Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 27 May 17, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

That makes more sense, if there's more films coming and that Disney are involved in them. I just really couldn't work out why a film that was successful a few years ago and not a Disney film, was getting so much from a Disney park. Def makes more sense if they're making more out of it though.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 17, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally the Avatar sequels were expected earlier than they're now planned so presumably Disney anticipated more exposure. Whether you like the film or not the special effects were amazing and the film is visually stunning so I can see the reasoning.

Edited at 07:58 AM.
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 17, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

It's not that I don't like the film, it just seemed random to me. There's been loads of huge films that Disney haven't made, I just wondered why this one had been chosen to introduce into Disney. I know it was high grossing, but it's not really current now, but it makes sense if there'll be more films.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 17, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
It's not that I don't like the film, it just seemed random to me. There's been loads of huge films that Disney haven't made, I just wondered why this one had been chosen to introduce into Disney. I know it was high grossing, but it's not really current now, but it makes sense if there'll be more films.
I think it was current when the plans were made though. It's just taken that long to build!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
razorsharp192
Proud to wear my Ears

I thought the same when I heard they were opening an Avatar land, seemed an odd choice since the film is relatively old now, and to be honest I don't know what all the hype of the film was for, it was just an "ok" film with lots of cgi. There's far better films which they could have based a land on. They could even have just copied Cars Land from Disneyland as that's really well done.

Edited at 09:41 PM.
razorsharp192 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 17, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
a11mark
Imagineer

a11mark's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
That makes more sense, if there's more films coming and that Disney are involved in them. I just really couldn't work out why a film that was successful a few years ago and not a Disney film, was getting so much from a Disney park. Def makes more sense if they're making more out of it though.
I think there's 4 more films to come.

Originally Posted by sha9
Originally the Avatar sequels were expected earlier than they're now planned so presumably Disney anticipated more exposure. Whether you pike the film or not the special effects were amazing and the film is visually stunning so I can see the reasoning.
Rumour had it that the 2nd film was supposed to be out at the same time as Avatar-land opened, before the films started to get pushed back.
Old 28 May 17, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Rachie76
Proud to wear my Ears

Joe Rohde (Disney creative genius) made a great video a couple of months ago talking about exactly this - 'why Avatar?'

It's worth a watch.

Edited at 08:13 AM.
Rachie76 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 17, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I get it's about eco systems, saving life forms , environments so it really does fit well within the AK umberella. As Jc says visiting pandora will give people a thirst for another film which no doubt will appear soon. Every review or person I've spoken to who have already been are absolutely mind blown by it. Two hasn't even seen avatar so it says a lot about the whole concept and choice I think and just how brilliant imagineers actually are.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 17, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Rachie76 View Post
Joe Rohde (Disney creative genius) made a great video a couple of months ago talking about exactly this - 'why Avatar?'

It's worth a watch.
He is so passionate isnt he. brilliant execution of an idea I think.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 17, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Originally Posted by razorsharp192 View Post
I thought the same when I heard they were opening an Avatar land, seemed an odd choice since the film is relatively old now, and to be honest I don't know what all the hype of the film was for, it was just an "ok" film with lots of cgi. There's far better films which they could have based a land on. They could even have just copied Cars Land from Disneyland as that's really well done.
You could argue that about a lot of Disney rides though, films that came out in the 1940s/1950s were turned into attractions when WDW was first built, and people still enjoy them to this day. Even Splash has legions of fans and that was built on the theming of a (at the time) 45 year old film that some would argue is racist

I think they knew they needed desperately to expand the number of rides at AK, and it fitted the mythical part that was never really built (and Disney lost a lot of original plans when some of the imagineers that were laid off when AK opened took their ideas over to IOA when it was built) and I can't think of a more suitable or popular film that they could have chosen for the overall nature/mythical theming

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015
stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List