Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 4 Dec 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Can someone with the knowledge tell me how raw untreated beef and pork bought at one supermarket have less flavour than the same bought at another supermarket?

Is it to do with what the animals are fed?
I would like to,know the answer too.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I am really not a fan of Aldi either. I do buy some items but I no longer buy the meat after the incident when I sliced in to a chicken to find the meat bright green. ( due to too much growth hormone injected in to it) I was throwing away too much fruit and veg, the mackerel was hit and miss too. I have been buying my meat for the month from Bury Market and it is cheaper and far tastier and leaner. I do buy some non perishables from Aldi and fruit/ veg from Morrison’s. I do think with Aldi that some areas branches are better than others.
I really don’t like Lidl. I actually find it more expensive than Morrison’s and the branch near us is a bit scruffy.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

I do buy my non-perishables from Aldi from time to time. When I go, I'll get a day or two worth of fruit and veg (it doesn't last more than a day or two). We do prefer the price savings from Aldi, but we have found we cannnot rely on it for our regular food shop.
Old 4 Dec 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Can someone with the knowledge tell me how raw untreated beef and pork bought at one supermarket have less flavour than the same bought at another supermarket?

Is it to do with what the animals are fed?
Not 100% but I think it’s a combination of things such as what the animal is fed, how the meat is treated once cut off, amount of fat in it, and the way it’s stored too, if it’s organic and the age of the animal when it went to slaughter. The last one can make a big difference in terms of toughness.

I do notice a difference when my mum cooks a roast beef, weather she got the meat from Tesco or Waitrose/local farm.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I am really not a fan of Aldi either. I do buy some items but I no longer buy the meat after the incident when I sliced in to a chicken to find the meat bright green. ( due to too much growth hormone injected in to it) I was throwing away too much fruit and veg, the mackerel was hit and miss too. I have been buying my meat for the month from Bury Market and it is cheaper and far tastier and leaner. I do buy some non perishables from Aldi and fruit/ veg from Morrison’s. I do think with Aldi that some areas branches are better than others.
I really don’t like Lidl. I actually find it more expensive than Morrison’s and the branch near us is a bit scruffy.
I had that with a chicken from Asda. It’s the chickens gall bladder that hadn’t been removed.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

I use so many supermarkets but prefer my meats from m & s, Waitrose and ALDI. I think the meat from those shops are far better than Asda/Tesco/Sainsbury’s. I like the fact that all the meat in Aldi is British as we have higher welfare standards than some other countries and I think it’s better for the environment not to ship food overseas if it can be readily produced here.
Cant say I’ve ever had tasteless meat from Aldi
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
No issue at all with Aldi or Lidl produce - really like their fish especially. Never found any of their produce tasteless or disgusting. I shop at Aldi, Lidl and Waitrose.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I really like Aldi. The only reason I don’t use it more often is I like grocery delivery.

We can get pretty a full shop from Aldi and I’ve never found anything to be tasteless Or noticed that the fruit / veg goes off quickly.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 19, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

I'm an Aldi shopper mostly switched purely on cost with one wage coming in. There's a few items I won't buy but not many. Never had an issue with the meat or fish. A relative worked at a meat processing place last year. All the meat that came in to be slaughtered and processed was the same and was destined for Waitrose Tesco and Aldi as well as other supermarkets. Whenever I end up in Tesco nowadays I'm shocked by how little I have for my money.
Old 7 Dec 19, 01:30 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyF1rstT1me
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
Not 100% but I think it’s a combination of things such as what the animal is fed, how the meat is treated once cut off, amount of fat in it, and the way it’s stored too, if it’s organic and the age of the animal when it went to slaughter. The last one can make a big difference in terms of toughness.

I do notice a difference when my mum cooks a roast beef, weather she got the meat from Tesco or Waitrose/local farm.
And I think also over-feeding animals to get them big/fat enough for slaughter quicker means they have less flavour. I'm sure I've read that about steak and turkey so it makes sense for other meats too.
DisneyF1rstT1me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List