Notices

Old 25 Feb 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Sounds like a great trip! Smokey mountains and New Orleans are both on my must do list at some point
They’ve been on my list for a long while now so really excited to see both. Thank you for reading 😃

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thanks so much for reading along, we hope it will be as epic as last years!
I see you're off to the Gulf Coast this year, whereabouts are you going?
I'm sure it will be fab, can't wait to read it! We haven't decided but it's changed from we originally booked. Flying into Miami driving up maybe a few stops then staying in Tampa for Busch before going to Orlando. So only really the one day with a couple of stops now, no overnights at the beach. Going to be a quieter trip for us this year with only 5 park days...for now lol

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow, this sounds incredible. We have 2 teenage daughters (15,14) and would love to do something similar next year after the eldest has sat her GCSEs. Looking forward to reading along. We have a trip to Orlando planned this summer but I think it will our last Disney trip as a family.
EllieP is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Sounds amazing!

I'm super jealous of the Sawgrass golfing!
Old 5 Mar 20, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by yellowrose78 View Post
I'm sure it will be fab, can't wait to read it! We haven't decided but it's changed from we originally booked. Flying into Miami driving up maybe a few stops then staying in Tampa for Busch before going to Orlando. So only really the one day with a couple of stops now, no overnights at the beach. Going to be a quieter trip for us this year with only 5 park days...for now lol
Sounds like a great plan, Orlando and the parks have such a draw don't they? I can see how it's so easy to add on more park days. We really want to explore more of the Gulf Coast, we've made it as far as AMI, fell in love and haven't tried anywhere else

IG - alicialanesmith

Edited at 04:59 PM.
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 20, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by EllieP View Post
Wow, this sounds incredible. We have 2 teenage daughters (15,14) and would love to do something similar next year after the eldest has sat her GCSEs. Looking forward to reading along. We have a trip to Orlando planned this summer but I think it will our last Disney trip as a family.
Thank you for reading. I've not heard any bad reports from this part of the US so I'm hoping it lives up to my high expectations . I'm sure you and your family would love it too!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 5 Mar 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Sounds amazing!

I'm super jealous of the Sawgrass golfing!
Thanks Neil.
Oh god not another crazed golfer . I still can't get over how much one round costs, he also wants to play Harbour Town on Hilton Head so he best get saving

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 11 Mar 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thank you Rachael. I'm hoping it will be as epic as last years holiday but it's got a lot to live up to!
Jim and I can not wait to do the TWD tour, the kids not so much but we keep telling them to start watching it so they have a gist of what they're looking at
My dh and ds love TWD, so we would most definitely take a visit to Senoia, and lunch at Nick & Norms! We are fixed on similar for 2022, I don't know whether to avoid Orlando altogether and stick to the Panhandle, or fly home from Miami stopping in Orlando for 5 days at the end, but that's a lot of driving!

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
My dh and ds love TWD, so we would most definitely take a visit to Senoia, and lunch at Nick & Norms! We are fixed on similar for 2022, I don't know whether to avoid Orlando altogether and stick to the Panhandle, or fly home from Miami stopping in Orlando for 5 days at the end, but that's a lot of driving!

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!
Hey
Definitely having lunch at Nic and Norms, it's a must. We keep saying to the kids to start watching TWD otherwise they're not going to have a clue about the tour
I hope you get some ideas from our trip. We did think about ending in Orlando but are staying strong and will keep a full Florida/Orlando holiday until 2022. I'm really looking forward to visiting the Panhandle, it looks like there's loads to do plus the beaches look stunning.

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 7 Apr 20, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Hello everyone

So I wasn’t sure whether to update this report given the current circumstances we all find ourselves in BUT I figured, a) there is still a possibility we will still be going, b) even if we don’t get there this year it’s nice to have it documented as we will definitely go in 2021 and c) I’m putting off having to paint the living room ceiling so what better excuse than to write this instead

Prior to the proverbial sh*t hitting the fan in regards to Coronavirus (a word I don’t ever want to hear again once this is over!) we had taken big strides in the planning department.
We had finally settled on the 21 night itinerary and all but one accommodation had been booked, most on free cancellation thankfully.

Itinerary
After our flight lands in the afternoon of the 17th we will drive straight to Ponte Vedra beach for one night at the Hilton Garden Inn which is next to the famous Sawgrass Golf Club. We decided to cancel the Marriott as at nearly £300 a night it just wasn’t worth it as we would be arriving in the evening and leaving after Jim’s round of golf the next day so wouldn’t get the use of the facilities. The Hilton is £128 for the night so is a no brainer.

Straight after Jim’s round of golf (which better be the best damn game he’s ever played due to the obscene cost!) we will drive straight to Jekyll Island which is around a 1hr 30 min drive away.
We check into the Holiday Inn which is right on the beach so praying for dry weather. This was $210 for the night.

