Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Sep 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Love for your grandchildren

Forgive my upcoming waffle, I was just musing when walking one of the pups earlier.

My DD and her BF have moved in together, they're very happy and settled, so of course, the chances of grandchild/ren being in my future have increased significantly, as she had zero interest in any of that relationship / parenthood nonsense until around a year ago.

I was just thinking about how much my parents completely adored my children, they were their world. I also felt like that about my kids and just can't imagine feeling like that again about a child that's only half my daughter's if that makes sense.

DD's BF is a lovely guy, we really like him, but I don't love him, I don't have anywhere near the same feelings for him that I do for my children, so how can I love something that's 50% him in the same way?

Interested to hear from grandparents on this one... Is it different, or is it just an extension of your child regardless of the other parent?

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You will ! 😊😊
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

It is a different love, but not an extention of your child either. Its great. You get all the best bits of being a parent. Even when draughted in to help if they are stroppy, I waltz in as the voice of reason and waltz back out again! So much more enjoyable and less stressful than being a parent. What is the phrase? If I had known how great grandchildren were I wouldve had them first!?
My dgs "father" was a vile excuse of a human being. He has nothing to do with him since he was about 3 (thankfully) makes no odds at all as to how much I love my dgs
Old 4 Sep 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

OMG you will adore your Grandchildren when they come 💕💕 I can definitely see both my boys in my DGS & DGD’s, so much fun playing with them every few weeks which we look forward to so much & best bit hand them back at the end, especially when they’re hyper active from eating too much rubbish 🤣🤣🤣
My Grandson has put his order in for his favourite cookies for tomorrow
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I was just thinking about how much my parents completely adored my children, they were their world. I also felt like that about my kids and just can't imagine feeling like that again about a child that's only half my daughter's if that makes sense.

Interested to hear from grandparents on this one... Is it different, or is it just an extension of your child regardless of the other parent?
I don't think it matters much tbh.
Sometimes, with so many break-ups, and non-traditional relationships quite common, you may not even be 50% directly related to new family members.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I know you didn't mean it this way but your post is potentially pretty offensive to adoptive parents. Any suggestion that I don't love my adopted daughter as much as my birth daughter is ridiculous IMO. As for grandparents, my mother is probably closer to my adopted daughter than her other 3 granddaughters. She is autistic and is much more interested in keeping in touch with family than the other 3 "typical" teenagers. She had even become close friends on Facebook with my Dad's cousin that she has never met. No one considers her less a part of the family but she doesn't share our genes. After all we aren't genetically related to our spouses either (hopefully!).
Old 4 Sep 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

You just melt when your Grandchildren are born, I can't say it's ever crossed my mind that they were only half of my son's. My first one was a girl and after having 3 sons, her birth was just the best thing ever..I love my daughter in laws now like they were my own daughters, I know we're lucky as that's not always the case.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I adore my grandskids and step great grandson with our grandkids it probably helps that all 4 have so much of their Dads in them at times much to the kids mothers annoyance and as for our step grandson it’s a very very special relationship he is besotted with my son and and my husband even though he has a multitude of grandparents great grandparent and a great great grandparent
Just ask any grandparent who is denied contact with a grandchild if they love them as much as there’s own kids you would be surprised I’m sure about there answers
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Like Scotsmomma it never entered my mind that they were only half blood related through my son. Does’nt matter a jot and like DonnaD says adopted children are loved just the same.

I have looked after my grandchildren since they were babies for 3 or 4 full days a week (depending on shifts) and I love them just as much as my own children no question. I think if you do have grandchildren in due course you will realise they are little individuals in their own right and none of your worries are relevant.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

My mum always says she waited her whole life to become a nanny... not sure what that says about her children 😂😂