Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Sep 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

And so we try again... booked!

March 2020 USA booked , cancelled and refunded.
Aug 2020 USA booked, cancelled and refunded.

Don’t even get me started on the Icelandic Volcano or the Egyptian Aircraft bombing.. they were cancelled also. I am beginning to feel like the unsinkable Molly Brown.

I have waited patiently as BA (an Airline I trust more than some others as the refunded me in 8 days), have released their flights on their site at 355 days (does everyone know that?). Today they released 3 Sept 2021 and it was time to take a punt.

I purchased LHR-SFO on 18 Aug and LAS-LHR for 02 Sept 2021, 3 adults and a 15 yr old at £2112 all in. That includes hold baggage, free seat selection at 24 hrs out, etc. A bit of a bargain, judging by my research over the past few months. You can also move dates for free, etc etc. They are pretty well protected.

I now have to plan my route, but it will be via nights in ...

SFO (2). Love tour, Ghost Hunt and a bit of Cycling.
Monterey (2) Whales and Aquarium.
San Simeon (1) Hearst Castle.
Solvang (1).
Hollywood (2) Universal and Warner Bros
Tucson (3) for AMARC and Tombstone.
Winslow .. to stand on a corner and see a girl my lord on a flatbed ford.
Grand Canyon South Rim for Sunset (1)
Las Vegas (2). Heart attack grill, Pawn Stars and the strip.

Let the planning commence!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:40 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

Sounds fabulous. Having done a number of road trips, I know how much time and effort goes in to the planning, so fingers crossed this one comes to fruition! Enjoy your planning.
Old 14 Sep 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tweety-pie
Imagineer

tweety-pie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We booked our flights for next May with BA last week, it was so nice to have something to plan! We’ve been twice before, 2017 was PCH, San Francisco, Yosemite, Death Valley and Vegas. 2019 was LA, Bryce Canyon and Page, Vegas (just got to!) and Palm Springs. This time we are heading to Sedona and Phoenix area, we have to make a plan!

We are in Cornwall too...Bodmin Moor On our first trip to California we did a detour up to Grass Valley which is twinned with Bodmin, it’s somewhere a lot of Cornish went to for mining back in the day! We had a pasty from a lovely bakery, pasties are very popular there! They had photos of some of our fishing villages on the walls, we had a chat to the girl working in there!

Happy panning for your trip and fingers crossed that it can all go ahead!
Old 14 Sep 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
You're brave. We would have been due to fly home from Seattle tomorrow after 3 weeks in California & Oregon. We really want to book the same trip again (not just because we have about $1200 tied up with Alaska airlines and Go LA card).

If not for Covid, our trip would have been ruined anyway by the wildfires and the Portland rioting. We're now thinking to try a different time of year due to the fires but can't work out when.
Old 14 Sep 20, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Good price hope you,Mandy and the boys get away this time. We are still booked for June next year but it’s a fingers crossed booking. Take care and stay safe.
tapley is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by tweety-pie View Post
We booked our flights for next May with BA last week, it was so nice to have something to plan! We’ve been twice before, 2017 was PCH, San Francisco, Yosemite, Death Valley and Vegas. 2019 was LA, Bryce Canyon and Page, Vegas (just got to!) and Palm Springs. This time we are heading to Sedona and Phoenix area, we have to make a plan!

We are in Cornwall too...Bodmin Moor On our first trip to California we did a detour up to Grass Valley which is twinned with Bodmin, it’s somewhere a lot of Cornish went to for mining back in the day! We had a pasty from a lovely bakery, pasties are very popular there! They had photos of some of our fishing villages on the walls, we had a chat to the girl working in there!

Happy panning for your trip and fingers crossed that it can all go ahead!
Nice to see fellow Cornwall dwellers. I must come up your way soon.. when Bodmin Gaol is completed.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Today they released 3 Sept 2021 and it was time to take a punt.

I purchased LHR-SFO on 18 Aug and LAS-LHR for 02 Aug 2021,
Struggling to understand those dates somewhat - you seem to be flying home before you go!

We absolutely loved Solvang on our West Coast trip. It was only really booked as a place to stop, eat and sleep on our way down the PCH, but it was a real treat - we'll stay a bit longer next time.

In case it helps, we stayed here and I'd return there any time - it's a big apartment, essentially, in what I think was a Wyndham timeshare resort. It's a short walk to the town centre shops and restaurants and has a great communal pool we had all to ourselves - airbnb/rooms/21754...Jb li96oJRNnB

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another vote for Solvang we only stopped for cake in their lovely bakeries enroute down the pch1. I'm waiting for october 2021 flights to come out so we can book another road trip. Happy planning 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
tweety-pie
Imagineer

tweety-pie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Nice to see fellow Cornwall dwellers. I must come up your way soon.. when Bodmin Gaol is completed.
It looks like it’s going to be nice - it needed something doing to it! Had a meal there before they closed for renovations and was very disappointed, so hopefully the new ‘Jolly Hangman Tavern’ will be better! (opening 1st October allegedly)
Old 14 Sep 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Struggling to understand those dates somewhat - you seem to be flying home before you go!

We absolutely loved Solvang on our West Coast trip. It was only really booked as a place to stop, eat and sleep on our way down the PCH, but it was a real treat - we'll stay a bit longer next time.

In case it helps, we stayed here and I'd return there any time - it's a big apartment, essentially, in what I think was a Wyndham timeshare resort. It's a short walk to the town centre shops and restaurants and has a great communal pool we had all to ourselves - airbnb/rooms/21754...Jb li96oJRNnB
Thankyou for that! I have amended the post and it now hopefully makes sense! 😀