Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Jan 20, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
For what it’s worth I think you’ve made the right decision. If you aren’t familiar with either airport nor the M25 I think you might find the whole process of getting from A to B quite stressful. Especially with all your luggage.

I worked in London and used both those airports for nearly 40 years but I wouldn’t want to do the journey from LHR to LGW unless absolutely necessary, and then I’d stay overnight at an airport hotel,
I live somewhere between the two airports, I would be another one who would want to travel down to Heathrow the night before, get the coach, have a snooze at Gatwick and pick up the flight the next day, (we did the same for Dublin)
The issues being the methods of connecting - trains through London - erg - takes about 2 hours or something!
Or getting round the m25/m23 - I’ve done that journey - took about 1.5 hours at 4ish after a course! But I’ve also sat for 45 mins trying to get from junction 8 for Reigate to junction 7 for the m23 (to go past to be fair) the only way to get through smoothly is to get our of Heathrow before like 7am or after about 9pm!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Flowertot
Apprentice Imagineer

Flowertot's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

We have done this many times. Booked a taxi called BA transfers (not related to BA) they collect you and drop you off. Never had an issue with timings although this year we did purchase fast track for Gatwick as we were meeting friends. Would do it again as prices were much cheaper
Flowertot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

We looked at this too. I didn’t mind booking indirect but I didn’t want the hassle of changing airports. Weirdly, I couldn’t get as good as a price direct from London as I’d considered just getting the train down. In the end we’ve booked Glasgow- Sanford direct.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
M25 can, I understand, be unpredictable.

Congratulations, you have won the 'Understatement of 2020' award on the first day available

I'd agree with the poster recommending a transfer to Gatwick and an overnight stay.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
lawford
VIP Dibber

We did it 2 years ago using National express, we allowed 3 hours and just made it as our Orlando flight was delayed. The problem was that the National express bus was late by 40 minutes due to delays around the airport, then delays on the M25. Too stressful! This year we are flying into Miami from Heathrow. I would book a private transfer if I had to switch airports again.
lawford is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I've done this quite a few times now.

We always get a taxi. £50ish each way.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

the reason weve never done BA from newcastle

far too much hassle to tx between heathrow & gatwick.. anxiety on going and couldnt be bothered on the way back... price would have to crazy cheap to even consider it
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

It's a ballache at the best of times, even with everything in your favour. But factoring in the M25 gives it a whole new dimension! I live an hour ish from heathrow but have booked a hotel for the night before as it really is anyone's guess if the roads are going to be clear...
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I live 59 miles from Gatwick and we still do a overnight stay,it's just not worth the risk, particularly as I know someone who missed her flight due to a fatal accident on the M25.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

If we could of got the price we paid for august 19 for this year we would of done it thou
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List