Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jul 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
danc99
Having Dinner with Goofy

Anyone know when Global Entry might restart?

I applied for Global Entry for my wife and daughter (I already have it through work) back in Feb or early March (oh, the joys of hindsight!) and its been in limbo ever since.

We were supposed to be going end Aug (which IMHO isn't happening, though VA are currently still in denial), and I know ESTAs applications are still working (but I'm assuming they are an automated process whereas GE might need a human to intervene).

I guess this is the crystal ball question, but anyone on the other side of the pond know if DHS (or whoever it is) is planning to re-open GE?

Not that it matters for this year, but I seem to recall once "conditionally approved" you only have 6 months or a year to travel and do the interview on arrival thing... this all assumes the border is even open

Thanks all
danc99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Even before Covid approvals were taking 5-7 months after submitting an application - those delays were due to the US Gov budget shutdown backlog which was never really cleared from last year.

People who have conditional approval and are waiting for interview normally have 365 days to complete the process. This is being extended by an additional 120 days due to Covid.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
danc99
Having Dinner with Goofy

Ok, thanks. It wasn't essential for the Aug trip (and even less so now!)
Its a pain there is no email confirmation, we just log on about once a month to see if there is any update.

As long as its a year+ to complete we should be okay (as much as anyone can plan these days).
danc99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

I received my conditional approval last Friday, we sent the US part of the application in early October so it’s taken a lot longer than I imagined. Our info says we have 365 days to book an interview which is ok assuming our April holiday happens as planned.
Old 15 Jul 20, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Mobile

Not to sound stupid but what is global entry? I thought you only needed an Esta for the USA? Am I going to need one for next year?
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Not to sound stupid but what is global entry? I thought you only needed an Esta for the USA? Am I going to need one for next year?
No you won't.

It's a process you can go through where they do enhanced checks which allow you to get through immigration more quickly. It has a cost to it, but for frequent visitors it can be very much worthwhile.

Just an ESTA will be all you need to use the standard immigration system.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have had Global Entry for some time and find it invaluable.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

We applied in September 2019.

Approval came through March 20th.

We've had a bunch of emails saying just ask for an interview on arrival. Hopefully we will do so on 30th October...
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
No you won't.

It's a process you can go through where they do enhanced checks which allow you to get through immigration more quickly. It has a cost to it, but for frequent visitors it can be very much worthwhile.

Just an ESTA will be all you need to use the standard immigration system.
Thanks! Panic over.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
We applied in September 2019.

Approval came through March 20th.

We've had a bunch of emails saying just ask for an interview on arrival. Hopefully we will do so on 30th October...
Good news, I recommend booking an interview though during your stay as a back up plan. It will be cancelled by the officer who approves you if you do get it done on arrival.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List