Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Dec 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Calling BA to add on a return avios

Hi folks,
When any of you guys have called to get the return leg added on to a bogof voucher with avios, what were the taxes. The reason I ask this is because when I price up as a return the taxes are around £1400 for club world, but as 2 singles come out around £2 k.
My outbound flights come on tomorrow and I want to secure them but not if it costs me an extra £500.

Thanks in advance.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

The price is more expensive for taxes if you dont book the return at the same time. Cant remember the exact figure but definitely more.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rich accountant
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

When you phone, they should reticket as a return, that's what happened to me in August.
I did however read on Flyertalk that some agents had stopped this. Best to phone and ask

Our taxes and charges were a out £1.3k from memory for economy out and club inbound for 2a 2c

Edited at 10:39 PM.
Rich accountant is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 19, 04:30 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

The HeadforPoints site emailed & have an article dated 22nd November 2019 on this.

Looks like BA tweaked their system for those calling to book their return flights at a later date using Avios & 2-4-1; result=you pay taxes & fees for 2 x tickets rather than the lower taxes & fees for a return ticket; from the examples given in that article, the additional taxes & fees sound about right.

Rob does suggest a possible way around this so may be worth you finding & reading that news item/article. Hope it helps.

Edited at 04:34 AM.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 19, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks everyone. Looks like I may just have to wait it out.
Old 25 Dec 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
The HeadforPoints site emailed & have an article dated 22nd November 2019 on this.

Looks like BA tweaked their system for those calling to book their return flights at a later date using Avios & 2-4-1; result=you pay taxes & fees for 2 x tickets rather than the lower taxes & fees for a return ticket; from the examples given in that article, the additional taxes & fees sound about right.

Rob does suggest a possible way around this so may be worth you finding & reading that news item/article. Hope it helps.
I've re read Rob's article as I'm currently in the same boat as OP. What he said was that there had been a change if the outbound and inbound flights were booked separately online and a request was then made to combine both. Previously BA repriced this as a return. Now they leave the taxes and fees priced as the more expensive 2 one way flights.

To get round this you add the return flight by calling the BA service centre. Then the flights' taxes and fees are re priced as a return, which is cheaper.

Be aware that BA's systems sometimes play funny beggars. When I added on my TPA return this year they overpriced by £120 per pax. When calling I could get no one at BA to understand the problem. I waited until the flights were completed and sent them a Letter before Action, giving them 14 days to refund. No reply so I claimed via Money claim Online. When they got the court papers they settled promptly. Hopefully OP will not need to do this.

Edited at 10:02 AM.
amf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
Thanks everyone. Looks like I may just have to wait it out.
I would just wait until both legs are available. I have never needed to book the outbound as soon as it comes out, plus I would want to know that both legs are available on suitable dates and I have my desired length of trip anyway.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 19, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I would just wait until both legs are available. I have never needed to book the outbound as soon as it comes out, plus I would want to know that both legs are available on suitable dates and I have my desired length of trip anyway.
I am just going to wait till they are both available. Tbh if we don’t get business out it’s not the end of the world. Will get it back no probs I reckon.
I’m what my dh calls a ‘rager’ as in if I want something I need to get it ASAP lol.

Edited to say I’m talking rubbish,I read the article and it seems to me that I can still call to add the second leg on at the tax cost of a return So outward flights have just been booked. Will just need to see if this is correct.

Edited at 11:11 PM.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List