Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Oct 20, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Anybody have a cat with thyroid problems?

The last 4+ weeks Little Lily has been constantly hungry. As I'm working from home I'm able to feed her 6 times a day and she's eating about twice as much as she normally would and not putting on weight. I read this is often a symptom of overactive thyroid
She's 19 though and I'm a bit loathe to put an old lady (in her equivalent late 90's to humans) through a trip to the vets and examination and all that while she feels absolutely fine.
So I thought I would ask here first - if you have a thyroid cat what were the symptoms, how was it diagnosed? Did your cat get poorly?
It's quite a long drive to our vet and she hates the car. If it wasn't for COVID I would happily pay the callout fee for the vet to come to me but they're not doing home visits.

FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

My cat was diagnosed with this - they had to take a blood test. He was eating very well too. They said he could also have other issues which this problem could be masking. They said we could have tablets or gel - we went for the gel you rub on his ears but to get the dose right we started small and he had a blood test even month - took four months to get to the actual amounted need. He’s 20 and hates cat journeys but there is no other way to be sure and get the medication. You may be lucky and if she only needs a small amount of medication you might get the right dose in only two trips. This was over a year ago.

One think to do is weigh her daily and see if she is stable, losing or adding weight. A healthy cat should be stable, a thyroid cat might be losing weight - although ours was minimal - it was a lose despite eating a lot!

Edited at 07:44 AM.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney
Imagineer

My sisters cat had this recently she became very ill quite quickly. I would take your cats to the vets if possible, I think there is medication they can have,

July '17 - Sunset Lakes, Aug '15 - Windsor Hills, Aug 13- Highlands Reserve,Aug '11 -Windsor Hills
Oct '09 - Sunset Lakes,May '08 - Lindfields,April '07 - Florida pines,April '05 - Florida Pines,July 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza,I Drive. May 96 - International Drive
lovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Get your cat to the Vets asap
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

My cat is on meds for his thyroid. It presented as intense hunger and weightloss. He was always a hungry cat and would steal food if you turned your back... but it progressed to stealing food from my hand and howling for food all the time. The did a blood test which actually showed his levels were fine, however, as all his symptoms fit (and he has heart disease so we have to be super careful about his health) we treated him anyway and it has helped a lot - he has put weight back on and is less hungry.

My boy hates going to the vet now after all the emergency trips, over night stays and heart scans, but it was definitely the best thing for him and he is much happier now. Can you speak to your vet on the phone first to describe what is going on? I imagine they will want to see him but it could be worth a quick chat first if they will do that?

Let us know how you get on
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
My cat is on meds for his thyroid. It presented as intense hunger and weightloss. He was always a hungry cat and would steal food if you turned your back... but it progressed to stealing food from my hand and howling for food all the time.
I do wonder if it's just her age and being unable to digest food efficiently. She's not 'food crazy' it just that she follows me hopefully into the kitchen and sits looking at me until I give her some food. But she won't eat large amounts. She hasn't lost any weight
maybe I will wait another week and see how she goes. She seems so content otherwise I don't want to upset her
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Imagineer

Both my cats had thyroid problems as they got older. I can’t remember exactly how old they were but I think probably around 16. They needed blood tests to start with just to get the Medication dosage Right. Whilst ever they were stable and maintained weight I don’t remember them having tests, but eventually the dosage ended up needing increasing. They were both on the medication for years, until we lost one at 18 and one at 20, but the medication gave them a number of good extra happy years.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
frances01
slightly serious Dibber

One of my cats developed an overactive thyroid when she was about 16/17. This was diagnosed by a blood test. Her symptoms where always hungry and drinking a lot. Once on the tablets she was a lot better. She never liked going to the vets but if she had to for her health then I took her. She lived until she was 21.5 years old. Definately take your cat to get checked.
Sept 97 Orlando, Sept 98 Orlando, Sept 00 Orlando, Mar 03 Orlando, Feb 04 DLP, Apr 05 Orlando, Oct 06 Orlando, Oct 07 St Augustine/Orlando, Oct 08 Disney Eastern Caribbean Cruise/Orlando, Oct 09 Orlando, Oct 10 Orlando/Disney Western Caribbean Cruise, Oct 11 Orlando, Oct 13 Orlando. Oct 14 Orlando, Oct 15 Orlando/Keys, Jul 17 Orlando, Feb 22 Orlando, Jul 23 Orlando
frances01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List