Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Jun 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Am I right in saying that the FAA and Boeing became too cosy? Basically Boeing could do what they liked with minimal oversight.
Well I know what the AAIB think, I have two ex colleagues who moved there a few years ago. As there has been no official report it's difficult for me to comment but the general feeling is that the aircraft should have been grounded after the first accident.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

For me the DC10 was jyst a flying coffin, I would never take a flight with a DC10 and I have flown in some doozies over the years, both in the RAF and as a Civvy.
The 737 max gives me the same chills, but reading more about Boeing lately including sone reports from whistleblowers to Congress, it seems that they have been cutting corners on new models
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Originally Posted by patjeff63 View Post
I read today that tests are starting on the MAX 737.

I could never ever fly in one of these planes, even if they pass every test going. If it meant no holiday, then no holiday it is. Personally the thought that they have crashed killing so many people because of faults makes it a never ever for me. Of course, other dibbers could have a very different take on flying in the Max, just my personal opinion and a nervous flyer at times.
I totally agree but my concern is how would you know you were booking a flight on one, or what if the flight was switched to one last minute and you didn't know. That would be my worry. Or is there an exact way of knowing before you're at the gate?
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Does anyone really think that airlines are going to buy any of these anyway. With Covid19 and a recession likely throughout the entire world airlines will be going bust hand over fist and there will be plenty of bargain priced planes available.
Old 29 Jun 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Neil & Stella View Post
Does anyone really think that airlines are going to buy any of these anyway. With Covid19 and a recession likely throughout the entire world airlines will be going bust hand over fist and there will be plenty of bargain priced planes available.
Yes they will, provided that there are pax willing to sit on them. They may rename and relaunch, confining the word 'Max' to history. Most pax would never know. There are 387 delivered with a further 4000 plus on order.

Let us not forget that the DC9 became the MD80, then the MD95 and then to this day, the Boeing717. How many travellers are aware that the original DC9 had a rather high attrition rate, with 976 built, of which there were 145 Hull losses and 3697 fatalities? A few DC9's are still flying.
There have been 10000 737s delivered for 214 Hull losses and 5565 fatalities.
The DC9 occupies a timeline and development very similar to the Boeing 737. The 737 that actually first flew in 1967 and the DC9 in 1965.

Reasons why the MAX will survive.
1. There may be contractual obligations attached to purchases.
2. These aircraft offer considerable seat/fuel/mile savings over older airframes. That is why the order book stands at 4600.
3. There are believed 400 of these airframes currently sitting at Renton and nearby fields, minus engines. Boeing resumed low rate production of the Max in May. They are clearly optimistic for the future.
4. Old airframes become maintenance heavy over years of service.That is why they eventually cease flying and are replaced.
5. to replace an airframe with a new one is a business based decision. If the sums didn't add up, then there would be no buy and we would still be in B737 100's. The first A380 has already been torn down after around 10 years flying because the sums did not add up.

This is just the same as orders for A350, B787, B777 new generation, etc etc etc. They will still be delivered to airlines and leasing corporations still in business and regardless of the anticipated downturn.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:31 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
I totally agree but my concern is how would you know you were booking a flight on one, or what if the flight was switched to one last minute and you didn't know. That would be my worry. Or is there an exact way of knowing before you're at the gate?
you can achieve a 99.9% accuracy rate 24hrs before take off

using sites like flightaware, flightradar24, airframes.net and others, you'll be able to see what plane you're scheduled on
and at online check in, the cabin plan where you select seats will be telling you

but, there is always that .1% aka the spanner in the works.
let's say your plane has technical issues. It may be replaced, at the gate, by another aircraft (usually at the end of a fairly looooong wait)

but, your plane may also be cancelled on the day. Planes will rotate between several destinations. Your plane to Orlando may come from Orlando, or San Fransisco, or New Dehli, or whatever
if your plane has been delayed enough, or is stuck at another airport, your company may quite well decide to rebook you on a partner airline, or an alternate route involving more plane changes (and obviously more planes)
At that point, you have no control over the type of plane you'll be rebooked on

those are rare occurences, but they do happen.

depends on where you comfort zone is.
If you want 100% sure ... then the answer is no, you can't be 100% sure

in the vast majority of cases, the plane shown when you book is the type of plane you'll fly on. And the type of plane should be noted on the flight details before you book (just remember it should be read as : scheduled as of now, may change without notice)

Edited at 09:20 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List