Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Aug 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Children love things to unwrap so I would be wrapping things that i probably would have bought anyway. New socks, new underwear, tshirt or dress. Maybe new plate and mug. Lots of things to unwrap.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Lisaw1971 View Post
Birthdays - depends what the want / need - I budget around £300-£400 on presents & the entertainment / celebrations etc
(This year my 19yr old had 4 seperate events - to stay within social distancing guidelines etc

Christmas is about £600/700 on what they want & then I sneak things in on top that I know they need!

We don’t ever make holidays (with us) part of their presents as we were happy as older teenagers they still wanted to come! younger one still does (19) she’s starting uni so freebie hols for a while yet.
Older one is working now - she wants to go with her BF so she can pay for it! If she comes with us we’ll pay for it!
No I don’t count holidays as presents as such , it just so happened we were in the USA when my eldest turned 21 and she wanted to go to Disney which wasn’t in plans otherwise.

So we had a week in Orlando for her did the parks , Christmas party and 2 character breakfasts etc , things we wouldn’t normally do .

If they come away with us then we pay , I don’t mind I’m just happy they are there , and I also pay for the granddaughter.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

I don’t calculate what I spend but This year 14 year old is a hover board and a few bits and pieces. Then a day out go karting, and a house party for grandparents etc.
Oldest will be 18 this year, I am really struggling but i am thinking a nice watch and he has asked for some new beats.

For Christmas they both want a PS5 and so does my husband! That is not going to be cheap but then again i want the new dyson straighteners which are also very pricey.
We spend what we can afford.
At 6 OP I wouldn’t worry to much because when she gets to 16 it might be a different ball game lol

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

My daughter is turning 4 in a month, and I try to stick to around 50 euros. She gets something around 50 euros from us, then also ~£50 from her nanny in the UK and ~50 euros from her grandma here in Holland - both of them prefer me to pick the present, so it usually adds up to around 2 bigger things for around 150 in total. This year it's a Duplo train set, a smaller doll castle, and a step! As an extra, I'm also wrapping up her new lunch box and water bottle - she'll be starting school so she needs them anyway. She'll be over the moon and doesn't need anything more.
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I only have one child. He is fifteen now. We spend about £300 on him for his birthday and around £600 on him for Christmas, though sometimes we don’t stick to budget.
If we had more children, each would obviously get much less.
Reereef is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Children love things to unwrap so I would be wrapping things that i probably would have bought anyway. New socks, new underwear, tshirt or dress. Maybe new plate and mug. Lots of things to unwrap.
See in my experience that hasn't always been the case- mine often got overwhelmed and didn't want to unwrap lots, it was a huge pile of presents for me not them. They (even when young) were much happier with less rather than overwhelmed with stuff.

I'll never forget a Christmas when my cousin was about 3. She opened a present and went "oh no not another doll" and threw it onto a pile. My Uncle was really cross with her but she was just overwhelmed.

I know that everyone is different but we much prefer less "stuff" and focusing on fun things to do together. I have a friend who is horrified at how little we buy for birthdays and christmas but she bought and wrapped 10 tubs of chocolate for her teens last Christmas as the pile didn't look big enough!
Old 7 Aug 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
See in my experience that hasn't always been the case- mine often got overwhelmed and didn't want to unwrap lots, it was a huge pile of presents for me not them. They (even when young) were much happier with less rather than overwhelmed with stuff.

I'll never forget a Christmas when my cousin was about 3. She opened a present and went "oh no not another doll" and threw it onto a pile. My Uncle was really cross with her but she was just overwhelmed.

I know that everyone is different but we much prefer less "stuff" and focusing on fun things to do together. I have a friend who is horrified at how little we buy for birthdays and christmas but she bought and wrapped 10 tubs of chocolate for her teens last Christmas as the pile didn't look big enough!
I agree, it's about getting a balance
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

To an extent it depends what they want/ need. Our youngest will be 16 in a.couple of weeks. We're going out for a family meal and he is getting a laptop as a gift. That is.more than we would usually spend, although we see it as a 'big' birthday so would spend a bit more. However, with lockdown he has been doing a lot of school work on his Dad's laptop and will need to continue to submit school work online so we see it as a bit of an investment in his education. He also gets maths tutoring via zoom so will.use the laptop for a lot more than just games and social media
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

It depends on how old they are and what they would like/need its getting more expensive now but when they are younger money tend to go further
I try not to buy for the sake of if but I like to make sure they have a few presents to open.

At 6 half the fun is opening the gifts regardless of content so nothing wrong with getting a couple of cheapy ones to bulk out the pile
Poundland or similar have lots of frozen themed art sets
some of her favourite sweets- my kids love the sweet/snack hampers I do them for xmas
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I still do a Xmas sack for DS. Now he's older and his choice of present(like a ps4 game) is small I bulk it up with clothes and other stuff like pencil case. Last year I put in an ion water bottle and that has been a great buy. 😁
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List