This little detour is after reading Amanda’s (WileyCoyote) report and seeing her photos of the island I knew we had to make it work. As we only have the night and next morning we will spend time on the beach plus visit the famous Driftwood Beach a short drive away. Jim will be playing another round of golf on the island too.

From here we again head North to Hilton Head Island but stopping for lunch and a look around Savannah first. I'm on the lookout for the Forest Gump bench!

After A LOT of searching we have finally chosen a condo in the Palmetto Dunes community of the island. This one is near the marina but not too far from the beach, there is a handy trolley bus that runs throughout the day shuttling guests back and forth. We are here for 5 nights so can unpack and relax a little. This came to £624 so fairly reasonable.

Whilst on HHI it won’t come as a shock to hear Jim will be playing yet more golf but the kids and I have looked into kayaking (me) and Paddleboarding (kids) the canal network, Jim may join us if he gets over his fear of alligators . We'll all definitely have some beach time and will also hire some bikes to explore the island. If time allows we will take a day trip up to Charleston as it looks a charming town to visit.

After our 5 nights we head further North but inland this time towards the Smoky Mountains.
As it is a 6 hour drive I have booked a one night stay at Tru by Hilton in Columbia to break up the journey. This was $119 for the night.

As this is near the Congaree National Park we will probably detour there for a few hours on the way to tick off another NP on our list.

I’m hoping we’re up early the next morning to make the 3 hour 30 min drive up to Gatlinburg and be there just after lunch.
This is the part of the holiday I’m most excited about as it’s because of wanting to visit the Smoky Mountains this whole holiday came about.
It took AGES to pick the perfect cabin. We had a couple of ‘musts’ which were a mountain view plus a hot tub on the balcony. We have booked this gem called Sugar Shack Chalet which I’m sure you’ll agree looks like heaven. It's also in a place called Cobbly Nob just outside of Gatlinburg and as we have very immature brains we had a good few laughs about this
For the 5 nights we’re here this cabin came to $923.

Our plans include hiking a few trails within the National Park itself including Hen Wallow and Rainbow Falls, cycling Cades Cove, going on a mountain coaster, visiting Dollywood, zip lining and white water rafting.

From here we start the drive back South towards Florida. We have a one night stopover in Atlanta and I have booked the Sheraton for $178 which looks to be close to the Centennial Park and World of Coca Cola. This will be a fleeting visit so will probably only have time to visit those. Would have loved to of done a Gone With the Wind tour though!

The next morning we drive just outside of the city to a town called Senoia for the very exciting Walking Dead Tour. As huge fans we’re very much looking forward to seeing some of the sets.

There is now a very long and boring 4 hour 45 min drive through Alabama until we reach our penultimate destination of the Florida panhandle. We haven’t quite booked our accommodation for here yet, but depending on how things pan out there are plenty of places to choose from so not worried. Thanks to Yorkshire T we have discounted Destin from the list and narrowed it down to the very picturesque A1A section near Santa Rosa Beach. We're hoping for a condo on the beach.

Whilst here it will be the ultimate chill and beach time, not forgetting some all important shopping trips too! There are a couple of outlets near by which will certainly be visited.
Midway through our 6 nights here, Hope and I will drive to New Orleans for our whistle stop tour of the city.
I have booked 2 hotels so far and depending on finances nearer the time it will determine which one we stay in. I’ve booked the Four Points by Sheraton for $174 and the Wyndham French Quarter for £92. If we can we’ll definitely opt for the Sheraton as it looks a more central location and has been personally recommended which I liked as it will just be the 2 of us. They both offer a valet parking service for around $30 a night which is handy as I don’t fancy trying to find somewhere to park nearby.

We will book a Voodoo Cemetery tour and if time allows I would love to go on a steamboat ride on the Mississippi. I want to hunt out some live jazz music too!

Our last night on American soil is to be in Crystal River. This is about a 5 hour drive away but leaves us a lot closer to the airport for our flight home. I’m also mildly obsessed with Manatees and the Springs are a huge feeding ground for them. Now I know that in the summer there is a lot slimmer chance to see them but I’m holding out hope we find one or two.
I’ve booked the Port Hotel & Marina for $110. It’s nothing luxurious but the location is fab.

Nearer the time I’ll be booking a boat tour or maybe hire some kayaks to go and explore. We’ll have plenty of time on travel home day to do this as our flight isn’t until 7.30pm and it’s approximately 90 minutes from where we are.
If time permits I’d like to stop at Teak Neighbourhood Grill for dinner as options at MCO are fairly limited!

So that there ends what will hopefully be an unforgettable road trip. I have all my fingers and toes crossed we get to go as my god I need this holiday after all the various Covid 19 and other stresses we’ve had this year so far and it’s only April.
For anyone else with a holiday booked I’m praying no more plans get cancelled. I know our health is ultimately the number one priority but having something to focus on and look forward to really does help get you through the low times life throws you.
Stay safe everyone xx

IG - alicialanesmith