one, or will having two policies invalidate each other?

I hope this makes sense, and appreciate any advice anybody has. Thankyou in advance.
disneychell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 14, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

As long as they are only on one policy they should be ok but should the holiday be cancelled due to one of them becoming ill you may have issues claiming both policies just check the wording carefully
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 14, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
disneychell

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
As long as they are only on one policy they should be ok but should the holiday be cancelled due to one of them becoming ill you may have issues claiming both policies just check the wording carefully
I hadn't even thought of that, thankyou. I'm very lucky as I have never had to look into policies covering pre existing conditions for any of my trips, I am completely shocked actually at the cost for it- there doesn't seem to be any consistency with the insurers either which is very frustrating.
disneychell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 14, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Have you checked out eurotunnel insurance, providing their doctor gives them a fit to travel note on their records they could get insurance for around £120. Used them for the trip we should have taken in July this year and they paid with no problems when we had to cancel the day before we where due to fly.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 14, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
disneychell

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Have you checked out eurotunnel insurance, providing their doctor gives them a fit to travel note on their records they could get insurance for around £120. Used them for the trip we should have taken in July this year and they paid with no problems when we had to cancel the day before we where due to fly.
I had a look on their site but couldn't find an option for USA cover? They would definitely be able to get fit to fly notes from their doctors as they are both in good health now. DSIL has a controlled medical condition and my brother has made a full recovery and not expected to suffer any future problems as a result of his previous condition. Do you have to ring eurotunnel insurance to get the USA cover? Thankyou for your help x
Old 22 Oct 14, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
couldn't they just get seperate policies? My DD is insured with a different insurance company to me ..I didn't think you could hold 2 policies

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 14, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
disneychell

Originally Posted by Villainlover View Post
couldn't they just get seperate policies? My DD is insured with a different insurance company to me ..I didn't think you could hold 2 policies
That is kind of what I meant. Having one policy for DSIL and their daughter, and a separate one for my brother. As another poster pointed out I don't know how that would work if they had to cancel though. This is all new territory for me and I will be honest I haven't got a clue. I think I am best to just dedicate a few hours of being on the phone to sort this out. I would hate to get it wrong and end up with invalidated policies.
Old 23 Oct 14, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Ring eurotunnel insurance up, it is an annual policy and they cover USA. They are really helpful on the phone and will answer any questions you might have.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
richard29
Apprentice Imagineer

You can have double insurance, as long as if a claim did arise you only claimed from one policy. Say the trip needed to be cancelled due to an illness, you would need to claim from the policy that covers that condition. It would be fraud to attempt to claim from both policies for the same trip. I hope this makes sense
richard29 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by disneychell View Post
That is kind of what I meant. Having one policy for DSIL and their daughter, and a separate one for my brother. As another poster pointed out I don't know how that would work if they had to cancel though. This is all new territory for me and I will be honest I haven't got a clue. I think I am best to just dedicate a few hours of being on the phone to sort this out. I would hate to get it wrong and end up with invalidated policies.
If they had to cancel then they would both claim of their own insurance policies and if anything happened and they had to stay over in hospital for eg then they usually allow 1 person to stay so this wouldn't be a problem .. I have different insurance to my DD

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread