Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 4 Mar 18, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG Florida Return - 5th September 2017 Day 21

Day 21

Apologies today is very photo light

I had set the alarm for 7am this morning. I didn't want to sleep in any later as I wanted to manage a decent sleep on the plane tonight.
Everyone was up and it was all hands on deck to finish off packing and cleaning up the villa. I went out to do the last of the rubbish and recycling. I could hear this really loud noise behind me and when I turned around this great big hot air balloon was just landing in the field opposite the villa. I’m not entirely sure how I didn’t see it when I first went outside

Our last sunrise

The Expedition

Packed up the last of our suitcases and then helped the kids do theirs then stripped the beds.

A few more of our ridiculously huge bedroom and bathroom!

We had a slightly later check out time of 12 so I stayed in my night stuff until I had to get dressed, one less thing to wash
The kids wanted one last swim which was no problem. Got them out at about 11 so we could quickly put their swim stuff in the dryer before packing it up.

We were all ready by just after 11.30 so after an emotional farewell we went on our way.

Goodbye villa

Our flight wasn't until 5.35pm so we had enough time to stop for lunch on the way to the airport. We would meet Bill & Sylvia at check in as they weren't hungry yet.

I suggested we try Friendlys on International Drive as I had heard good reviews plus I had a 25% off voucher.
Took about 30 minutes to get there, it was very straight forward.
The restaurant car park was empty, we were even wondering if it was closed or not. Turned out it was just very quiet
Funny thing when we asked for a table for 8, the server said she would check to see if any were available . Literally every table was free apart from one
She found one (!) and we were soon seated.

I knew exactly what I was having as I had read in Wiley Coyotes trip report her having the Honey BBQ Chicken Melt Sandwich. I was also definitely having one of their milkshakes too so ordered chocolate. Jim liked the look of what I was having so had the same. We upgraded it to a combo that included a one scoop sundae. Well it is our last day of the holiday before I'll be crash dieting so thought I would go out with a bang
Hope and Sam had chicken tenders (for a change!) and a milkshake.

The food actually took ages to arrive, they must have only just opened the kitchen.
When it was brought out we were worried it didn't look very much and thought we would be hungry after but it was the perfect amount. We must be getting used to the huge portions that are served in the US.

It was yummy, especially the milkshake!

We got talking to our server during the meal as the upcoming hurricane Irma was due to make landfall in the Caribbean and later Florida in a few days.
She said that the stores were running out of bottled water and bread. She had called Coca Cola on behalf of Friendly's to put in an order for more water to be told that as of the next day there would be a restriction on how much you could order. This was not only because of spreading out so people had enough but because a lot of their trucks were still stuck in Houston from Hurricane Harvey so couldn't physically get there. It was very scary stuff! Watching the footage of the hurricane on Fox News once back home it really transpired how lucky we were leaving that day

With our 25% off coupon the amount was $45 including full 20% tip. Nice and cheap

We were now ready to head to the airport. I put the Sat Nav on, it said 18 minutes which was good.
As I got to the ring road around the airport, I suddenly remembered I hadn't filled the car up! I also knew that Avis charged you $9 a litre so I had to get it done before.
Hope quickly re routed us to what we thought was the closest petrol station. 15 minutes later we pulled up to a 7-11 in the middle of nowhere! Quite a few dodgy looking locals around. It was now 2.30pm so started to sweat slightly. I had no idea where Jim and the Leans had gone so was on my own with just Hope and Sean with me! Probably not my brightest idea with hindsight
Filled up with $20 which I knew was too much but just wanted to quickly fill up and get the hell out of there

Put the address of the airport in and was soon on my way. Jim called to ask where the heck I was as they were waiting for me at the car drop off.
Found Avis Terminal A and dropped the car off without hitch. I made sure the receipt they gave me had a zero balance due.

Got the elevator down to the tunnel, walked across then another elevator back up to level 3 to find the British Airways check in.
No queue thankfully so were straight up to the desk. We couldn't check in online yesterday so needed to do that as well as bag drop.
Unfortunately for Helen and Nick, 2 of their cases were over by a couple of kg each even though the other 2 suitcases were under by about 5kg each!
They had a real jobsworth of an agent so had to do the walk of shame to shift over some of their clothes or pay $100 per case .
Again I would understand if all cases were over but if some are over and some under what does it matter? It's all the same weight on the plane. Sorry rant over

Anyway they got it sorted so didn't have to pay.
We had to pay $100 for Jim's golf clubs and $100 for my extra case which I knew about and had budgeted for.
After all that we asked if our seats had stayed the same. Well because of an aircraft change our seats were totally different! We had pre booked and paid for our seats back in October, row 27 and 28 so both families would be together. We had now been given row 33 and the Leans 38. Not a big deal but I did have a bit of a grumble to our agent who called over her supervisor. He really apologised and said if we went to see him before we boarded he would see what he could do. Couldn't be fairer than that, it's not like it's personally his fault.
It does annoy me that airlines charge you to choose your seats when you book but just like that they can move you and not even inform you. Another rant over

