Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Sep 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
It is being featured on BBC Watchdog now.
Are they talking about Avanti? If so that’s good news, shows the british public won’t put up with this kind of treatment.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Nobody other than law enforcement officials can legally detain you in any country. Whether the law allows for such detention may vary by country (I would think not in most cases). Whether hotels might try to do it is another matter, as has been seen in Tunisia and Cuba. As I said, on one level it’s understandable, even if not the way to go about it. The reality of in-house guests on unprotected (non-ATOL) bookings is that they are likely to be charged directly.

I was answering the question about people being charged on cards after checkout. I did mistakenly think you were impacted, but nevertheless, my answer stands for those who were.
Not true, the military can detain you at any time they choose under certain conditions and on certain premises you consent to being detained by their security teams just by being there.

Equally law enforcement (in the UK at least) cannot detain anyone against their wishes unless they arrest them
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
Imagineer

Mobile

For any future Avanti guests - we checked in yesterday and they have been brilliant with us so far. Communication before we arrived was great. They allowed a reduced room rate compared with what the current booking rate would be and cancelled the resort fees for our stay.
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by twogoto View Post
For any future Avanti guests - we checked in yesterday and they have been brilliant with us so far. Communication before we arrived was great. They allowed a reduced room rate compared with what the current booking rate would be and cancelled the resort fees for our stay.
I wonder if this is in response to the media
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 04:08 AM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

This has been issued by The Avanti International Resort

Thank you for your comments and support of those that have been negatively affected by the Thomas Cook insolvency. We want to advise you that we have issued credits to all of those involved. We want to be clear that our resort will not be reimbursed for the services rendered for any guests that have previously stayed prior to the September 23, 2019 insolvency of which Thomas Cook had failed to pay us. This has been made clear to us in writing by the CAA & ATT.

We apologize for any misconception as to what seemed to be a harsh reaction as it was not our intent. We remain grateful and appreciative of all our UK guests and hope that this message is received with all its sincerity in which it is written.

Sincerely & respectfully,
Management & Staff
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by anneeb View Post
This has been issued by The Avanti International Resort

Thank you for your comments and support of those that have been negatively affected by the Thomas Cook insolvency. We want to advise you that we have issued credits to all of those involved. We want to be clear that our resort will not be reimbursed for the services rendered for any guests that have previously stayed prior to the September 23, 2019 insolvency of which Thomas Cook had failed to pay us. This has been made clear to us in writing by the CAA & ATT.

We apologize for any misconception as to what seemed to be a harsh reaction as it was not our intent. We remain grateful and appreciative of all our UK guests and hope that this message is received with all its sincerity in which it is written.

Sincerely & respectfully,
Management & Staff

I notice that they don't seem to be apologising for taking people's money from their credit card account without agreement from the holder. They only appear to be apologising for any "misconception" people may have had. I wonder what they thought their intent was in taking this money and why they thought there wouldn't be an understandably harsh reaction?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 01:30 PM. Reason: removed the mention of it being "unlawful"
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I notice that they don't seem to be apologising for taking people's money from their credit card account without agreement from the holder (which, I believe, is unlawful). They only appear to be apologising for any "misconception" people may have had. I wonder what they thought their intent was in taking this money and why they thought there wouldn't be an understandably harsh reaction?
I am 100% sure the act of checking in with a credit card is seen in law as the permission by the card holder to allow the business to charge any outstanding amount to it.

What isn't clear is whether or not they were allowed to charge for the portion TC should have paid, however the actual charging the card was not unlawful, it may have been in error but it was totally legal
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I am 100% sure the act of checking in with a credit card is seen in law as the permission by the card holder to allow the business to charge any outstanding amount to it.

What isn't clear is whether or not they were allowed to charge for the portion TC should have paid, however the actual charging the card was not unlawful, it may have been in error but it was totally legal
Thanks for the clarification. I have removed the bit in brackets in my original post.

Although lawful, I'm sure the card holders were not aware that they would be charged (again) for this. Avanti don't appear to be apologising for their actions - only for people's misconception - and do not think their reaction was harsh.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

New info on watchdog- it is fraud under the consumer credit act article 25 to take money from a debit/credit card after you’ve checked out and you should be contacting your bank ASAP!

They say Orlando has been one of the most affected places over this.

Edited at 08:25 PM.
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

They also say the CAA have been calling all 3000+ hotels that Thomas cook supplied to to explain the process for them, so Avanti really have no excuse!

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019