Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 1 Jan 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Bay Lake Tower Mini Review

Review of Bay Lake Tower. As 99% of people will stay as DVC thought it better to post on DVC forum.

Having checked out of Beach Club (mini review to follow) I arrived at BLT early -9 am- to try and secure a good room.

I was delighted to be met by a helpful cast member who got me a much lauded partial lake/ partial MK view. The view was stunning, even if we didn’t get to enjoy it, but more on that later.

The family came over about 10am and it was a nice morning so we spent it around the BLT pool, and looking around the resort and the Contemporary- not expecting the room until 4. A selection of photos taken that morning:

We were impressed with the resort and very much looking forward to checking in at 4 and then heading for Hollywood Studios.

This is where it went horribly wrong. I won’t go into all the details as we received adequate compensation for a ruined night, but after the room only becoming available after 7pm it turned out to be totally uninhabitable. It was basically operational failure, the room was really out of inventory.

Finally we were moved to the other side of the building, losing the breathtaking view but at least getting an habitable room. Mrs YT had to stay in and unpack, I took the kids to the parks for an hour. I won’t complain too much though as Disney did put it right for us and management were excellent from that point.

The view was still good:

We got our 1 bed which was lovely, much larger than it appears on any YouTube videos. Apart from a bit of a stain on the couch, the room was in 100% condition and beautiful and huge. It made the Beach Club 1 bed seem small by comparison. I’d say it’s the best 1 bed we have stayed in by some margin.

Onto the resort itself. Well obviously the walk to MK is a big plus. Unbeatable for visiting MK.

The architecture is what it is. It complements Contemporary very nicely, if you look you can see how they have matched the paneling etc. My wife dislikes the Contemporary look, I tell her it is a classic 1970s building which was never done before- the rooms manufactured off site by American Steel, and slotted into an A frame. She has a point though when she says the back of Contemporary with its larged paved areas resembles something out of the Soviet area! BLT itself is visually more appealing.

The location on Bay Lake is lovely. A must do is renting a boat from the dock. With DVC discount it cost me $67 for an hour, and surprisingly they let us take the boat (seated 10, plush seats and stereo system etc) onto Seven Seas Lagoon and cruise around in front of the Magic Kingdom, Grand Floridian etc. Great photo and video opportunity and we had never driven a boat before.

Really liked the resort. Aside from the huge positives of the room and location, it’s great having the Contemporary over the walkway. I posted a Wave review separately and Contempo Cafe, the quick serve, whilst a bit slow, turned out surprisingly tasty food.

As for Top of the World Lounge- see my video, that was great and the food and drinks there are decent and not bad value. A great facility.

The hotel also had lots to do. My wife and I enjoyed the free training session and yoga, and used the running track a few times. 3 times around that was a good way to get going on a morning- about 4.5k. I also went in the gym in the Contemporary which was OK but not one of the best.

My son and I enjoyed the pool tables- one behind BLT but we used the one by the boat dock the most.

Pools were nice, BLT guests can use the Contemporary pools- BLT loses the sun in winter around the pools in the afternoon as the building shields the sun from the pool area.

Overall we all loved BLT. It is a very different feel and vibe to the other resorts and doesn’t have the same whimsical theming of many, but it has many positive points and we would all be happy to stay again.

Finally a few more photos:

Edited at 04:13 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
YT. A good review, well done

It amazes me that they haven't built another 'BLT' on the other side of the Contemporary. It would give the complex balance and would also provide DVC with a huge sales opportunity. Maybe in time?

On to your photos, very good I must say. We love the Contemporary and are there a few times every week. We much prefer it to the Grand Floridian.

To your room fiasco. Not good enough. I blame the Housekeeping Supervisors. They are paid a higher wage and should be keeping on top of their staff and inspecting the rooms. They aren't as we all know so why employ them?

At the very minimum I would want my Points back for 2 nights for that issue. Good job Pete Werner didn't spot the sofa.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
YT,

A shame about the room issue, but glad you got a resolution you were happy with. BLT is our home so glad you enjoyed the resort
Lizzim is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It is a lovely resort. We will have to try. 1 bed as we found the studio too small for 4 but I’ve heard good things about the 1 beds.

I’m shocked to hear you had to wait until 7 and then to get a bad room is appalling. I find the wait until 4 frustrating. Much after that and I would have been getting very upset. I’m pleased they resolved it to your satisfaction though.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
It is a lovely resort. We will have to try. 1 bed as we found the studio too small for 4 but I’ve heard good things about the 1 beds.

I’m shocked to hear you had to wait until 7 and then to get a bad room is appalling. I find the wait until 4 frustrating. Much after that and I would have been getting very upset. I’m pleased they resolved it to your satisfaction though.
Yes Bev maybe I should have pushed for more, but we got unlimited fastpass for all parks all trip, and a good credit so I was fairly happy but it should never have happened.

The 1 beds here are epic, strange how they built it with the worst studios and best 1 beds size wise.
Old 1 Jan 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
YT,

A shame about the room issue, but glad you got a resolution you were happy with. BLT is our home so glad you enjoyed the resort
It’s one of my favourite resorts and a very good choice for home resort as it’s quite pricey points wise so access to those standard view is an excellent option.
Old 1 Jan 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Glad the difficulties were resolved to your satisfaction, although obviously shouldn't happen at all!.
We stayed in a 2 bed at blt for the first time in September, as Dorian was about to hit,the staff were great and we loved the room,had a great view of the monorail and the castle in the distance.Would definitely stay again although agree with your wife about the theming!
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
It’s one of my favourite resorts and a very good choice for home resort as it’s quite pricey points wise so access to those standard view is an excellent option.
Yeah, we actually picked it because I love the Magic Kingdom and the ability to walk there is soooooo amazing (whilst I love the ferry and the monorail there is no better feeling than walking home after the fireworks).
Lizzim is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
Yeah, we actually picked it because I love the Magic Kingdom and the ability to walk there is soooooo amazing (whilst I love the ferry and the monorail there is no better feeling than walking home after the fireworks).
Yes of course, the resort has many benefits but that is number 1. Love it. Anyone on the fence about the theming, just book it is my advice as it’s great.
Old 1 Jan 20, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

We went to TOTW in December on a Wednesday night - party night. We were staying offsite but the host allowed us up the lounge, which was a real bonus.

Loved the atmosphere up there, liked the view so much we actually managed to book a studio for May while in the lounge on my phone.

Really looking forward to sitting on the balcony and having fizz/sushi room picnic.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List