Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Oct 16, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Ferb
Earning More Ears

Mobile Urgent insurance help!

We are due to travel on Thursday. My mum and dad are also travelling with us. My dad has a few health problems so they spent a small fortune on an annual insurance policy to ensure that he would be adequately covered. Last Friday he developed an outer ear infection which is totally unrelated to his existing conditions which is now on the mend. My mum called the travel insurance today to let them know about this. They are now saying that because he doesn't finish his antibiotics until Friday morning the insurance will now not cover ANY of his presents existing conditions! Help! Anyone have any advice please!
Ferb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Im sure they cannot do that. ring them again and ask to speak to someone higher up. What company is this? These insurance companies seem to be getting worse and seem to be a law unto themselves :angry:
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dking2001
Excited about Disney

Sorry no real experience of this but it does seem ludicrous. I assume if your Dad is not insured for these conditions then he would want to cancel or postpone the flight out until after the antibiotic course. Are the company saying they would cover him for these additional costs? I would ask them direct if they would pay insurance on the above if not then surely they should be obliged to cover him? Ask where exactly in their policy it states that a non pre-exisiting condition negates ALL cover for pre-existing conditions.

If they stick by their position would it be an option to tell them to cancel and refund their policy and take out another for all pre-existing conditions (including the ear infection). You may even be able to do this with the same company!

Hopefully there will be some travel insurance experts read this soon who can provide you with more detailed advice.
dking2001 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Are you sure your Mum isn't mistaken and they said this pre-existing condition (his ear)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Ferb
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Thanks for the replies. Just quickly looking online and it seems that other companies would insure him for his other conditions and the ear infection. At the moment it looks like our best option would be to try and get a refund from the old policy and take out a new one. 😠😠 So annoyed!
Ferb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Ferb
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
Are you sure your Mum isn't mistaken and they said this pre-existing condition (his ear)
No. They definitely said ALL pre existing conditions. She obviously wasn't happy about this so kept going over it with them.
Old 10 Oct 16, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridasun
Imagineer

They cannot do that. Speak to a manager. Advise them if they do not resolve this you will contact the insurance ombudsman. Then if not sorted, call them urgently. They will not side with the insurer on this and the insurer will have to pay a big fee to the ombudsman for their investigation (regardless of the outcome).
Floridasun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 16, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
HirosBaymax
slightly serious Dibber

Im afraid they are right, it sucks believe me. I have worked in Insurance for over ten years and it is something that is a very grey area. They cover him for all his current ailments when he is travelling but if he is still on a course of medication they can have grounds to refuse. Insurance is all about risk assessment. His pre existing conditions they see as low risk. Though something new has flagged up and sometimes its a "computer says no situation" Its ludicrous these companies get away with it. I have spent many a time arguing with other insurance companies for my clients trying to help out but 9/10 they wont.

My best advice would be for now, try and get a requote elsewhere and take that back to the insurers and say he will leave unless they can match it. At least then he will have some insurance in place with a chance to strong arm his currents insurers into doing a good deed.

I hope it all works out
Old 10 Oct 16, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Ferb
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Thanks everyone. Mum has managed to get insurance from another company who will cover all existing conditions including the ear infection. We now just have to see how much refund we can get from the original company. At least we can still all travel on Thursday which is a big relief!
Old 11 Oct 16, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Which insurance company did eventually cover your dad? I have a pre-existing problem and cannot get anyone to insure me. Thanks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread