Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jan 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Anyone camped in Yosemite ?

So in very early planning days
Trying to manage a budget
Even the fixed tents at Curry Village are $200 a night ! ( August)

Has anyone successfully booked a tent using here at 7am Pacific time on the relevant 15th of the month ? $26 a night and buying a tent over there seems more feasible

nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Or managed to get a ' camping without a reservation ' spot like here , on the day ?

nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nrcamping.htm
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 10:43 AM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

All I can think is...

BEARS!

We found Yosemite accommodation pricey but I couldn’t have considered a tent, there. Hope others come and tell me how wrong I am though
Old 19 Jan 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Generally all the bears are tagged so they know where they are. All food must be kept in the heavy metal bins provided to keep bears away from tents and cars , if left in cars the bears can rip doors open. I would have stayed in the tents but wife would not so we stayed in a fantastic bb the blue butterfly
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

My sister camped in Yosemite for the solar eclipse

They took a tent with them for the two of them - obviaouly a small one!

Edited at 07:14 PM.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

On bears - having questioned her further - yes there is a threat of bears

Advice is - You can’t keep food or anything in your tent. You also need to wear clean clothes to sleep in that you haven’t been eg cooking in. If there is a known bear around they close some of the tent site areas.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

Make sure it's a site with bear lockers, we were there in September and the guy at housekeeping reception said the bears were stealing cannisters as they'd worked out how to break them open.
We stayed at housekeeping In September for £120ish a night and it wasn't glamping in the slightest, we'd camp if we ever went again, although the nights and mornings were cold so even our good branded 2-3 season sleeping bags struggled, fleeces etc were on.
It's worth thinking about the nights your staying Vs the luggage space impact or cost of buying equipment when you get there. They also tend to use small tents over there and we didn't see many with full waterproof sheets, just fly screens and a topper
Edit:reckon you'd need hard ground pegs too

Edited at 03:01 PM.
fiona88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I remember looking at this as an option and pretty much in August you've got next to no chance of on the day, best to book in advance or have a backup you can cancel
Old 26 Jan 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fiona88 View Post
Make sure it's a site with bear lockers, we were there in September and the guy at housekeeping reception said the bears were stealing cannisters as they'd worked out how to break them open.
We stayed at housekeeping In September for £120ish a night and it wasn't glamping in the slightest, we'd camp if we ever went again, although the nights and mornings were cold so even our good branded 2-3 season sleeping bags struggled, fleeces etc were on.
It's worth thinking about the nights your staying Vs the luggage space impact or cost of buying equipment when you get there. They also tend to use small tents over there and we didn't see many with full waterproof sheets, just fly screens and a topper
Edit:reckon you'd need hard ground pegs too
Thanks so much for this Fiona. My alternative to camping was Curry camp at $200 a night , which I thought was the most basic / cheapest thing available
Looking at housekeeping camp , that works out at $122 a night , much more manageable and as you say avoids all the paraphernalia
You can seemingly hire blankets , pillows etc but will see what else we plan on the trip to see if it's worth buying something over there
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
balel
Excited about Disney

I’ve just looked back on my posts and found our trip to Housekeeping Camp 5 years ago... we paid $370 for 3 nights.
The 'tents' (3 walls, a 4th canvas wall/door and a canvas roof) have a bunk bed and a double bed, with an outside, covered private living space with picnic table, fire pit and bear safe. Unlike the Americans who could obviously bring supplies from home (think fridges, stoves, bbqs etc) we had nothing but some of my favourite meals of the trip were cooked on our fire pit, steak, pulled pork etc.
There was a bear in camp very early one morning, fishing in the river. He’d gone before we were up though the rangers were still there.
It was a fabulous experience, the highlight of our trip, I’d really recommend it!
balel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Cheers Balel
When did you go ? Was it warm ?
Just slightly concerned about the previous post and it being really cold .
We don’t camp in the Uk but hoping it would be a positive fun experience not a chilly disaster .
Is a fire pit similar to a barbecue ?