Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Aug 20, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
salmon70
Imagineer

Mobile EHIC card - do I need one

Morning folks

Can someone please confirm whether we will need an EHIC card if travelling to Europe? We’ve not been to Europe for around 10 years so am not sure. We have worldwide travel insurance. Also, would it be received in card format or can it be stored electronically on your phone? Also, how long do they usually take to receive.

Thank you
salmon70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by salmon70 View Post
Morning folks

Can someone please confirm whether we will need an EHIC card if travelling to Europe? We’ve not been to Europe for around 10 years so am not sure. We have worldwide travel insurance. Also, would it be received in card format or can it be stored electronically on your phone? Also, how long do they usually take to receive.

Thank you
My son is off to Italy and his EHIC was out of date so just sent off for renewal and it took about 5 days, it’s a card

Am just covering all bases, he will also have travel insurance
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
salmon70
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Edie ours ran out years ago and we’re due to go to DLP first thing on Monday morning. I’m going to call them when they open this morning see if we can get them quicker. Only booked this trip last minute too oh dear 😒
salmon70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

My husband applied for his before we went to Gran Canaria and it didn’t arrive in time. However, on its website it does give information as to what to do if you don’t have your card in time and you need medical assistance. I think you need to know your N.I number as one of the things.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I think that you should have BOTH travel insurance and an EHIC for European travel - the reasoning being that the travel insurance policy will only want to pay for treatment that is not covered by the EHIC.

Here's the wording from my policy -
European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) (Residents of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland only) If you are travelling to countries in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland we strongly advise that you take an EHIC with you...This will allow you to benefit from the reciprocal health arrangements which exist with these countries. You should take reasonable steps to use these arrangements where possible.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

BETH - absolutely agree EHIC and good Travel Insurance for all European travel.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mine took just over a week to receive the card so probably best worth applying now so hopefully processed before you go. They're only valid until the end of the year.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Just apply - don’t worry about receiving the card. I know from sorry experience that you can also apply retrospectively if something goes wrong ! If you needed treatment they would give you a number over the phone
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Ordered mine last week and it came today
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by patjeff63 View Post
BETH - absolutely agree EHIC and good Travel Insurance for all European travel.
Even more so next year after Brexit!
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List