Off we toddled through security as wanted to get that over with as it looked busy.
We didn't have to take electrical items out but did have to take our shoes off even my flip flops. I'm all for heightened security I really am but wish it would be consistent at every airport, plus I don't even want to think about the germs on the airport floor that I had to walk over with bare feet

Once through we went to find Gate 80, luckily for us it was the first one we got to. Sat everyone down whilst I got the kids a drink and a snack. Jim wanted something stronger so headed to the bar at the next gate with Helen and Nick. I joined them after I made sure kids were ok and plugged into their various devices. I ordered a vodka and lemonade, $8.50 . Hoping this would help me sleep.
We spent around 30 minutes here reflecting on the holiday and having a giggle.

Soon time to board so went back to retrieve the others. Our names were called up at the desk and the manager from check in was there and told us he had put us back to being in 2 rows together which was very kind of him. New boarding passes in hand we now went to board.

We soon had our luggage stowed and were buckled in for the next 8 and a half hours.
We took off on time and after a short while the drinks service came round, a Diet Coke for me.
I had started to watch Baywatch but 15 minutes into it there was an announcement to say all IFE needed to be rebooted as some passengers weren’t working. Very annoying but I suppose necessary!
Started it again and got about halfway through when dinner came round. The choice was either a chicken curry or cheesy pasta. I went with the pasta, it was just about edible!

Once Baywatch had finished I tried to get some sleep. I think I managed 4 hours then drifted in and out for the remainder of the flight.
Breakfast was brought out about an hour from landing but I have no recollection of what this was or any photos. Probably standard airline food.

We landed on time at about 7am into Gatwick. We used the automatic kiosks and they were much quicker. For the first time in forever () I wasn’t grilled as to if Hope and Sam were actually my children!

Once we retrieved all our luggage and went out into arrivals we bid Bill and Sylvia goodbye. They had parked their car in the long stay car park so after lots of hugs and kisses they went on their way.
Instead of all of us going to find Nicks van he kindly went to get it from the North terminal (as that’s where we stayed the night before) and would meet us out the front. In the meantime I got coffees for the journey and some essentials from M&S.

Nick called to say he was outside so we went out and loaded the van up. Another game of luggage Tetris but we were soon done and on our way.
A quick stop in the McD’s drive through for breakfast before we hit the M25.
About 40 minutes later we were back home. The Leans stopped long enough for a coffee but wanted to get on the road ASAP as they still had the journey back down to Hampshire to do.

We spent the rest of the day slowly unpacking and having a bit of a cheeky snooze! We were all in bed for 9 as the kids had school and we had work the next day. No rest for the wicked eh

So that concludes what has been a mammoth and unforgettable 3 weeks.
Thank you to everyone for reading and especially commenting. It really does spur you on to get it finished

So what’s next? We are off to Florida again this August but with a 5 night stay in New York to start, 7 nights on Anna Maria Island then finishing with 9 nights in Windsor Hills. Slightly different as it will just be the 4 of us and we won’t be doing any parks . We are praying we don’t end up killing each other!
There is talk between Jim and I to possibly pay for a 1 day 2 park ticket to Universal but we will see what the pennies are doing nearer the time. But fear not, it leaves us plenty of time for shopping . We are actually really excited to see what Florida has to offer without Disney. I am planning on doing a Deluxe resort hopping day so I can get my fix though!

TTFN

IG - alicialanesmith

Edited at 11:15 PM.
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post

What a lovely holiday, I've really enjoyed reading. I hope to go for 3 weeks one year, just to be able to break up the park days a bit more! Exciting you're off there again this year. We stayed at Windsor Hills in 2016, and it's lovely. x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by tinkerbell92 View Post
What a lovely holiday, I've really enjoyed reading. I hope to go for 3 weeks one year, just to be able to break up the park days a bit more! Exciting you're off there again this year. We stayed at Windsor Hills in 2016, and it's lovely. x
Thank you so much for reading! 3 weeks has thoroughly spoiled us, it meant we could do everything at a much more relaxed pace.
I'm glad to hear Windsor Hills is lovely, it certainly looks it

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm so sad that you have finished writing your trip report. As you know I'm a massive fan of you, your family and your holiday. It seems like you all managed to have your own space and do your thing (golf and shopping) as well as having fun times together. Sometimes in big groups it feels like you're always compromising and then no one is really happy as no one gets to do what they want, but it certainly didn't seem that way for you guys.

Your next trip sounds great, we loved NYC last summer. Have you been before? We hadn't and so we did all the tourist things, SOL, Empire State, TOTR, the Ride, Central Park...It was brilliant. Then a longer stay at AMI which I'm sure you will find relaxing after the hectic NYC. I hope you have a brilliant time this year and I'm looking forward to reading all about it.

