Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 21 Jun 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ronnieroobs
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Originally Posted by Mrs sun View Post
Get a villa, use Uber and lyft, plenty of options for eating out then! You really don’t need a car if you choose the right area! I suggest Formosa gardens area... Windsor hills, sunset lakes , Lind fields etc
Do people actually bother reading the thread before they post? The OP has clearly stated several times onsite without a car as that’s what works for them.
ronnieroobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Don’t you benefit from having a kitchen in your DVC room? I imagine $1k excludes breakfast in a restaurant
Yes we do. But even where not (Universal last year) most US rooms have a fridge and we keep cereal and have that in room. I’d have no interest in eating 3 meals a day in restaurants paying all the tips for starters and we would only eat cereal anyway. We go to WDW a lot, and don’t spend huge amounts and don’t think we have any lesser experience than we used to on DDP- in fact we quickly got sick to the back teeth of tearing around for ADRs all the time. I usually book a sit down meal every other day but we end up cancelling some off as we all end up deciding we’d rather go in Epcot and sit quickly at the Japanese and walk around instead.
And buying drinks most of the time in a park we don’t do. I just take drinks in, in my backpack. And snacks. Usually spend about $200 on an Instacart delivery. We do usually buy 3 refillable mugs (my wife doesn’t bother with much and prefers bottled water which we buy by the case for pennies on Instacart). We do buy the odd snack and drink though.
Aside from some notable exceptions such as Wave, most Disney restaurants are average and grossly overpriced and once people start paying OOP, many will see this and their interest in eating in them all the time will quickly wane.

Edited at 07:40 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Yes we do. But even where not (Universal last year) most US rooms have a fridge and we keep cereal and have that in room. I’d have no interest in eating 3 meals a day in restaurants paying all the tips for starters and we would only eat cereal anyway. We go to WDW a lot, and don’t spend huge amounts and don’t think we have any lesser experience than we used to on DDP- in fact we quickly got sick to the back teeth of tearing around for ADRs all the time. I usually book a sit down meal every other day but we end up cancelling some off as we all end up deciding we’d rather go in Epcot and sit quickly at the Japanese and walk around instead.
And buying drinks most of the time in a park we don’t do. I just take drinks in, in my backpack. And snacks. Usually spend about $200 on an Instacart delivery. We do usually buy 3 refillable mugs (my wife doesn’t bother with much and prefers bottled water which we buy by the case for pennies on Instacart). We do buy the odd snack and drink though.
Aside from some notable exceptions such as Wave, most Disney restaurants are average and grossly overpriced and once people start paying OOP, many will see this and their interest in eating in them all the time will quickly wane.
With regards to eating at restaurants If you eat at qs restaurants you don't pay tips. Saves a fortune.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
MissBunny
Getting Excited

Maybe for a few of the nights you're there you could try using something like UberEats to get takeout from offsite locations delivered to your Disney resort? You'd just need to look into what places deliver, and what ones would be suitable for your dietary requirements.
MissBunny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsSevSpaghetti View Post
Gizzypop I used the restaurants we go to - the Italians, coral reef, T. rex etc

Keith - no car and not wanting to go off site.
Well, if you cannot or can't compromise, you are going to be spending a fortune onsite for food.

In December we found that we didn't need a big breakfast and I just purchased coffee for three and a pastry each. Not expensive at all.

It can be as expensive as you wish or there can be ways to eat for less, unfortunately if you refuse to see any more of Florida, you are going to be captive to expensive pricing.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Kev Harrison View Post
Well, if you cannot or can't compromise, you are going to be spending a fortune onsite for food.

In December we found that we didn't need a big breakfast and I just purchased coffee for three and a pastry each. Not expensive at all.

It can be as expensive as you wish or there can be ways to eat for less, unfortunately if you refuse to see any more of Florida, you are going to be captive to expensive pricing.
I agree. Unless you're willing to make some sort of compromise, you will just have to suck it up and pay the Disney prices. There's no way I am paying $50 for a substandard steak at Disney, when I know I can go offsite and pay half that for a better experience. You can still do Disney, and leave Disney at the same time... we have always been onsite with DDP until last year, where we stayed onsite and did a mix of both and loved it. But, if you don't want to go offsite then you have to pay the prices unfortunately!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSevSpaghetti
Getting Excited

Mobile

I think I did drive and had a car then there would be no point staying at Disney anyway.
I like giving the car up for 2 weeks and not having to pay for things.
I have some hope deals will be reintroduced otherwise doing Disney is just not going to be a thing anymore.
MrsSevSpaghetti is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

How about Disneyland Paris? You only need a few days there so wouldn't have huge food bills.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Alice Disney
Proud to wear my Ears

There is a thread for best value onsite places to eat OOP which may be of use. Hopefully as time goes on people will add more recommendations to it.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1174597
Alice Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
OP unfortunately if you can't compromise on going offsite, & I'm not saying you should, then the prices are the prices. It all adds up, look at it like this, Disney versus offsite:
Breakfast - $3-$5 per person more expensive
Lunch - $5-$8
Dinner - +$20
x all that by the number of people X the days there & it all adds up, not to mention (without getting into a Tips argument!) Disney 18%-20% & most offsite's 15%-18%
I've "argued" for ages that Free Dining "hides" the real cost of Disney food & as generally all you are paying is the Tip, it sort of goes un-noticed IYKWIM
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List