Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Jan 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
For those thinking of using Avis

They tried to lie to me twice at the rental desk.

They tried to supply a vehicle that didnt even exist twice.

They left us waiting 90 mins at Miami airport

On return they lied about the fuel and the mileage of the car.

Apart from that that...stellar service.

Go with Alamo, even if slightly more expensive. They are not perfect but light years ahead of most of the others.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I've used Avis a few times now.

I have found their desk agents to be VERY RUDE at MCO.
At Miami, they just didn't seem to care? Barely even looked up at us.

We have not had any issues post Dec trip on our two hires with Avis, but I am watching for it as I was warned.

Tbh, I would always go for Alamo now. Much better service.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
cra1gyp
Apprentice Imagineer

We have used Avis for years from mco and Miami and never had any issues with the staff or service, maybe we’ve just been lucky. Hopefully our May trip will be fine.
cra1gyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
none of them are perfect, they just want our money, they don't really care about customer service.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

I am firmly of the opinion that they are all terrible, so I will go with the cheapest one with a skip-the-counter option.
Old 21 Jan 20, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
Wow, Im not surprised to hear this. Avis at Miami tried to 'scare' us into buying extra insurance and then when we continued to refuse, she said we had it already! The first car they gave us was below the standard we'd booked and it STANK of weed. Took 2 hours to get a car, awful.

Brought it back full, then got a letter in the post saying they'd charge $67 to top up fuel! I telephoned them and they refunded it over the phone.

I only ever used Avis once before in Vegas, awful, awful staff.

I've been put off for life now!

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We have been using Avis for a few years now in both Orlando and Miami and we have never had any problems. I’m sure things arise with all companies at some point or other, whole ever they may be.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Used Avis 4 times in last 5 years.

SFO pick up - 2015 - service was excellent - that trip I had to return a car - faulty 12v socket, and then another when service light came on, 1 return at SFO and one at Palm Springs - LAX dropoff - excellent service everywhere.

LAX Pickup/Drop Off - 2016 - again excellent service everywhere

MCO - 2017 - 2 x 1 week rentals - week 1 Tahoe - arrived - did not have any vehicles in that class - I walked the garage and it was true (on reflection should have walked the Budget garage). Staff not really interested. Accepted 7 seater - they told us to wait on bench and they would bring car round - 20 mins later - I was back in line asking where car was - they forgot and gave me keys.
Next day phoned Avis to see if I could change vehicle to class booked - no - got paltry partial refund - called BA when I got home and got proper refund and compensation.
Week 2 - 7 seater booked - asked to keep the one we had - was told no - went back to MCO - got a pretty beat up duster - and when I returned the girl said I was being charged for damage - until I showed her my pickup photos - would not listen that I had full CDW & Insurance. EXperience not good.

2018 - Baltimore pickup & dropoff - excellent service - same when I went with slow puncture to get fixed somewhere in Mass.

2019 - had to cancel my booking and forgot about 20% loss with BA. Main reason I am now booked for this year with Andy at DFCH - Alamo.

I'd use Avis again if the price was right, but maybe not at MCO.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Another one that have used Avis for years without any issues.
By tge sounds of it,myiu didn’t use Avis preferred, but went to the main in airport desks?
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

Always had great service from avis at Mco
Orlandoguy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List