Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Sep 16, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dking2001
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
Regarding baggage do you need to collect baggage at Philadelphia before your connecting flight or will you see it at Orlando.
You need to collect and re-check in PHL. Not a big deal though really. PHL is a smaller airport and I do not see an issue with a 2 hour transfer window.
dking2001 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
POFQfan
slightly serious Dibber

True it could be next day. So we're would we stand for compensation or being put up In a hotel food etc.
At the discretion of the airline I'm afraid. Last summer we flew with AA to MCO via JFK. JFK apparently have wind issues that mean they sometimes have to shut down while they change runway directions. Cut a long story short we missed our connection despite having two hours. AA had a lot of full flights (Aug) and couldn't fly us out until the next day. Had to sort out our own hotel overnight, calls to WDW cost a fortune and all our food. AA offered nothing and even after complaints at home and seeking compensation still refused anything.

Happily for us Disney, with whom we had booked both flight and resort, stepped in to pursue compensation for us and when AA still refused they refunded everything we lost at their own expense. Fabulous customer service - unlike AA.
POFQfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Devonlou
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Hecky78 View Post
Devonlou we fly out from manchester on July 23rd. Honestly last year was great, both legs were so quick it was great. We had enough time to grab food too before we got our internal flight. When do you fly?

Myaquarium you have to get your luggage and then it's checked back in. I can't remember the process but it was pretty harmless.
Sorry for the late reply, I have only just seen it after a manic day!
We go on 2nd August (Manchester too), thanks for the reassurance, it does make a big difference. I rang ba again this morning with a view to changing it, but the call handler was really helpful and basically talked me out of it, saying it should be fine. So 2 hours it is, unless they change again!
Might see you there!
SSR August 2015 & 2017
OKW August 2019
Devonlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
BoltofLight
Trying for More Ears

I've got the same flight Man to MCO via Philly, and I was worried about making the connection. When I rang up BA they said it was fine and we wouldn't be running though the airport manically.

The customer representative also said that we wouldn't need to pick up the bags at Philly, as its the airlines job to switch the bags to the next flight which seems at odds with what other people have said in the thread.
?_?
BoltofLight is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools2
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Spoke to American Airlines about this and the official time needed is 1hr 30min. They also said if booked thru as a connection with them or ba they would put you on next flight if there was a delay.

Regarding baggage do you need to collect baggage at Philadelphia before your connecting flight or will you see it at Orlando.
Originally Posted by BoltofLight View Post
The customer representative also said that we wouldn't need to pick up the bags at Philly, as its the airlines job to switch the bags to the next flight which seems at odds with what other people have said in the thread.
?_?
On your outward journey from the UK you will need to collect your bags at Philly because you go through immigration there! Process is simply collect your bags from the belt and then you hand them back in to be put on the next flight just before you go back through security.

On your inward journey to the UK you do not collect your bags they are tagged to go straight through to the UK (no US immigration to go through).
Old 29 Sep 16, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Thanks for your help. So I collect bag and recheck in at American Airlines. When I do online check in will I need to check in for both flights or will it be one thru ticket. I suppose I need two seperate boarding passes.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for your help. So I collect bag and recheck in at American Airlines. When I do online check in will I need to check in for both flights or will it be one thru ticket. I suppose I need two seperate boarding passes.
No you don't recheck it with AA. As soon as you leave customs, there's a belt and baggage handlers waiting to take the luggage.

You will check in for both legs at the same time, you will have two boarding passes.

When you leave the customs area just go straight to your next gate.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We had an 90 min connection at Philly back in 2013 and made it easy...

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post

I've flown via Philly a few times but it is a few years ago and each time we missed the connecting flight due to queues at customs/immigration. Don't want to put you off at all as maybe they have changed their procedures now. We were just bumped onto the next flight along with a few other that were on our original plane, but this meant about a 4 hour wait. Just an annoyance rather than a major stress.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 16, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Did iur connection in Philly yesterday, we had just under 2 hours to connect. Despite immigration being quiet we just made the 2 hour connection. The self check in kiosk's were closed. The queues were small but so slow. No one really guiding people through the connection route. To be honest I was shocked, used many hub's in the State's but yesterday was our worst experience. Still great to be here and the weather is looking good.
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread