Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 9 Dec 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

People who say ooh I shouldn't (ie to cake/desserts/food) well don't then. Either have it and enjoy it or don't. And yes that's MIL I'm talking about on a diet for 30 years and never got any smaller... its boring for the ret of us. Don't lecture, do what you would like and let us do what we would like!
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Giving gifts to and pretending that you like people that in reality you have no time for in order to satisfy work, family or social protocol.

If I had no time for a person before Christmas, then it is for sure that I will have no time during or after.

I absolutely love Christmas, by the way.. (other than I work to a rigid 24 hr shift pattern). I am on a rest day on the 24th and 25th this year.. (yippee).
Oh my gosh- you took the words right out of my mouth! This social hypocrisy really winds me up and I cannot be doing with it anymore. But I do love Christmas, spending it with people I genuinely care about
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Buying presents for family members you never see... at the end of the day you’re all just exchanging £10 notes in the form of token gifts!
Not much else though I’m a big Christmas fan !
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
Losing the bag of blooming tinsel and other bits and pieces that your forgot to take down the year before, its always put somewhere "safe" which is usually somewhere stupid🤦

People claiming they're "donating to charity" instead of Christmas cards. Why? You can donate all year round, so just send a card and bring a smile to someone's face, who you actually know. Charity begins at home IMO. ESP in the world we live in now where it's all doom and gloom.
This is interesting as this year I have decided not to send Christmas cards out and donate to money to the homeless (I also donate monthly to the Huntingtons Disease Association) but I then had the dilemma of how do I tell people that I haven't forgotten them but giving to charity instead, do I email or do I text, however in the end I decided I would call them all and have a chat ( neighbours I will see during the next feet weeks anyway) and started the process last week and I have to say it's been brilliant catching up with people who I hadn't spoken to in months and in some occasions years... You're right about the value of a card and how it can cheer people up but from now on my aim is to talk more to people, that simple phone call has really cheered me and people up ( well apart from one friend who jokingly told me to f off has my football team had recently beat his! ) so from now on that's what I'm going to do

Edited at 10:35 AM.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Gridlock with the whole population of Essex trying to park in Chelmsford city centre to go shopping.

Taking down and packing away the decorations after NY

Waiting for my brother to decide when he’s having his family (and me) round to his. Typical man he leaves it to the last minute 🤬.

This year though his son has taken charge and organised it around his own work shifts. Perhaps he will arrange sausage rolls too, DBro is usually getting them out of the freezer as we arrive !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by coggie View Post
This is interesting as this year I have decided not to send Christmas cards out and donate to money to the homeless (I also donate monthly to the Huntingtons Disease Association) but I then had the dilemma of how do I tell people that I haven't forgotten them but giving to charity instead, do I email or do I text, however in the end I decided I would call them all and have a chat ( neighbours I will see during the next feet weeks anyway) and started the process last week and I have to say it's been brilliant catching up with people who I hadn't spoken to in months and in some occasions years... You're right about the value of a card and how it can cheer people up but from now on my aim is to talk more to people, that simple phone call has really cheered me and people up ( well apart from one friend who jokingly told me to f off has my football team had recently beat his! ) so from now on that's what I'm going to do
What a good idea, think I’ll do the same. Ill ring you on Monday after Everton beat United - again
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Almost everything! Certainly all of the above. I didn't used to be like this but the last few years have been ruined by the stress of preparing, present buying, food preparation, buying and cooking, duty visits and so on. It's all too 'In your face' for too long. I will put up some decorations or my DDs would never forgive me but that's all.
Old 11 Dec 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

For a few christmases we went away to the lake district and spent the festive season in a hotel. It was so relaxing and I would seriously recommend it.
Old 11 Dec 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
For a few christmases we went away to the lake district and spent the festive season in a hotel. It was so relaxing and I would seriously recommend it.
That is something I would really really like to do but DH refuses.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
That is something I would really really like to do but DH refuses.

Its not cheap but we loved the fact that our time was our own - which sounds selfish- but the following year the in laws came with us and we still had an amazing time !