Xx

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve spent most of a day off today reading your whole report! Sounds an amazing trip, lots of lovely food and shopping
I was interested to read about the springs, I’ve never heard of those, looks fun.
Thanks for sharing
Old 5 Mar 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm so sad that you have finished writing your trip report. As you know I'm a massive fan of you, your family and your holiday. It seems like you all managed to have your own space and do your thing (golf and shopping) as well as having fun times together. Sometimes in big groups it feels like you're always compromising and then no one is really happy as no one gets to do what they want, but it certainly didn't seem that way for you guys.

Your next trip sounds great, we loved NYC last summer. Have you been before? We hadn't and so we did all the tourist things, SOL, Empire State, TOTR, the Ride, Central Park...It was brilliant. Then a longer stay at AMI which I'm sure you will find relaxing after the hectic NYC. I hope you have a brilliant time this year and I'm looking forward to reading all about it.

Xx
Abby thank you so much for all your kind words throughout this trippy
I cant believe I have actually finished it, it was touch and go for a while
I think the trick of a group holiday is to try and let everyone do what they want. It doesn't always work (as you know!) but on the whole I think and hope we got it right. Jim and I would end up throttling each other if we spent every minute of the holiday together. Watch out for this years trippy, we may come back separated
We have never been to New York, I am so excited. I am going to be a typical tourist and do everything you mentioned. Did you do a trip report? I don't think I've come across it?
We will try and squeeze it all into 5 days. The week on the beach will be well needed by the time we get there!
Take care x

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 5 Mar 18, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
I’ve spent most of a day off today reading your whole report! Sounds an amazing trip, lots of lovely food and shopping
I was interested to read about the springs, I’ve never heard of those, looks fun.
Thanks for sharing
Thanks so much for reading Emma.
You really must do the Springs if you have time, its such a relaxing day and feels a world away from the parks

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 6 Mar 18, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Abby thank you so much for all your kind words throughout this trippy
I cant believe I have actually finished it, it was touch and go for a while
I think the trick of a group holiday is to try and let everyone do what they want. It doesn't always work (as you know!) but on the whole I think and hope we got it right. Jim and I would end up throttling each other if we spent every minute of the holiday together. Watch out for this years trippy, we may come back separated
We have never been to New York, I am so excited. I am going to be a typical tourist and do everything you mentioned. Did you do a trip report? I don't think I've come across it?
We will try and squeeze it all into 5 days. The week on the beach will be well needed by the time we get there!
Take care x
Right, if you are looking for NYC trip reports. I have a couple to recommend...

Firstly, the one I read and got lots of tips from is by a lovely lady called Lynda on the dibb she's Fuellady. She posted it just before we went last summer so it was perfect timing and she gave great advice on all sorts of things. The report is called what we learned in New York. I learned loads and basically stole her itinerary.

Second, Emma/I love Jack went last August and did a trip report she did cycling in central park, which is way too energetic and far too much like exercise for me, but it was a great report. The link for her report is in her signature. I couldn't steal her ideas as we'd already had our trip.

Thirdly, a couple of years ago Amanda/Wileycoyote did a trip report which was NYC, Washington DC and Orlando. I stole lots of her ideas! I'm pretty sure the first part of her trip was NYC so you could check that out.

Finally, I did write a food report that meandered into trip report territory as I mention some of the incidents that happened along the way...like my DS nearly having his foot chopped off in the subway, those doors are like a vice when they are closing. So, you could check out where we ate if you want. The link is in my signature it's the NYC and Orlando 2017 report.

Good luck with your research! It's a fab city.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 07:59 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 18, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Right, if you are looking for NYC trip reports. I have a couple to recommend...

Firstly, the one I read and got lots of tips from is by a lovely lady called Lynda on the dibb she's Fuellady. She posted it just before we went last summer so it was perfect timing and she gave great advice on all sorts of things. The report is called what we learned in New York. I learned loads and basically stole her itinerary.

Second, Emma/I love Jack went last August and did a trip report she did cycling in central park, which is way too energetic and far too much like exercise for me, but it was a great report. The link for her report is in her signature. I couldn't steal her ideas as we'd already had our trip.

Thirdly, a couple of years ago Amanda/Wileycoyote did a trip report which was NYC, Washington DC and Orlando. I stole lots of her ideas! I'm pretty sure the first part of her trip was NYC so you could check that out.

Finally, I did write a food report that meandered into trip report territory as I mention some of the incidents that happened along the way...like my DS nearly having his foot chopped off in the subway, those doors are like a vice when they are closing. So, you could check out where we ate if you want. The link is in my signature it's the NYC and Orlando 2017 report.

Good luck with your research! It's a fab city.
Ooh thanks so much for these, I have read a few of the ones mentioned and you're right I have pretty much stolen their itineraries . I really can't wait to get there. I've been *shamefully* binge watching Gossip Girl so now want to saunter up 5th Avenue to the Upper East Side .
Right off to read yours now, I'm not sure how I missed this!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 7 Mar 18, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
51emz
Apprentice Imagineer

51emz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Just read your whole trip in couple of days!

Enjoyed it very much, thanks for sharing!