Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 13 Apr 19, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DeniseC View Post
We are hoping to catch the sun rail train from Poinciana Station to Winter Park on our next trip. Is the station far from the main ‘hub’?
It’s only £5-50 return.
Means we don’t need to worry about having a glass of wine with lunch!
Not sure what you mean by main "hub" but Poinciana Station is on S Poinciana Boulevard near the junction with the 17 so it depends on where you are coming from.

The station in Winter Park is right in the middle of the town and you just cross the park to where the restaurants and cafes are so it couldn't be more central.

Google maps would be useful to look at.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
DeniseC
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
Not sure what you mean by main "hub" but Poinciana Station is on S Poinciana Boulevard near the junction with the 17 so it depends on where you are coming from.

The station in Winter Park is right in the middle of the town and you just cross the park to where the restaurants and cafes are so it couldn't be more central.

Google maps would be useful to look at.
Thank you.
It was the location of the Winter Park station I wasn't sure of. Didn't want to get there and then have to take a cab. This sounds perfect.
We are near Poinciana so pass it often.
DeniseC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Thank you.
It was the location of the Winter Park station I wasn't sure of. Didn't want to get there and then have to take a cab. This sounds perfect.
We are near Poinciana so pass it often.
I love the fact that you can be sitting having something to eat and watch the Sun Rail and Amtrak trains coming into town - especially when Amtrak trains blow their whistle, it is very atmospheric. There are loads of nice places to eat I like Luma and the Briar Patch.

If you want to go on the scenic boat trip it is a short walk from the main street Park Avenue and the grounds of Rollins College are lovely to walk around. There is a small museum (the Morse) dedicated to the work of Louis Tiffany which is worth a look if you have time. Don't forget to wander round Pottery Barn, the building it is housed in looks lovely from the outside and I love Williams Sonoma.

Don't forget that Sun Rail is only Monday to Friday and when you have bought your tickets you need to scan them in and out similar to Oyster cards. Hope you have a lovely time when you visit and would be nice to find out how it went if you have a chance.

Edited:- Oddly this link popped up in my email this morning and Rollins College gets a mention cntraveler/galleries...YyMDgyMzAzNgS2

Edited at 08:30 AM.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
DeniseC
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
I love the fact that you can be sitting having something to eat and watch the Sun Rail and Amtrak trains coming into town - especially when Amtrak trains blow their whistle, it is very atmospheric. There are loads of nice places to eat I like Luma and the Briar Patch.

If you want to go on the scenic boat trip it is a short walk from the main street Park Avenue and the grounds of Rollins College are lovely to walk around. There is a small museum (the Morse) dedicated to the work of Louis Tiffany which is worth a look if you have time. Don't forget to wander round Pottery Barn, the building it is housed in looks lovely from the outside and I love Williams Sonoma.

Don't forget that Sun Rail is only Monday to Friday and when you have bought your tickets you need to scan them in and out similar to Oyster cards. Hope you have a lovely time when you visit and would be nice to find out how it went if you have a chance.

Edited:- Oddly this link popped up in my email this morning and Rollins College gets a mention cntraveler/galleries...YyMDgyMzAzNgS2

Amazing info, thanks!
We ran out of time last visit but my husband loves trains and we will definitely include it in our itinerary when we return in Oct.
DeniseC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

We've been to Winter Park a few time but haven't been by train its now on out to do list for next week.
Rob & Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DeniseC
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Rob & Jan View Post
We've been to Winter Park a few time but haven't been by train its now on out to do list for next week.
Makes a change from sitting in traffic doesn't it?
We're even considering taking the 'special ' to see the Orlando Magic.
Old 13 Apr 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Makes a change from sitting in traffic doesn't it?
We're even considering taking the 'special ' to see the Orlando Magic.
That's what I thought, give Rob a break from driving and he loves trains, might even be able to drag him out of Home Depot!
Rob & Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Garyjbodle
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

I am planning to take my family of 5 (including 3 children aged 12, 9 and 6). We are thinking of visiting Winter Park as a detox from the theme parks. We are also British and hope to have the free bottle of waters by then (Oct 2019) 😄

Serious question though - will there be enough to keep the children amused? May have to bribe them with something! It just be a nice break for my wife and I.
Garyjbodle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Garyjbodle View Post
I am planning to take my family of 5 (including 3 children aged 12, 9 and 6). We are thinking of visiting Winter Park as a detox from the theme parks. We are also British and hope to have the free bottle of waters by then (Oct 2019) 😄

Serious question though - will there be enough to keep the children amused? May have to bribe them with something! It just be a nice break for my wife and I.
There's a very pleasant boat ride round a chain of lakes, a museum dedicated to Tiffany glass, nice non-chain shops and restaurants and expensive realtors.

We are a "mature" couple who've visited a few times but Magic Kingdom it aint.

Mick
Old 5 May 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Garyjbodle View Post

Bribe them with a promise of a visit to the Cheesecake Factory in Winter Park. We were rained off last May but had a lovely meal before driving back to the villa but hoping to actually do the boat ride and have a wee wander in October.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List