Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Jun 19, 03:25 AM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Avis Tampa and tolls

I picked up my standard SUV from Avis at TPA a few hours ago. Nice Ford Edge Titanium. There was a sheet of paper in the car saying that to charge tolls I needed to turn on the transponder. The same charges as Alamo. There is a transponder which is set to off. I thought avis were the same as Alamo and used number plate recognition, rather than the transponder. Should I just turn the transponder on?

Also another issue I've not encountered in over 20 trips at various times of year. The outside of the windscreen and drivers side window keep on misting up. I need to keep it on intermittent wipe and it's not raining. Any suggestions gratefully received.
amf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I would keep the transponder turned off. The plate system will kick in as you go through the first toll.

Misting, know it well. The side windows is a right pain and because their cars are so poorly built even dropping the window doesn't 'scrape it dry'
Caused by the side dashboard vent cold air hitting the damp warmer window.

I find the screen clears fine by ensuring I have the cooling system set to face and screen, not just face.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

The outside is misting up possibly due to the aircon running too cold. Suggest you up the temp a wee bit, or divert air from the screen.

Has the car out of state plates? If so that’s possibly why there’s a Transponder as other states may not use plate pass.
Good advice from Tom, to leave it off.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks folks. I've also found a post by mick confirming that he left the avis transponder off, with no problems. It's strange how avis website suggests turning transponder on if customers wish the tolls charged avis/en/products-and...es/avis-e-toll

I will leave it off as I'm happy to trust the experts on here... This is my first avis in US.

Strange I've never encountered the misting problem before. Rain is due later so if the problem arises again I will give suggestions a bash.
amf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Updated to add that car has Florida plates
Old 8 Jun 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Well am I not just having fun and games from my first US avis rental😜

The Edge had a slow puncture so I took it to MCO to exchange. I was given a GMC Terrain. I drove this round to the car returns section to get DW's ECV from the Edge. It wouldn't fit in the Terrain so off I go back to the kiosk.

I was given a CX-9. I put down the 2 wee back seats (7 seater) and this swallowed the ECV. Before arrival I would have thought I'd prefer the CX-9 but I miss the Edge. It had satnav and the infotainment system was more intuitive.

Add to that my Fuel Service Option on the original hire has now disappeared. I've had to Facebook avis to try to get it reinstated.

Oh, and there are marks on the back seats and scuffs on the internal facia. I don't think the car was cleaned.

My do I need a pint 🍺😁